Topo maps

What’s up guys my name is Nick I usually always hunt the Catskill Mountains and Long Island. Next year I’m looking to hunt some state land in Pike County Pennsylvania it’s not to far from where I hunt in the Catskills. I was wondering if anybody can help me with reading the topographic maps of the state land. Looking for funnels, ridges, benches, saddles Ect. I look forward to hearing from you guys!

• Like 2

True TOPO maps have elevation lines on them. When lines are far apart, the elevation is fairly constant &/or flat. When the elevation lines start getting closer together, this marks semi-rapid changes in (up/down) elevation. IE; ridges, ravines, creeks, etc. Much easier to interpret TOPO maps while in the area of the map and get a 1st hand look at what TOPO maps are depicting. Not aware of any, but would be nice if HD aerial maps would have elevation lines also.

Get them free from usgs topo do not change much even an older one will work. Combine with sat photo or aerials use only and new as you can find. ( you can get quite a bit for free off the net) early spring photos reveal tree types like black cherry as they are 1st to sprout leaves and fall or winter photos reveal oak and beech as they retain their leaves the longest sometimes through winter. As you become more skilled you will be able to identify leaves in summer like oak as well. 

Flats on sides of steep slopes are great funnels and bedding areas, top and bottom of steep ravines , saddles between ridges,  combine with aerial photos to find habitat edges like pine stands to hardwoods/ brush/ field.. find you likely spots and get boots on ground in july and august with binoculars look to see if the oaks or other trees have nuts. A good tree identification book will help you here as well .GPS your tsrols and mast producing areas and wait for season to start.. best of luck hunting

• Like 1

What’s up guys my name is Nick I usually always hunt the Catskill Mountains and Long Island. Next year I’m looking to hunt some state land in Pike County Pennsylvania it’s not to far from where I hunt in the Catskills. I was wondering if anybody can help me with reading the topographic maps of the state land. Looking for funnels, ridges, benches, saddles Ect. I look forward to hearing from you guys!
Without investing a ton of time, I looked at 2 different state land areas. I started with terrain on Google maps, looking for natural funnels, which there's a bunch, so I followed all those funnels to see if there's an intersection or a flat area. Then I turned on satellite mode and looked for natural breaks in the trees / different color shading of the canopy. There is a few funnels and areas I would check out if I we're heading there. Lines I drew are funnels, X's are areas I would look for a stand tree. That 116 spot looks sweet. Little island of trees in the old creek bottom ( or so it seems). Perfect spot for a big old buck to hang out. Just my opinion. Make the trek up there and see what it looks like !! f6dfc3c414d4a2ffbe380d4fff551061.jpgfa0537116f7e8837d2f7fcf0535068f1.jpg9966b1d4aeccf0a97b27511e1c01b669.jpg5bc03f00f3512b99d46881e242ee8a90.jpgdd00c50c66b5954e3f1251f38541f1bb.jpg6cadfe7756fd8b3c709be403b19b69ad.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Small world. I hunted PA with xbow in October UB 2011 and 2013 in 2G clearfield county. Both those years I took my tag to SGL 180 in pike county for the January xbow season. They have several food plots and I have a beauty shed there with blood still on it. It was near 0 temps both times and couldn’t hunt Sunday so I only hunted Saturday. Tons of deer sign. I bet regular season is much better. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Small world. I hunted PA with xbow in October UB 2011 and 2013 in 2G clearfield county. Both those years I took my tag to SGL 180 in pike county for the January xbow season. They have several food plots and I have a beauty shed there with blood still on it. It was near 0 temps both times and couldn’t hunt Sunday so I only hunted Saturday. Tons of deer sign. I bet regular season is much better. Good luck!

Dug up some pics from 2011 season so January 2012.

48b22aafb4145652440ffe24ac7c8514.jpg0d6e47c5033d5150e4418a2441420beb.jpg64704dc2f1aace18c0c29670ff770ac6.jpgad63d07c0fd0de0ea9a3fa00e9e21d72.jpgefd18872a532c57735ea42a7453ab3da.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, genesee_mohican said:

I use this site to look at topo maps. You have to keep clicking on the area you want to look at to zoom in on it, then select topo from the drop down. It also has the satellite view.

https://www.mytopo.com/maps/index.cfm

Also, lots of good stuff on youtube on how to read them and find funnels.

Good link. These maps are identical to the ones I purchased years ago.