Jim Shockey

sbuff

2 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Nosler makes great bullets.  Hornady does as well.  Hornady just has more cash to offer Shockey to pimp their wares.  The man has no brand loyalty.  

^^ this ^^ 

He just got a raise .....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nyslowhand said:

Yeah, Shockey fell into the $$ trap. Not just him, look at most of the other hunting show hosts and how they've evolved into product sponsor host

So if Hornady came to you and said we will give you 250,000k to use our ammo you wouldn't do it?  It's his lively hood. Of course he takes it, who wouldn't.... If they don't have sponsers they don't have a show.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

So if Hornady came to you and said we will give you 250,000k to use our ammo you wouldn't do it?  It's his lively hood. Of course he takes it, who wouldn't.... If they don't have sponsers they don't have a show.  

Exactly.   It's a business. They are in business to make money, just like any other business.  Brand loyalty has absolutely nothing to do with it.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

When you pass yourself off as an expert, the tools you use are the one's that meet your specs.  If you switch tools, you're saying you were wrong about your choice.  Your expertise comes into question, especially when you are swayed by money.  Your integrity is suspect.

In the old days, people like Elmer Keith, Jack O'Conner and Col. Townsend Whelen didn't sell their souls for profit.  They stood by their choices with conviction and maintained their integrity against all critics and sponsors.

Those are the types of experts people respect and remember long after they're gone.  Going for the money just puts you in the sales category.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Rattler said:

In the old days, people like Elmer Keith, Jack O'Conner and Col. Townsend Whelen didn't sell their souls for profit.  They stood by their choices with conviction and maintained their integrity against all critics and sponsors.

Keith and O'Connor are two of my favorites, while those two had almost polar opposite views on some things, I think in the end they were both right.

Just got done reading Keith's old book "Sixguns" which was full of some tales to be sure especially the gun fighting chapter. I got a kick out of how Keith tested and developed bullets and loads for then new 44 mag. No ballistic gelatin blocks were used, he went out a shot a bunch of range bulls from different angles then performed post mortem autopsies to assess bullet penetration and killing performance.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rattler said:

When you pass yourself off as an expert, the tools you use are the one's that meet your specs.  If you switch tools, you're saying you were wrong about your choice.  Your expertise comes into question, especially when you are swayed by money.  Your integrity is suspect.

Those are the types of experts people respect and remember long after they're gone.  Going for the money just puts you in the sales category.

Lol.  Never heard of a single one of those guys.  But I know Jim shockey.  

And it's not like Hornady isn't a good product.  How do you know he only switched cause it is such a good product. So once you use something you can never change?  That's ridiculous and short sighted.  

A lot of these outdoor guys are nice guys, some jerks just like everyone else. But how can you dislike a guy cause he changed bullet brands , who cares.  

I wouldn't consider him a sell out cause he went to Hornady.  Seems pretty smart to me.  And no one understands that without sponsers there is no show. 

Bet if he was digging ditches instead and switched shovels no one would think he's a sell out. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

I happen to like Jim Shockey. I find his show uncharted to be very interesting.  I don't really care what brand he uses . I will continue to use what brand works for me . Just so happens I use hornady for most guns . You can't hold any harsh feeling  towards him as that's how he makes a living . Wish I was so lucky .

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, sbuff said:

I happen to like Jim Shockey. I find his show uncharted to be very interesting.  I don't really care what brand he uses . I will continue to use what brand works for me . Just so happens I use hornady for most guns . You can't hold any harsh feeling  towards him as that's how he makes a living . Wish I was so lucky .

If I could hunt and fish for a living I would carry a Hornady sign on my back up the Thruway!   Lol

Cracks me up that people think bad of someone cause they switch bullet sponsers.  While most of the people on TV and movies are so much more unlikeable but we will watch them and never question.  Esp when every person on TV has a sponser or there wouldn't be TV. 

Jim shockey was a guide long before this.  He worked hard for what he has and does.

What a jerk he is to sell bullets.  Lol

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

A lot of these outdoor guys are nice guys, some jerks just like everyone else. But how can you dislike a guy cause he changed bullet brands , who cares.  

I wouldn't consider him a sell out cause he went to Hornady. 

The definition of selling out is taking money for your endorsement.  If he chose to change ammo without financial gain, his opinion on the ammo would still have integrity. 

It's not that he isn't liked.  It's that he is a salesman, and everyone should have a healthy suspicion of salesmen.  If you're buying what he's selling, that's fine for you.  But when talking to a salesman, let the buyer beware.

Knowing his show is all about selling his sponsor's wares, makes his expert opinion less valuable IMHO.

30 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Jim shockey was a guide long before this.  He worked hard for what he has and does.

Actually he made his money to get into the hunting business as a expert/collector and owner of several antique shops across Canada specializing in native Canadian art.

• Like 4

I like the reference of Jim as a sales rep. That's exactly what he is, and I don't mean that negatively. He's charismatic, and recognizable, and so he sells. It's hard to compare him to the old timers. So much has changed and evolved. That's would be like comparing today's athletes with their cutting edge diets and training regimens and equipment to the iconic guys of yesteryear. Different game today than it was.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

I like the reference of Jim as a sales rep. That's exactly what he is, and I don't mean that negatively. He's charismatic, and recognizable, and so he sells. It's hard to compare him to the old timers. So much has changed and evolved. That's would be like comparing today's athletes with their cutting edge diets and training regimens and equipment to the iconic guys of yesteryear. Different game today than it was.

Agreed. He's a businessman/salesperson who makes a living being on a successful TV hunt/outdoors show. Good for him.

2 hours ago, airedale said:

I do not think anyone has said he is a Jerk.

Yes I know it was a joke.   Just seems people are awful hard on some of these hunting shows cause they try to hawk product. But if they don't they don't exist.  Hornady seems like a good company as well.  If he was talking bad about nosler maybe can see some issue. But he helped them for years too.  So he goes to Hornady doesn't make him a bad guy. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Actually he made his money to get into the hunting business as a expert/collector and owner of several antique shops across Canada specializing in native Canadian art.

Cool. Have seen him on shows buying a lot of folk art from countries he visits, that's prob why. 

Good to hear from you, been a while, hope all is well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Yes I know it was a joke.   Just seems people are awful hard on some of these hunting shows cause they try to hawk product. But if they don't they don't exist.  Hornady seems like a good company as well.  If he was talking bad about nosler maybe can see some issue. But he helped them for years too.  So he goes to Hornady doesn't make him a bad guy. 

I have been in camps where he has hunted with same guides/staff and shared camp for 10 days with the director of sales and marketing of Nosler on a hunt (that fellow maybe the most dedicated hunter I have ever met).

Never have heard a single complaint on Shockey from anyone in the least. Thats not always true of hunting "celebs" and have personally seen some disgraceful behavior (like an entire group not leaving a single tip to guides or staff; or continuously asking for free hunts even from other guests!).

14 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Cool. Have seen him on shows buying a lot of folk art from countries he visits, that's prob why. 

Good to hear from you, been a while, hope all is well. 

Taking time off hunting at the moment and diverting attention to other pursuits.