New NY hunter

Dunc08

I recently moved to westchester county from vermont

last spring. I am looking to hunt rifle and the closest I can find is orange county. doing some research i really only see storm king state park and sterling forest. I am not finding very much information on either of these if anyone knows any other places in that area, or how good these areas are would be much appreciated, thank you.

There is West Point also. I believe that you need a dmp permit and have to fill the dmp tag before you harvest a Buck. Check into it they might have changed that rule, its been a while since I hunted there

You also have to be an active member of the armed forces or be a guest of one to hunt at West Point.

You also have to be an active member of the armed forces or be a guest of one to hunt at West Point.

I have not been there since 2008 maybe the rules have changed . This is what I found

For members of the general public who do not qualify under the above categories, there is one remaining opportunity for hunting. General public hunters who possess deer management permits issued by New York State for Unit 3P may hunt for deer at West Point during the Regular Deer Season (also known as the “gun season”), the Late Special Archery Season (following the Regular Season) and the Special Muzzle loader Season. Hunting during the Early Special Archery Season or Small-Game Hunting is not authorized nor is pre-season scouting. Access is controlled with a daily sign-in/sign-out process. There is a special West Point permit issued and registration procedures for this deer hunting opportunity. These procedures are not finalized until 1 October each year. Interested individuals can either sign up for e-mail notification or call after 1 October to recent the current procedures for the coming fall season. General public hunters must fill their 3P permits with an antlerless deer at West Point before they are allowed to take an antlered deer.

Because the deer management permits for Unit 3P are limited, interested hunters are encouraged to obtain their 3P permit from New York State before the 1 October deadline.

Only went up to Sterling once all year and only for an hour or two. Never really hiked far from the road. Didn't notice any signs. Then again, I'm new to the game as well so I might have walked past an obvious sign and not even notice it. During last winter I saw some tracks and droppings (much easier to see on top of frozen snow) so there are some deers there.

• 3 weeks later...