String Loops

Deleted Account

So I'm toying with the idea of buying a used Mathews Switchback. I shot one years ago, and really liked it. However, most that I find are no longer than a 29" draw, and I really need a 30". I have used a string loop to pull out the draw length a little bit in the past (I think maybe 1/2"), but I don't know if I can stretch a whole inch of draw with a string loop. Does anyone have any advice?

The switchback specs is listed that it goes to 30 inch draw, so you may be able to find a 30 inch draw cam . Now having said that, I’ve read  and from working on a few of my buddy’s Mathews that they tend to run 1/4 to 1/2 inch long in the draw. While not a ideal way to get you to 30 you could run a longer loop and it may get you there. But your anchor would probably suffer a bit. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rob-c said:

The switchback specs is listed that it goes to 30 inch draw, so you may be able to find a 30 inch draw cam . Now having said that, I’ve read  and from working on a few of my buddy’s Mathews that they tend to run 1/4 to 1/2 inch long in the draw. While not a ideal way to get you to 30 you could run a longer loop and it may get you there. But your anchor would probably suffer a bit. 

Finding one with a 30" draw is the issue, it's almost impossible. Good to know that they run a little long, that makes me feel better. I'll be working with a local shop to set it up if I do get one, so maybe we can get it pretty close.

1 minute ago, Splitear_Leland said:

Finding one with a 30" draw is the issue, it's almost impossible. Good to know that they run a little long, that makes me feel better. I'll be working with a local shop to set it up if I do get one, so maybe we can get it pretty close.

Are you 100% certain that you are a 30 inch draw ? Have you or a good shop checked you ? 

• Like 1

Just now, rob-c said:

Are you 100% certain that you are a 30 inch draw ? Have you or a good shop checked you ? 

Yes, though my current bow is set up at 29 1/2", I just have to bend my bow arm a little bit. It's an old High Country, and it is impossible to find modules to get that one up to 30", however, I have killed gobs of deer with that bow. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

Yes, though my current bow is set up at 29 1/2", I just have to bend my bow arm a little bit. It's an old High Country, and it is impossible to find modules to get that one up to 30", however, I have killed gobs of deer with that bow. 

Your bow arm shouldnt be out straight anyway but im sure you know that, youve got some critters under your belt with that HC

• Like 1

Just now, The_Real_TCIII said:

Your bow arm shouldnt be out straight anyway but im sure you know that, youve got some critters under your belt with that HC

Absolutely, but I have to bend a little more than I would like. Again, not a huge deal, but it definitely makes me need to practice a lot to get that bend right.

Lots of good advice given, another thing that one can do to tweak the bows draw is to remove the grip and shoot off the riser or install a thinner one. I know the switchback comes with the thick wood grip stock . Shrewd makes a grip that’s not as thick and you could gain some draw length .

• Like 1

Just now, rob-c said:

Lots of good advice given, another thing that one can do to tweak the bows draw is to remove the grip and shoot off the riser or install a thinner one. I know the switchback comes with the thick wood grip stock . Shrewd makes a grip that’s not as thick and you could gain some draw length .

Great suggestion.

4 minutes ago, rob-c said:

The Matthews grip has prevented me from owning one since I had a Q2 in 2004

• Like 1

Just now, The_Real_TCIII said:

The Matthews grip has prevented me from owning one since I had a Q2 in 2004

Agreed , I have big hands and that giant chunk of wood they put on there to me was horrendous. Way to much contact and possibility to torque the bow. I’ve always shot my Hoyt’s right off the riser for minimal hand contact. 

1 minute ago, rob-c said:

Agreed , I have big hands and that giant chunk of wood they put on there to me was horrendous. Way to much contact and possibility to torque the bow. I’ve always shot my Hoyt’s right off the riser for minimal hand contact. 

Same, Bowtechs off the riser and Elites with side plates

Now I have always heard by making the loop bigger you only change your anchor point .....don't actually gain inches in draw length? Draw length is set by the cam or module and that is a constant?

Anybody with a little more knowledge to this can chime in.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Just now, mlammerhirt said:

Now I have always heard by making the loop bigger you only change your anchor point .....don't actually gain inches in draw length? Draw length is set by the cam or module and that is a constant?

I think you're right, when you think about it, the arrow is not being drawn any further by adding a string loop, you're just changing the anchor. I guess my concern is just getting the best form I can with what I have.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Thats correct, the powerstroke is the powerstroke

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

You are 100% correct. Some guys are dead set on saying adding a longer/ shorter loop only changes your anchor point . And thats correct, but for the sake of argument most will just say it’s the persons draw length, while not proper most get it . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

100% true.  Bow is not drawn further by use of a longer D loop but your release is further back allowing one to reach their natural anchor as if the bow has a longer DL.    But the bow's DL is not 100% constant based on cam setting as the tune of the bow through string and cable length changes can alter the bow's actual DL to some extent.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

100% true.  Bow is not drawn further by use of a longer D loop but your release is further back allowing one to reach their natural anchor as if the bow has a longer DL.    But the bow's DL is not 100% constant based on cam setting as the tune of the bow through string and cable length changes can alter the bow's actual DL to some extent.

Really good advice ^^^ . 
Bow string / cable material has come a long ways and custom string builders  that pre- stretch their string sets , make tuning bows easier than ever and will stay In tune longer. But all sets must have some give / stretch to them to survive being shot Several hundreds of times. Over time the system will stretch and cause all cam systems to go out of time and can lead to added draw length etc . Now a single cam like the switchback won’t go out of time with the idler but will not be in the optimum cam rotation to give the bow the smoothest best possible arrow flight and can increase draw length. Basically in a nut shell all bows will need to be tuned many of times over the course of ownership for optimum performance . Myself personally i like to change strings and cables every 3-4 years, sooner if I have a ton of shots on them . 

11 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I also think you should be able to find some 30" or 29.5" mods. Archerytalk.com has a huge classified section i bought my bow through that site.

Unfortunately  the switchback is cam only no mods.  

• Like 1