Crazy....

G-Man

O Hell NO! ! !  I don't go back onto the water until thaw out!  And DAM that water is still cold!  No way I would be out on any water right now!  But I also live on Long Island where we have not gotten much of a winter so far!  As is typical for the area.  One year it was so cold even the salt water was frozen!  Guys out on sail boats with ice skates on them!  lol crazy!  I only go on ice if a truck will hold it and I am NOT in it!

I haven't ice fished in a few years, but three inches of good clear ice will support a person with no problem. It's a blast to pull in a pike hand over hand and watch him come in under clear ice!

Of course, know your waters and know where there might be springs.

Edited by Steuben Jerry

I'm not an avid ice fisherman. They are nuts..

The diehards have been fishing on the ice since Thanksgiving around here.

Drove by a spot last weekend on the St Lawrence and there were at least 20- 30 guys out there fishing . 1/2 on the ice the other 1/2 less than a 100yds out in boats.  Yikes!

• 2 weeks later...

Early Spring in the bay then late spring in the ocean for me!! No ice in the salt this year. Very few seals too. Its always cool to see the seals floating with the tide, sunning themselves atop an iceberg. I did see some frozen puddles a few times in front of my house. lol Sorry for those that don't...I'm loving the weather this winter!

One bummer about little to no snow down by the bay...more ticks/mosquitoes in the spring/summer. 

6 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Early Spring in the bay then late spring in the ocean for me!! No ice in the salt this year. Very few seals too. Its always cool to see the seals floating with the tide, sunning themselves atop an iceberg. I did see some frozen puddles a few times in front of my house. lol Sorry for those that don't...I'm loving the weather this winter!

One bummer about little to no snow down by the bay...more ticks/mosquitoes in the spring/summer. 

Had a seal swimming in and out of my decoys Saturday up in Reynolds channel 

36 minutes ago, bruno1 said:

Had a seal swimming in and out of my decoys Saturday up in Reynolds channel 

Did you ever see the killer whales almost beaching themselves on one of them shows to get the baby seals? Had a seal do something very similar to me when I was gathering my decoys once. I must have looked like a cross between Jesse Owens and Jesus Christ as I ran along the surface of the water!! 

Edited by squirrelwhisperer
  • Haha 1