Land lease question

Steuben Jerry

I know there’s been quite a few lease threads, but I’ve got a slightly different situation. Our land is L shaped and on the inside of the L, we wrap around two sides of a 62 acre corn field which is not posted. The farmer also has a house on the road front of that property that he rents to a tenant. The tenant comes to the back of the corn field and hunts deer but shoots in toward us. I had a trespassing issue three years ago when the tenant was new, but that hasn’t been an issue since. Being unposted, we also see others that walk in from the road, not trespassing on us but posting up 100 yds away and shooting toward our woods. I don’t really care for this situation and am thinking of making an offer to lease the property for hunting and hopefully be able to put up posted signs on the borders.

So I’m trying to think of a fair offer. It’s not really huntable for deer as he leaves the corn standing til muzzleloader season (he grows 5 years of corn, 5 years of alfalfa, and just had year two of the corn cycle). For spring turkey it’s good, but that’s about it. I wouldn’t really use the property all that much, I’m more interested in just locking it up and treating it as a big food plot.

I met the owner when I first moved here 12 years ago but he has since turned the business over to his sons whom I haven’t met yet. They own or lease quite a few different properties in the area. They come in the spring to plant, and come back in the fall to cut. That’s the only activity there. There’s no features besides the crops and one hedgerow bisecting the field. No water, just a big open field, although there is 3-4 acres of woods near the back.

On the pic the red is our place, the blue is what I’m thinking of leasing.

I was thinking $10/acre? Thoughts?

44AB882C-3E69-4DFB-8A6C-A019F4AC538E.jpeg

Edited by Steuben Jerry

If they would go for that, it seems like a fair offer.  My guess is that they would not, and that a bidding war will start.  If someone else wins that, your situation may worsen.  If you win it, your venison is going to get a a lot more expensive.  

A better option might be to work directly with the tenant.   Maybe you could reach some type of mutually beneficial understanding whereby you and him would post the sons property, cutting off the "road-hunters".  He would gain a bit more access your property (recovery rights with a phone call, etc.).   That way, you really are not loosing much, but stand to gain something.       

Edited by wolc123

You can go online and find out what they  pay in taxes on that property, that’s where you should start on your offer. Really anything less I wouldn’t think they would be interested. Good luck..

Edited by rob-c

I don't see a bidding war happening for an open field and no woods. I would go talk to them and I would offer $500 and let them know you own the attached land and wanted to use it just for access and hunting. Never hurts to ask. 

The tough sell is him not wanting to piss off the tenant. But who knows he could be not paying or a PITA or he may not know he is out there hunting.  I would ask. 

I think you need to think about how you frame the situation and approach the landowner. If you start with the approach that you and he have a mutual problem--tresspassers, and then you offer him a solution--you posting the property, I would think he'd be open to it. To me, there are two different things that could mean: 1.) To post and hunt the property. (If so, I think you need to offer hunter insurance, with the landowner as an additional insured, along with rent), or.2) you just post his property just to keep out trespassers, but you don't actually walk on, or shoot into, the cornfield. If he is liability sensitive, he may not want to giver permission to hunt, even with you having insurance. Won't know until you talk to him. I'd ask him what he'd wants. Let him through out the first number for rent, if at all possible. 

Any type of monetary offer to anyone at this point would be my last resort. You said you own your property. Do you live there or own just for recreation?

I would start with the tenant at the rental house. When was the last time you spoke to him/them personally? What's the person's status? Are they a friend, family or employee of the farmer owners? Find out what/if any interest in the property he might have. Does he have any legal "rights" to use it? I wouldn't mention hunting to anyone at this point unless they bring it up.

He's likely paying them $$$ monthly as a tenant. That income to the owner will be substantially above your lease offer. If they have an opinion on the use of the property it will be considered well before yours. Get a read on him first before you make any attempt to contact the owners.

I'm sure you'll also gain valuable intel by speaking with him. You could easily get names and info on the son running the farming operation etc. It's time to do a little off season "politicing" lol. Keep us updated on how you proceed.

I don't see anything wrong with starting low.  It's not the same as leasing it directly for hunting or leasing it to plant crops.  They still get to rotate crops through it.  They wouldn't be losing much, if anything by letting you lease it.  It would be worth the money to keep bullets from flying in your direction.