My DIY atv radiator relocate all mocked up with photos

Well I got it all welded up and finished the mock up. Figured I’d snap a few photos. I need to pick up some hose clamps, and  bungee cords to hold the ammo storage boxes down . I’m going to coat the radiator rack with truck bed liner. I installed external posts/ jump points  for the battery to make it  easier if I ever need to jump it or to just hook up the float charger for storage. 
Very happy how it turned out , wife’s will be next . 

FCEC4792-5EC7-4F08-B2F9-85A1C1065641.jpeg

571187F1-439E-44BA-9EF7-59D1C9EA0645.jpeg

4554E413-9656-4BE8-B594-C36E340A593C.jpeg

1C4DFCBA-2F47-42AD-A8F9-A6332BF25A90.jpeg

7DDAF1AD-4FAD-41B7-869A-AAD3CDFC4298.jpeg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

I’ve seen this type of setups on Mudding Atv’s, question, what’s the point of the relocate? Does it cool the ATV better?

It keeps the radiator from getting plugged with mud, wife and I both had instances last year where we had to pull over and let them cool off from the rads being plugged.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, grampy said:

Looks good! Will you have some kind of brush guard over it?

In the first photo  you can see the expanded steel mesh  screen that I painted black. It’s just siting on the frame,  I bought stainless sheet metal screws to attach it to the frame. 

• Like 1

Interesting idea and great fab job!

Out of curiosity, think the under carriage configuration on your Kodiak made radiator susceptible to mud clogging? I had an ATV from a different mfger, used it for ~12yrs in a wetlands environment, had super aggressive mud tires and never once had issue you had. Does it have something to do with design of fender wall or under carriage that causes this issue?

10 minutes ago, nyslowhand said:

Interesting idea and great fab job!

Out of curiosity, think the under carriage configuration on your Kodiak made radiator susceptible to mud clogging? I had an ATV from a different mfger, used it for ~12yrs in a wetlands environment, had super aggressive mud tires and never once had issue you had. Does it have something to do with design of fender wall or under carriage that causes this issue?

The 708’s from yamaha run lean to begin with so it doesn’t  take a lot to throw the engine temp light. Really any newer  big bore atv tends to easily over heat. And yes the openness of the inner fenders didn’t help. We never had our 00 400 and 04 450 kodiaks throw a engine temp light after mud bogging them , and still don’t now that our boys ride them. But the smaller cc quads tend to run cooler. We love to hit every mud hole we can and some holes  I’m in it up to the top of the fenders . So I had planned on doing this mod since summer. 

looks good. just something i noticed but a lot of radiators mounted on top of the rack have boxes to protect them a bit more on sides and front. front plate is set off the radiator face and has a bit more surface area versus a screen to shield it from mud. also if you're that wet not sure if you want a snorkle kit for the air box or fab up something?

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

looks good. just something i noticed but a lot of radiators mounted on top of the rack have boxes to protect them a bit more on sides and front. front plate is set off the radiator face and has a bit more surface area versus a screen to shield it from mud. also if you're that wet not sure if you want a snorkle kit for the air box or fab up something?

Yeah the Store bought rad relocate kits they bend sheet metal for the mount. If you notice on the aftermarket made ones the sheet metal is bent wide enough to bolt directly to the rack bars . I don’t like the big boxy look of them , my goal was to keep it compact and mine actually has more of a set back / rake than aftermarket one. So I used the expanded steel screen for max air flow  because of the rake. If I do get mud in my radiator it will be way easier to clean out on the rack .
And actually the stock location of the radiator was more exposed to damage than where I have it now . Plus the store bought kit for my kodiak is $180 , I have $70 in mine. You cant see it but my rad is 1/2 inch back  away from the screen ( notice in the second photo my 1/2 inch aluminum spacers on the mounting bolts between the rad and my frame. 

My intake tube runs under up the front of my seat and it’s higher than my crotch. And my intake and exhaust ports on my cvt are just as high. ( actually in the last photo you can see the intake of my cvt in the lower left ) I tend to stay out of mud/ water holes deeper than the top of my fenders. And if I do get into a deep one i just pull the front up for a water wheelie and that keeps everything out of the water. My goal was not to build a dedicated mud machine but to improve a few things to make it work better in the mud and still be able to pull logs move tree stands on the lease. Kinda a dual purpose atv. Plus in some states non factory snorkels are illegal . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2

That's all that a couple of my wife's cousins do. They look for the deepest wettest hole around. Their atvs are setup for the mud and not a whole lot else. Didnt know about the snorkel limitations in some states needing it to be factory.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1