All done for the year..how did your camp make out?

G-Man

Well had a average year again 19 deer taken out of camp from bow gun and muzzleloader

Several 1st deer and biggest buck taken for members in camp..bringing total from 1993 to 403 deer taken, if you average 35lbs of boneless meat from a deer it's a little over 7 tons of meat In friends and family's freezers.  Perhaps the hunting in ny isnt so bad...

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 9

That's pretty good G-Man.  Of the group I hunted with, I think we killed 12 or 13 with about 1/2 being bucks  (all but one on a small 30 acre piece). 3 killed their best or 2d best bucks .  Plus we had 3 new hunters out at my place - each had a shot and one scored.  Not bad at all. 

• Like 7

It was a solid year. I shot my best NY buck during xbow. Dad shot a 6pt with shotgun, but wounded one with the xbow. Dad bought the land in 2016, so this was season number 4 for us. We are still learning it, but doing much better than we ever could have anticipated. We killed 7 bucks (2.5 or better) combined in 4 seasons on 30 acres. One wounded (this year by Dad with xbow), and One nice 8pt I had at 20yds with shotgun in 2017 and couldn't get a shot off. 9 2.5 or better bucks killed would have been great, but 7 is still solid for 3N where the buck take is 1.9 bucks per sq. mile and I'm sure more than half of those are 1.5's.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

82 ish acres in 9h.......1 buck during bow season.....125" 8pt. Opening day gun along with a spike and 2 antlerless. The only miss I think came the second weekend in December on a nice size doe leaving the standing corn and browsing a woodline heading to bedding.
Overall great season being our only 3rd year on the property.....learned alot about movement......just need to pin them down for the next year.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We had a great year at the club on our almost 500 acres. After 7 years of bow and gun hunting a great guy got his first ever deer on the opening day of the regular season and its was a beautiful 8 pointer that's now at the taxidermist. Another gentlemen after 14 years of on and off not so serious hunting shot his first deer during the gun season a button buck after having some bad luck during bow on a couple different deer. Another shot a nice buck and doe while his 6 year old son was with him in the stand a first experience for them to be together. I of course had an awesome year taking 3 deer then to end the season 7 of us set out to drive our entire property moving 7 different deer and taking 3 of them. We covered between 7.5-8.5 miles that last day of the regular season. I hope every season is just like this one for the rest of my life. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, virgil said:

Curious, how many guys and how much land in your camp?
My buddy and I each took a doe this year. Didn’t see any shooter bucks. 

12 successful hunters,  had 14 people at one time , hunter numbers fluctuated in between 14 and 2 on any given day. Maybe 20 total including guests for day here or there.

300 acres I do heavy habitat management on. 

• Like 6

We took 3 does and 3 bucks on 138 acres. My wife took her best buck (at the taxidermist) and as far as we know 80% of the bigger local bucks are still on their feet for 2020. Lots of sightings of deer, two flocks of turkeys almost every day, foxes, and various critters. Also had a bald eagle surveying one of our fields one afternoon.

Lots of family time, good food, but sadly not enough beer consumed. Just think how big those beers will be next year! :drinks:

• Like 2

We killed a 10 with the rifle and a 5 with the crossbow on a 50-acre parcel. We had a few decent shooters on the trailcams, but all pics were during the night. Hopefully, we will get an opportunity to score with them next season.

Wow...15 deer off 50 acres seems like a lot to me...is that a typical year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

had a good year if you include neighboring properties. within a mile of our farm (say 4 sq miles). bucks were bigger and doe still in numbers to justify taking some despite numbers are down a bit. within that golden triangle of 6 or so property owners  15 doe and 13 bucks were taken. bucks were 2.5+ yr olds and meeting our minimum of 15" spread and 3 pts on each side. few were close and one over 200 lbs dressed. DEC's published data for this WMU is 3 doe per sq mile and buck take objective that i don't think has ever been reported to be met in this WMU is 4.5 bucks per sq mile.

• Like 1