What are you reading?

Deleted Account

On 2/11/2022 at 8:41 PM, Otto said:

I use the Libby app.  It’s for your Public Library and has tons of audiobooks, as well as magazines and regular books.  FREE.

TIP: Sign up for your local library and for the New York Public Library (in NYC). NYPL has a lot more copies of the same item to loan out, so you can always get something pretty quickly.  And you can place holds on things too.  

Great app, my daughter told me about it. 

Libby is awesome. I use it all the time for ebooks and audiobooks. I use my NYPL card as it has a much better selection than my local. I also have a Kobo ereader which I can use to borrow books directly from them. 
I also use “Chirp” to find deals on audiobooks and Book Bub for ebook deals. 

Edited by Splitear

I’m about 40% into this one. Fantasy is a nice break from the horror trend I was on for a while. I wouldn’t call this high fantasy, more of a historical fantasy, with the ties to Norse mythology. I’m kind of feeling like it’s a group of Norse that got stuck in North America from the way that it’s reading, but I could be trying to read too much into it. Regardless, it’s pretty fun. “You Die When You Die” by Angus Watson. 

65AE4B56-4CD0-4A88-8EE4-335F35852B31.webp

• Like 2

Just started this one the other night. I’m a big fan of Brom, he writes some weird stuff , but it’s alway pretty relatable in terms of the story. My favorite of his is Lost Gods. 

Anyways, this one is a dark modern telling of Peter Pan. So far so good as usual with his stuff. 

Once I’m done with this I’m going to go to boom 2 of the series I started last month with “You Die When You Die”. It was pretty good. 

FD0FE37D-1A9C-4626-A419-70C52BA2A4E8.webp

Edited by Splitear

• 1 month later...
Just picked this up - 
image.png.b7c5443f77d1243da3b72d7eb8ab2d6f.png
As near as I can tell the contention is "make things a little more difficult for yourself, don't die," as told within the framework of a caribou hunt with Donnie Vincent.

And appropriate for tomorrow considering the author’s name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I’m about halfway through this one, a quick read that I’ve been taking my time with while also reading “The Old Man” by Thomas Perry.

I started reading Papa about 10 years ago and consumed a ton of his work over the course of a couple of years.  This book is a great mix of firearm history, literary and early 20th century American history, and of course Hemingway’s ability to “tell a story truer than it actually happened.”

One thing that I’m most shocked by is how many of Hemingway’s guns are unaccounted for. His famous Model 12 Winchester was bought in NYC in ‘63 as a “used gun”. The guy had it refinished, not knowing it was Hemingway’s shotgun, and then traded it for a SxS in 1980 in Jeffersonville, NY. No one knows what happened to it after that. If you have a model 12 SN, 525488, let me know and I’ll pay you book value for it :)

I highly recommend this one who is interested in Hemingway and his sporting endeavors. 

40D2469F-CA40-4E60-BBF2-836E2FF91754.jpeg

Just picked this up - 
image.png.b7c5443f77d1243da3b72d7eb8ab2d6f.png
As near as I can tell the contention is "make things a little more difficult for yourself, don't die," as told within the framework of a caribou hunt with Donnie Vincent.

Some good things to consider after taking the easy way out and listening to this book (often on a treadmill in a climate controlled mega-gym....serious irony!).

I need to start Rucking! (Amazing how close the f key is to the r key)
And decide upon a missoge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Misogi? We all need a misogi. And rucking.

When I worked out in a gym, I would warm up by putting all the dumbbells - from 5 to 100 lbs - back in their proper place. I think I got stronger just from picking up heavy things and moving them from here to there.

In the middle of this. It's dense and taking me a while to get through but well worth it.

image.png.5c952c6b02cbb429d75534c30353ec79.png

No really, I enjoy economics . Found it cleaning out #2s room , she’s a CPA the other books were to boring . This one’s a real page turner .

92D5EB2F-0387-4E93-9D54-05245829E8A1.jpeg

Edited by Nomad

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I belonged to the Outdoor Life Book Cub way back when, I have a couple of books by Clyde Ormond, he was mildly famous for the Ormond swing, a homemade device made to rest a firearm. I learned a lot about hunting from all those club books, (which I Still  Have).

Al

2 hours ago, airedale said:

I belonged to the Outdoor Life Book Cub way back when, I have a couple of books by Clyde Ormond, he was mildly famous for the Ormond swing, a homemade device made to rest a firearm. I learned a lot about hunting from all those club books, (which I Still  Have).

Al

I like his writing style, very blunt and to the point, and not the least bit “politically correct”.   Way different and better than most of the stuff in print these days.