What are you reading?

Deleted Account

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

His books, like his life, are fraught with alcoholism, depression and sadness. But man he could tell a story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got to visit his childhood home in Oak Park, IL near Chicago. Very interesting. What a life, and the main thing that I remember learning is that guy could weave a lie. They talked about the evolution of his story about being wounded WWI. It essentially changed from him delivering candy bars to the front line and being hit, to him charging the trenches and being taken down by machine gun fire while carrying out wounded soldiers :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pygmy said:

As I understand it, he sat in the bathtub, put the barrels of his favorite bird gun in his mouth, and pulled both triggers....

YUP...Coulda been a little messy....

I cleaned up numerous 'cides over the years and yes they can be messy.  One that sticks in my mind is a lady that rented a room at the local Red Roof Inn 25 years ago.  She got into the bathtub with no water in it so she did make a mess when she slit her wrist.  The poor thing; she drooped her arm over the side of the tub and bled all over the floor, not in the tub.  That one was pretty messy but far from the worst................sad deals.

• Sad 2

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 4:10 PM, Daveboone said:

Obrien is the absolute best. Each book holds up on its own, but I am rereading them....starting with the first, which helps understand alot of the back story. Lambert is great also, just written in a more modern style. The first few books kind of put me off with his...amorous adventures, but he matures and so does the story. 

I forget the authors name, but the Richard Sharpes adventures are great too..he is a foot soldier under Wellington, starting in India and following Wellingtons career through to Waterloo.much lighter reading, but he is a great character, As he advances in rank in the books, it helps to read them in order. 

I picked up book 6 of W.E.B. Griffin's The Corps series at a garage sale and ended up getting the rest.  Only problem is I've read them enough that they're full of penciled edits for continuity issues I've run into.  Nerd. 

Try Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors by James Hornfischer.  I've read that 7-8 times and liked it so much I bought Neptune's Inferno by the same author.  That's a good one too but I feel the Tin Can sailors is much more stirring.

I'm into Terry Brooks for the fantasy type books.  Found The Sword of Shannara on the side of the road when I was 15 and it was missing the last 30 pages.  I had to pick up a new copy to finish it and have been hooked since.

• Like 1

"Last Stand" is awe inspiring.....I bought a few used copies to give to friends...it is a must read. to loosely quote from the book:

"This battle will be studied by our enemies and taught in our schools, so all know how Americans fight when their backs are to the wall in a hopeless situation".....poorly quoted, but I think I get the gist of it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently about half way through " Guadalcanal" by Richard B. Frank ( 800 pages)….

Excellent documentary, and a very readable style, for a book  includes myriads of details concerning both Allied and Japanese  perspectives of the operation...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Sometimes young people glance up at me  from their smart phones when I walk into a waiting room with my book...

I just tell them,  " It's a BOOK...A few of us old timers still use 'em  "....

HAHA! I will admit that I switched to using a Kobo eReader about a year ago. I tried reading on a tablet, but the lighting was terrible for reading. I like my eReader because it seriously looks like you are reading a paper page, I have access to all of my books anywhere that I go, and I can still borrow from my library and buy from my local bookstore. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

HAHA! I will admit that I switched to using a Kobo eReader about a year ago. I tried reading on a tablet, but the lighting was terrible for reading. I like my eReader because it seriously looks like you are reading a paper page, I have access to all of my books anywhere that I go, and I can still borrow from my library and buy from my local bookstore. 

That would convenient..The book I'm reading right now weighs about ten pounds.... Call me a relic....Actually I am considering changing my screen name to RELIC...Hehehe....

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 9:40 AM, Splitear_Leland said:

I started a new series last night (The Powder Mage Trilogy). Book one is "Promise of Blood", it seems interesting, but I'm not too far into it yet. It's a new sub-genre for me, "Flintlock Fantasy". 

51-GsXzAkvL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Finished this guy last night. Not bad, but not awesome. I'm not sure I'll finish the trilogy, I just didn't ever care enough about the characters. Not a bad read, and it had a cool connection with firearms and sorcery, something different that the "swords and spells" of regular fantasy stuff. 

I'm starting to re-read American Gods by Neil Gaiman, one of my favorite novels by one of my favorite authors. 

51Pb-OAREFL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2020 at 9:22 AM, Splitear_Leland said:

My kindle paper white is awesome, i can see it perfectly in any light

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 11:18 AM, Splitear_Leland said:

Finished this guy last night. Not bad, but not awesome. I'm not sure I'll finish the trilogy, I just didn't ever care enough about the characters. Not a bad read, and it had a cool connection with firearms and sorcery, something different that the "swords and spells" of regular fantasy stuff. 

I'm starting to re-read American Gods by Neil Gaiman, one of my favorite novels by one of my favorite authors. 

51Pb-OAREFL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

American Gods, YES!!!!!! 

I got into reading the James Patterson "Alex Cross Series" I probably read 12-13 out of the 27 or so books in the series. I really have to get back into it. I like the style of writing as it kept you interested in it. 

I did just finish "The Operator Firing The Shots That Killed Osama Bin Laden" written by Robert O'Neill who clams to have fired the kill shots. It's never been confirmed that it was him. The book was a good read as it took you through his life in the Navy and the SEAL's. According to the way the book read and finished being the guy that killed Osama really changed his life and not necessary in a good way. 

On 1/16/2020 at 8:25 AM, covert said:

I'm into Terry Brooks for the fantasy type books.  Found The Sword of Shannara on the side of the road when I was 15 and it was missing the last 30 pages.  I had to pick up a new copy to finish it and have been hooked since.

Terry Brooks was my 1st fantasy book author. Since then I've read a # of different authors works. Even went back and read the Tolkien series that somehow I had missed.just finished this group up over christmas vacation...I dont read like I did in the past.(maybe  1/2 dozen a year now)

In the past I read a little bit of everything. I mean I read everything .lol.. everything Michener,Herbert, Koontz, L'Amour, Brooks,Goodkind,Cussler,Weis and Hickman, Clancy,Jordan,Azimov....I'm sure I forgot some but dang I see why I stayed away from drugs . Once I start one I have to read them all..

20200223_191705.jpg

• Like 2

I'm actually listening to the "American Gods" audiobook by Neil Gaiman . I read it the first time, and wanted to check out the narrated version. So far I'm enjoying the George Guidall narration.

Kobo had a sale on some good historical fiction, so I started "The Wolf of Wessex"  by Matthew Harffy, last night. I'm about 20% in, and am really enjoying it.

41Bk+iT74lL.jpg