Frozen Venison

fasteddie

How long of a time is it safe to eat frozen venison ? I have eaten burger that was almost 3 years old . At what point is it unsafe to eat ? 
This is a good question. And I look forward to hearing the answers as I've got some more "aged" venison I still need to eat

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

As long as it hasn't  gone through a thaw and refrozen for a long period of time  it should be as good as the day you froze it . If it has thawed and refrozen you could get some burn which will affect  taste. Obviously  if it has thawed to above 40 degrees  for a period of time you risk bacterial  growth . I recall  food saver says properly handled and sealed meat up to 3 years.

Edited by Nytracker

The farmer's almanac recommends 8 to 12 months for uncooked wild game. This would probably be the best recommendation for the best tasting meat. But it would also depend on how the meat was wrapped. If it was vacuum sealed it would definitely go longer as opposed to being wrapped in freezer paper. I have used venison that was over a year old that had been vacuum wrapped and it was very good.                     valoroutdoors.com.                                      https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.almanac.com/content/freezer-storage-times-how-long-can-you-freeze-foods%3famp

I've found vac sealed venison that was 4 yrs old. 

I started to cook it up for the dogs, but I looked and smelled great so I ate it. I did give the muts a little. 

It tasted good, but I could definitely tell it wasn't a yr or less old.  

• Like 2

I believe as long as it stays frozen the meat is "safe" to eat, taste is another matter and it is said it tends to lessen with age. I remember reading somewhere about some animal discovered in Siberia that was frozen from the Ice Age days, some of the meat from that animal was cooked and eaten with no ill effects and some of that gang raved on how good it was.:umnik:

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I find that when I grind my venison and add pork fat (then freeze in freezer paper) that meat seems to pick up off flavors quicker then straight venison (also frozen in freezer paper).

I never have meat lasting more than a year so not much to add to this OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

many say a good vac sealed piece of wild game is edible up to 2 years. I've never had the pleasure of my meat making it past a year even with 3 in the freezer. Typically I will make anything leftover into sausage in the summer and I know my dad does the same. Takes leftover uneaten freezer to costanzas in the early fall. And no, there's no truth to any issues with freeze, refreeze. 

I have some of that too, but that's for my private jerky cellar. It's strictly private stock that I don't share with anyone because I want it all for myself

I can only imagine the square footage of that cellar.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I find that when I grind my venison and add pork fat (then freeze in freezer paper) that meat seems to pick up off flavors quicker then straight venison (also frozen in freezer paper).

pork fat doesn't hold up to age in the freezer as good as beef fat does

• Like 2

So I think crappy hit it on the head here. Stright venison will last forever. Well it will be safe forever. It may start to taste bad ur burnt after a while, depending on how ur was packaged.

Pork fat can and will go rancid even In the freezer. I would say 12 months max for meat mixed with pork fat

• Like 2

Better question is WHY and HOW is it lasting that long? If you don’t like it, give it away to friends or donate it. If you do like, eat it damnit!!!

I got 5 this year (3 small, 1 decent doe and a good buck). Probably about 150 pounds of meat....3 pounds a week for a family of 5(4 who eat actual food).

• Like 1

Better question is WHY and HOW is it lasting that long? If you don’t like it, give it away to friends or donate it. If you do like, eat it damnit!!!

I got 5 this year (3 small, 1 decent doe and a good buck). Probably about 150 pounds of meat....3 pounds a week for a family of 5(4 who eat actual food).

You've got a kid that doesn't eat real food?

36 minutes ago, crappyice said:

For the last 4 years, Ive been living with the pickiest eaters youd ever run into. Seriously, those people turn their noses up at everything. You ever see a kid that doesnt like pizza? I lived with 2. If I cooked venison, noone but me and my kids would eat it, so I just stopped cooking it very much. Now that its just me and my kids, we are back to eating it all the time. Weve had it 5 times in 2 weeks already lol.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1