What are you reading?

Deleted Account

On 2/23/2020 at 8:43 PM, ncountry said:

Terry Brooks was my 1st fantasy book author. Since then I've read a # of different authors works. Even went back and read the Tolkien series that somehow I had missed.just finished this group up over christmas vacation...I dont read like I did in the past.(maybe  1/2 dozen a year now)

In the past I read a little bit of everything. I mean I read everything .lol.. everything Michener,Herbert, Koontz, L'Amour, Brooks,Goodkind,Cussler,Weis and Hickman, Clancy,Jordan,Azimov....I'm sure I forgot some but dang I see why I stayed away from drugs . Once I start one I have to read them all..

20200223_191705.jpg

Nevermind, I read Terry Brooks as Terry Pratchett. My reply was irrelevant :)

Edited by Splitear_Leland
  • Like 1

Just finished this:

image.png.c50af4653fa6590cda08a59ae3910979.png

Meticulously researched and an a fascinating look at the early days of hunting. Takes a few side tracks especially in the old west/Buffalo Bill days, and presents both the for and against positions evenly. Pulled some good early quotes from it.

Starting this:

image.png.a88d63d58386ae6dcbe92ffeff1cc447.png

Big fan of Crouch's alternative worlds, though don't love the way his books tend to finish so open ended. (Wayward series and Dark Matter for example.)

Edited by left field
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Hopefully he will be back.. Joyner did have a back + Forth last year around this time with a member here who, I will not name.

I can't remember who, but I know it wasn't me... I could give about  three good guesses, though..Hehehe….

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

No-- not you Dan.  I actually have been raked over the coals much worse and am still around. Thick Skin, I guess from Decades in Warehouses and unloading Docks .  Been called everything in the book-- lol!  One kid used to call me - Easter Egg Head every morning.  Glad it was just him- lol!

Now that is a nick-name :)

9 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I'm reading " Sally's Strange vacation" again..

I'm at the part where Sally spread the peanut butter on the bisquit and then called Spot out behind the playhouse...

Poor spot, I know I hate getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of my mouth .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Going through some of my Civil War Books + Magazines. Decided to reread this one today.                                                   Man on the cover is Nathan Bedford Forrest. Wounded 4 Times,at least 29 Horses killed Beneath him. And Killed 30 Men with his Sword. Somehow survived the Civil War.

20200307_105958.jpg

He was also the dirtiest scoundrel of the war.  There is nothing honorable about killing unarmed black solders who were trying to surrender with a sword.  He should have been hanged for war crimes and probably would have been, had Lincoln not been killed.   After the war, Forrest became the first grand wizard of the KKK.  If I knew where his grave was, I would piss on it.     

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 8:31 PM, crappyice said:

I decided to give audiobooks a shot....no better than Anna Karenina..32+ hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm listening to my third audiobook right now and actually find them more enjoyable than podcasts for the ride to and from work. It's a good way to cover the 40 min. drive each way. It did feel a little weird listening to the audiobook at home versus reading a real book but I don't have that opportunity very often. 

• Like 2

Just now, Moho81 said:

I'm listening to my third audiobook right now and actually find them more enjoyable than podcasts for the ride to and from work. It's a good way to cover the 40 min. drive each way. It did feel a little weird listening to the audiobook at home versus reading a real book but I don't have that opportunity very often. 

40 minutes! Are you on a recumbent bike?!

Just now, Moho81 said:

It's funny, there are some books that I can't get through in book form, but love the audiobook. There is a fantasy series that I enjoy, The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, I loved the first couple of audiobooks read by James Marsters. I tried to read the 3rd book and couldn't get through it. A couple of months later I downloaded the audiobook version and loved it. 

On the other side of the coin, I tried the audiobooks of Game of Thrones, and couldn't get into them. I picked up the books and couldn't put them down. Probably a lot of it comes down to the readers and content. Some things just translate better through written word vs. spoken.

• Like 1

It's funny, there are some books that I can't get through in book form, but love the audiobook. There is a fantasy series that I enjoy, The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, I loved the first couple of audiobooks read by James Marsters. I tried to read the 3rd book and couldn't get through it. A couple of months later I downloaded the audiobook version and loved it. 
On the other side of the coin, I tried the audiobooks of Game of Thrones, and couldn't get into them. I picked up the books and couldn't put them down. Probably a lot of it comes down to the readers and content. Some things just translate better through written word vs. spoken.

I think the reader has a lot to do with it. Right now the one I’m listening to the reader is doing a Texas southern twang because the main character is a Texan and it’s taking away from the content. I wish he would have just read it in his normal voice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk