What are you reading?

Deleted Account

I think the reader has a lot to do with it. Right now the one I’m listening to the reader is doing a Texas southern twang because the main character is a Texan and it’s taking away from the content. I wish he would have just read it in his normal voice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m listening to the game of thrones books read by Gilbert Gottfried

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

I think the reader has a lot to do with it. Right now the one I’m listening to the reader is doing a Texas southern twang because the main character is a Texan and it’s taking away from the content. I wish he would have just read it in his normal voice.

I listened to the Willie Nelson autobiography "It's a Long Story" (highly recommended if you are a fan). Willie doesn't read the story, but Christopher Ryan Grant is the reader, and has a slow Texas drawl that really matches the tone of the book. 

@Splitear_Leland

Yeah McClellan takes some time to grow in you, first book wasn't my favorite.

I also recommend the Codex Alera by Jim Butcher, if you're enjoying Dresden.  I've reread the Dresden files at least 3 times now.

You seem to be going through some of the stuff I listed!  Check out Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.  Just excellent.  Probably the single best book on the list, though the rest of the series isn't as good.

Anthony Ryan - Blood Song also great start to a good trilogy.  I've heard some peoples complaints about the ending, but I thought he wrapped it up nicely.

• Thanks 1

I'm listening to my third audiobook right now and actually find them more enjoyable than podcasts for the ride to and from work. It's a good way to cover the 40 min. drive each way. It did feel a little weird listening to the audiobook at home versus reading a real book but I don't have that opportunity very often. 

I'm listening to my third audiobook right now and actually find them more enjoyable than podcasts for the ride to and from work. It's a good way to cover the 40 min. drive each way. It did feel a little weird listening to the audiobook at home versus reading a real book but I don't have that opportunity very often. 

Still going......5+ hours left!

0abcc2511f060033a92ea3335ac60ebc.jpg

After this I may get back into “Days of our Lives.” With the exception of a few snipe hunts in the marshes(which are quite comical when he describes the dog’s reaction after misses!), this is pretty much a soap opera!!! What the F am I doing(except really enjoying the language and writing)

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

@Splitear_Leland

Yeah McClellan takes some time to grow in you, first book wasn't my favorite.

I also recommend the Codex Alera by Jim Butcher, if you're enjoying Dresden.  I've reread the Dresden files at least 3 times now.

You seem to be going through some of the stuff I listed!  Check out Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.  Just excellent.  Probably the single best book on the list, though the rest of the series isn't as good.

Anthony Ryan - Blood Song also great start to a good trilogy.  I've heard some peoples complaints about the ending, but I thought he wrapped it up nicely.

You're about the 5th person to suggest the Codex Alera to me, so it's about time I buckle down on it. It looks like quite the commitment. I'll also check out Lies of Locke Lamora. I know I've glanced at it before, but didn't give it much thought.

I'm on a big historical fiction kick right now, but I'm sure I'll be in the mood for some fantasy stuff soon. I'm just about through listening to American Gods, so maybe one of those will be my next audiobook.

Thanks for the suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...

Latter Day Saints preparedness manual, I am not a Mormon but I know good common sense information when I see it, a lot of great tips especially in times such as these.

Al

=====================================================

The LDS Preparedness manual contains over 130 IN-DEPTH articles on food storage and general Preparedness.  EXAMPLES OK, But what do I prepare for? Surviving in the City Money Defense Clothing Emergency Heating & Cooking Emergency Light Emergency Shelter Space Cramp, Where do I Put it all?? Emergency Sanitation Emergency Toilets & Garbage Disposal Emergency Generators Do you Really have a Year's Supply?? Basic Food List Monthly Food Storage Purchasing Calendar Common Storage Foods Grains & Flours

2020-03-20_114944.png.b4391521b2fe17f0cc30322ddc9c549f.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
I can't remember who, but I know it wasn't me... I could give about  three good guesses, though..Hehehe….

Pygmy you need to read this Book. I don’t know what else to say except I’ve never been so sure of anything in my life that you will love it

d03a7caffc9acc35d3169ed8709fca07.plist

59 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

How is "Wild at Heart"? It's on my "To Read' list...

It just arrived today, the other came yesterday , sil sent the other one to me postage due ... 

I got Wild at Heart because of this Instagram post .

DBE1C96F-A729-4F1F-821B-C675FFC562F3.png

The General and The President (about MacArthur and Truman).  Pretty interesting so far including these tidbits:   1)   Winston Churchill claimed the bravest thing he every saw anyone do in war was MacArthur's landing at Tokyo airport accompanied by only his pilot and a small group of unarmed staff.  This happened prior to the "official" surrender on the Missouri.   2) Only two father/sons won the Congressional Medal of Honor: Arthur and Douglas MacArthur , and the two Theodore Roosevelts.     

Edited by wolc123

• 2 weeks later...

Taking a break from "The Stand" to read "The Man Who Never Was", which is the upcoming John Milton novel from Mark Dawson. I'm on the advance reader team for Mark Dawson, who I have been following since reading his first Milton novel "The Cleaner". If anyone is a fan of the James Bond novels or similar action/adventure/espionage, I'd highly recommend you check out the Milton series.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/124296-john-milton

41RQrWmPMTL.jpg

• 5 months later...