Anyone have experience planting milo?

Just curious about milo ( aka grain sorghum )as a later season draw.  Deer won't bother it while it is growing and raccoons won't get into it like corn.  Has anyone planted it?  I don't see why I can't broadcast it.  The taller variety can also provide some screening effect since it can get over 5 feet tall.  

I would be interested in hearing from anyone with firsthand experience with this.

I did back a few yrs ago in Bristol/Honeoye region. Nothing touched it, deer didnt even bother with it ever.

On the flip side grew that in another field out in Darien area and it got devastated after the hunting season was over. Guessing if it had gotten colder sooner and pods dried up they would have come to it sooner.

In my opinion beans are better options in late season if you are planting enough area.

• Like 1

I used to plant some at a property I had in steuben county. The only ag around there besides my foodplots was hay field's so the deer were hungry. It would get eaten by the deer there. The turkeys absolutely loved it. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

We have 2, 100 acre fields that we use for our preserve bird hunts. The deer pound them all season long and love to bed in there also. As far as planting goes my farmer gets to it when he gets to it as long as it’s ready by September 1st for us 

• Like 1