Rensselaerville State Forest

DirtTime

Just looking for some intel from anyone who has been there. I want to try and get a camping trip in over there. I will get some boots on the ground time in, just curious of it's worth it or not. Cole hill just won't cut it, to many roads dissecting that area, and trails that run almost through home owners back yards. So, looking at a different place.

Are there open areas to make camp or is it real think all over the place?

I do know of it Rob. But haven't spent any time in there to speak of. Did a few deer hunts over that way years ago, but found Partridge Run much more to my liking.

It's a good sized area though. And I'm sure you could find a place to camp back in there. My In-laws are from Huntersland, not too far from there. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 7:33 PM, DirtTime said:

Just looking for some intel from anyone who has been there. I want to try and get a camping trip in over there. I will get some boots on the ground time in, just curious of it's worth it or not. Cole hill just won't cut it, to many roads dissecting that area, and trails that run almost through home owners back yards. So, looking at a different place.

Are there open areas to make camp or is it real think all over the place?

I drive through there on my way to the farm, where we hunt, adjacent to it.  So I know it pretty well :)

@DirtTime

I had to switch to my PC, had way too much to type on the phone :

Camping area:  I've seen people camp at any of the turn offs that follow the CCC road in.  I think there are markers at the entrances of the designated camping areas.  There should be about 3 of them I believe.  One is right at the end of the CCC road/Cheese hill.  Note that there's a gun range for the Park Rangers about 600 yards north of that spot.

There's another camp site, I believe, on the right hand side after the 4 corners where Scutt Road intersects CCC.

A group of guys always used to bring up a camper and park it in a camp spot, right on the end of the CCC road.  They don't come around anymore, I think they got too old, had their camper broken into too many times.

What are you planning on hunting?  I'll stop here, but if you want more info let me know.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

@DirtTime

I had to switch to my PC, had way too much to type on the phone :

Camping area:  I've seen people camp at any of the turn offs that follow the CCC road in.  I think there are markers at the entrances of the designated camping areas.  There should be about 3 of them I believe.  One is right at the end of the CCC road/Cheese hill.  Note that there's a gun range for the Park Rangers about 600 yards north of that spot.

There's another camp site, I believe, on the right hand side after the 4 corners where Scutt Road intersects CCC.

A group of guys always used to bring up a camper and park it in a camp spot, right on the end of the CCC road.  They don't come around anymore, I think they got too old, had their camper broken into too many times.

What are you planning on hunting?  I'll stop here, but if you want more info let me know.

Not hunting, at least nothing planned as of now. Just primitive camping trip early Summer. Hike back in, get off the trail and make camp. DEC site mentions the actual site near CCC Road and Cheese Hill Road, but, as I just mentioned, I'm looking more at off grid style camp.

Thank you for some intel, it's very much appreciated.

5 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Campfires permitted? 

Yes, as long as there's no fire ban in effect.