Rattler in deer blind!

Steuben Jerry

Just saw this article. Remind me to never go hunting in Mississippi!

Heck I freaked out when a little lethargic garter snake peeked under my turkey blind a few years ago. I don't know if I'd hold it together if all of a sudden a rattler started rattling in the tent with me!

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/mississippi-hunter-rattlesnake-deer-stand

@Belo weren't you living and hunting in Mississippi a few years back?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Heck I freaked out when a little lethargic garter snake peeked under my turkey blind a few years ago. I don't know if I'd hold it together if all of a sudden a rattler started rattling in the tent with me!

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/mississippi-hunter-rattlesnake-deer-stand

it is an odd woods when you know there are things that can kill YOU. Worst i had was a cottonmouth go scurrying in front of me to a pond... which was good because they're know to chase you.

51 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Imagine this? 10 foot black mamba in your ground blind

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/LIVEHUNTS/Leopard2004/INDEX.CFM?DAY=8

When I hunted southern Arizona twice, i was told to buy quality snake boots. I did. Those big rattlers are no joke especially when you are hours and miles on foot away from hospital. Parts of PA are loaded with Timber rattlers and hunters get bit time to time. it's a long recovery.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

I rode an elevator once that a bat came into.  Couldn't get to the next floor fast enough as it buzzed me. 

I know they are basically mice with wings but all those bad horror movies leave an imprint on your mind.

They are actually very beneficial creatures.  If you have bats you don't have mosquitoes.  One bat eats  hundreds a night

Snake in a blind.  Ya gun a gun right?  Don't you watch Westerns?  You never see them miss with a pistol and they never shoot twice.

Blow them to ell

40 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

:::Steuben Jerry crossing off Mississippi as a future home state:::

oxford is really a beautiful area. 1k of acres of public land just 20 minutes away. Nice college/family town and deer season is 10/1 through mid January. But yeah... the creepiest thing was the first night bowhunt I had where all the trees were glittery on my headlamp. Upon closer inspection there was some massive spider hatch that day. 

Noped it right out of there

• Like 1

I think I was bitten by a brown-recluse spider in my western NY pop-up blind in 2018.  I have not hunted out of that since.    Snakes don't scare me much.   Hogs are the biggest reason I like the deer hunting better up north.  I have little use for pork on the table, but I love venison.   I am thankful that those hogs don't make out very well in the cold.  They are very easy to keep under control when the climate limits them to one litter a year.   That is why we do not see much of them up here.      

Edited by wolc123

5ce6403ed94c3dc933e395a5f092ced7.jpg&key=ef28abfe4b33cb61e434d7922c37bfcfd853f993f602d9dd3ab0849a07449a2a

Here’s a rattler in Arizona when I was there hunting lions. The guide is 6-4” for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dam, I’m going out for a week vacation in the end of April. I lived out there for a few years but didn’t spend much time outside of Scottsdale.

I’m thinking of doing a guided predator hunt one night for fun. Might need to bring some snake boots?

Dam, I’m going out for a week vacation in the end of April. I lived out there for a few years but didn’t spend much time outside of Scottsdale.

I’m thinking of doing a guided predator hunt one night for fun. Might need to bring some snake boots?

Depends on the temp. I saw none in February when I hunted. But a few in October. I think the spring/summer is the worst. That was south of Tuscon I was hunting.

When I’ve gone to Scottsdale with my wife for fun. I’ve never seen any golfing or hiking (camelback), but I’m sure they are around. I see a coyote when golfing in Scottsdale

On 1/4/2020 at 7:20 AM, bugsNbows said:

Bunch o sissies. Florida is worse. It gets cold enough in Miss to slow the snakes down. Usually not in Florida.

it's not like I stopped hunting. It's all relative to what you're used to. I know a bunch of southern hunters who wont even go out if it's below 40... too cold lol.

On 1/4/2020 at 7:45 AM, wolc123 said:

I think I was bitten by a brown-recluse spider in my western NY pop-up blind in 2018.  I have not hunted out of that since.    Snakes don't scare me much.   Hogs are the biggest reason I like the deer hunting better up north.  I have little use for pork on the table, but I love venison.   I am thankful that those hogs don't make out very well in the cold.  They are very easy to keep under control when the climate limits them to one litter a year.   That is why we do not see much of them up here.      

I thought you were a God fearing man. Did you convert to Islam? 

8 hours ago, Belo said:

I thought you were a God fearing man. Did you convert to Islam? 

I just don't care for the taste of pork.  I would rate it a notch below chicken and two below turkey. I can handle it about once a month, but that is about it. I don't even like bacon.   I don't know squat about Islam, but the Bibles old Testament clearly puts pork on the "do not eat" list.   Of course Jesus took away all those rules, leaving just one, so there is no religious argument against my eating pork now.  I simply would pick almost any other meat first, if given the choice.     

If my deer-meat supply were ever cut off,   I would be ok with eating beef and baked or broiled fish every other day.   Fish is the only white meat that I really like, especially bass.    Whenever I go to a pig-roast, I always try talking the host into putting a hind quarter of venison inside the pig before it goes on the spit.   That is way better to me than the roasted pig.  

During a Bill's game party, on the last weekend of ML season, our host took a plate full of rare button buck chops off the grill for me, before he wrapped the rest with bacon for the other guests.  They were awesome, and it was a meal that I will never forget.  I tried one of the leftover charred ones with the bacon later, and it sucked in comparison.                

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I just don't care for the taste of pork.  I would rate it a notch below chicken and two below turkey. I can handle it about once a month, but that is about it. I don't even like bacon.   I don't know squat about Islam, but the Bibles old Testament clearly puts pork on the "do not eat" list.   Of course Jesus took away all those rules, leaving just one, so there is no religious argument against my eating pork now.  I simply would pick almost any other meat first, if given the choice.     

If my deer-meat supply were ever cut off,   I would be ok with eating beef and baked or broiled fish every other day.   Fish is the only white meat that I really like, especially bass.    Whenever I go to a pig-roast, I always try talking the host into putting a hind quarter of venison inside the pig before it goes on the spit.   That is way better to me than the roasted pig.  

During a Bill's game party, on the last weekend of ML season, our host took a plate full of rare button buck chops off the grill for me, before he wrapped the rest with bacon for the other guests.  They were awesome, and it was a meal that I will never forget.  I tried one of the leftover charred ones with the bacon later, and it sucked in comparison.                

fair enough. I dont disagree that pork is further down the list of preference for me as well, but I've never turned it away. Love me a ham sandwich. 

I will raise an eyebrow to your bacon comment though :)

7 hours ago, Belo said:

fair enough. I dont disagree that pork is further down the list of preference for me as well, but I've never turned it away. Love me a ham sandwich. 

I will raise an eyebrow to your bacon comment though :)

Canadian bacon is a little better.  Ain't that ham ?   Corned beef is similar to ham but I like it more.   Something about all that fat in the bacon, that just turns my stomach.  Also, it is usually way too salty for me.