Crazy question

Chef

So I live in 3r rockland county. This is a shotgun only county. Most of the towns have discharge ordinances which make most of the county bow only. I just came into a place to hunt next year In the county that would offer me more than enough space to hunt with a fire arm. Of course that town has a discharge ordinance. I read it and it says no discharge of a fire arm. If I am correct under both New York and federal law a muzzleloader is not a fire arm. Is it worth pushing the boundaries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Chef said:

So I live in 3r rockland county. This is a shotgun only county. Most of the towns have discharge ordinances which make most of the county bow only. I just came into a place to hunt next year In the county that would offer me more than enough space to hunt with a fire arm. Of course that town has a discharge ordinance. I read it and it says no discharge of a fire arm. If I am correct under both New York and federal law a muzzleloader is not a fire arm. Is it worth pushing the boundaries.

Did they not revise law? I know they blocked felons from owning a muzzleloader. I bet it's one of those left to discretion of law enforcment to interpret it , but maybe worth asking.

I was asked to remove some coyotes from Rockland a few years back after one ate my friend’s dog from his backyard. He has a nice property on top of hill with only one neighbor and I still wouldn’t shoot a gun of any type up there. Actually I had a PO question why I was wearing camo up there when I was getting ready for an evening bow hunt.
Any shot you fire (regardless of legality) will have a PO response

• Like 1

Why take a chance ? If your not interested in a vertical bow buy a crossbow. 

I bow hunt and own a cross bow I’m just curious. Especially because the only penalty is a $200 fine

14 minutes ago, Chef said:

I bow hunt and own a cross bow I’m just curious. Especially because the only penalty is a $200 fine

I would find it very hard to believe that if a PO deemed your ML to be a firearm that only $200 fine would come of ithat. It could potentially lead to your arrest and seizure of the ML.

I would find it very hard to believe that if a PO deemed your ML to be a firearm that only $200 fine would come of ithat. It could potentially lead to your arrest and seizure of the ML.

I just read a little further they can also put you in jail for a term not to exceed 15 days lol

27 minutes ago, Chef said:

Only a $200 fine ? I can think of 20 other things I would rather spend $200 on. And shooting a deer isn’t worth it in my opinion. 

Only a $200 fine ? I can think of 20 other things I would rather spend $200 on. And shooting a deer isn’t worth it in my opinion. 

I bet money invested you are way over 200 per deer

9 minutes ago, Chef said:

I bet money invested you are way over 200 per deer

I bet you are 100% right. Let me rephrase. it’s not worth taking a deer that may be deemed  illegal. When there’s legal options. 

Edited by rob-c

Well get this one.  The Town of Pittsford considers a bow and X-bow as a firearm.  Now that defies logic.  Town next to it,  Penfield does not. Feet makes the difference between legal and illegal

Local municipality can make more stringent rules than State or Federal requirements but not less stringent.  I would check with town for definition and get it in writing so when you get visit from law enforcement you got the goods.  Don't expect police to know nuances of the law  

Only thing bucking this trend is pot.   Go figure

• Like 1

Do you think that it's easier to ask for Forgiveness , than to ask for Permission ? :rolleyes:

In most situations yes. Don’t worry I will only be bow hunting here just thought this might make a fun off season thread

I knew Rockland was shotgun like Putnam but never knew towns block you from using shotgun. I never hunted Rockland but when I go to the sportsman show in suffern it seems like I drove past a lot of woods

I am not sure I would hunt unless I talked to the PD first........There is NO WAY you could use a shotgun .....Thats out of the question...I do know guys bow hunt up on Hi Tor MTN......Some real monsters up there...I can make a few phone calls tommorrow.....

• Like 1

I am not sure I would hunt unless I talked to the PD first........There is NO WAY you could use a shotgun .....Thats out of the question...I do know guys bow hunt up on Hi Tor MTN......Some real monsters up there...I can make a few phone calls tommorrow.....

Not trying to put too much in public but the place I’m taking about is I’m that general area though not in the park or actually on the mountain

8 minutes ago, Chef said:

Not trying to put too much in public but the place I’m taking about is I’m that general area though not in the park or actually on the mountain

No problem...I well try to find out more for you....

• Like 1