New Lever Gun

Don_C

Following all of the excitement and travel of the holidays, I began to reflect on this past deer season.  I wondered why in the world, with all of the scrapes and rubs, trail cam pics and early season sightings, did I not connect with a mature buck during the regular season. After many seconds of pondering, I realized... Clearly I need a new gun!  I've been thinking about a new lever gun for a while, and I’m a dedicated Browning fan, so I decided on a BLR lightweight pistol grip in .308. It was not easy to find, but a special thanks to H&H in Lackawanna, Heather somehow tracked down one of the last 2019 .308s out there. I picked it up over the weekend and can’t wait to take it to the club on Saturday and break it in.

I’m already getting excited for next year!

IMG_6996.jpg

• Like 13

17 minutes ago, Don_C said:

Following all of the excitement and travel of the holidays, I began to reflect on this past deer season.  I wondered why in the world, with all of the scrapes and rubs, trail cam pics and early season sightings, did I not connect with a mature buck during the regular season. After many seconds of pondering, I realized... Clearly I need a new gun!  I've been thinking about a new lever gun for a while, and I’m a dedicated Browning fan, so I decided on a BLR lightweight pistol grip in .308. It was not easy to find, but a special thanks to H&H in Lackawanna, Heather somehow tracked down one of the last 2019 .308s out there. I picked it up over the weekend and can’t wait to take it to the club on Saturday and break it in.

I’m already getting excited for next year!

IMG_6996.jpg

Wait,  one needs a excuse to buy a new gun ? Nice lever gun ... 

• Like 2

It was a tough few seconds of deep thought for sure! Thankfully I have one terrific wife, she said “you have a real problem” when I told her, then she said “damn that’s nice!” When I opened the box!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the a decision.....and the mere seconds it took for you to decide.

What club Sat....Evans?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Yes Evans. Weather permitting, I just heard 4-8” of snow is coming???!! I was really getting used to this nice weather in WNY.

Are you a member?

Nice  rifle, Don....Congrats on your new baby...

Reminds me of a minty one (  .308  BLR straight grip) that I could have bought for $300 a few years ago....

WELLLL...It was QUITE a few years ago....Another opportunity squandered...<<sigh>>…..

• Like 1

Nice!  Iron sights or are you putting a scope on it?

I am sure I will put a scope on it before next November, but let’s face it, most of the fun with lever guns is shooting with open sights. We had a Henry 30-30 a while back that would pop clays at 100 yards all day long. Man was that a blast. I think with a .308 I’m going to want to be able to reach out a little further though and my eyes aren’t so great anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

nice gun. seems like my browning rifles are all good. levers can be heavy but handle nice.

At 6 lbs 8 oz, it feels pretty light in the hand and is less "clunky" than other levers I have had. We'll see though, I never thought I would find a rifle I enjoyed more than my X-Bolts,  but I think this is going to become my favorite if it prints well.

5 hours ago, Don_C said:

How do you like it? I really wanted the ‘06, but couldn’t find one.

8 hours ago, G-Man said:

I have one in 30-06. And seeing this reminds me I need to find a sling swivel kit for it....

i had the 06- and was really looking forward to the gun.  I did not like the trigger at all.  And only place i could find to put a lighter one in was in PA for $130 + shipping.  I actually sold it and bought a bolt action.  

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i had the 06- and was really looking forward to the gun.  I did not like the trigger at all.  And only place i could find to put a lighter one in was in PA for $130 + shipping.  I actually sold it and bought a bolt action.  

Fortunately I had a neighbor who was a gunsmith,amazing what a little polishing on parts can do ,and it is easy to do yourself. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Fortunately I had a neighbor who was a gunsmith,amazing what a little polishing on parts can do ,and it is easy to do yourself. 

really ?? wow - cause most places didnt want to touch it.  Said there were too many issues with trying to do those triggers and everyone pointed me to the guy in PA including lots of folks on here.  You sure lucked out with a good neighbor.  

6 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

really ?? wow - cause most places didnt want to touch it.  Said there were too many issues with trying to do those triggers and everyone pointed me to the guy in PA including lots of folks on here.  You sure lucked out with a good neighbor.  

Yes he was a good guy, ww2 sniper and actually shot the 1st deer in ny with muzzleloader,  made his own ..was pretty impressive.

• Like 1