What are you reading?

Deleted Account

27 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

This just came in the mail, how the H am I supposed to sleep at 9pm tomorrow night with this on my frigging shelf?  By only getting 4 hours of sleep tonight most likely.

image.png

Heck yeah, another Dresden fan! This is coming up soon for me!

Seeing that I have severe ADD/ADHD I tend to read many things at once. I am reading The Book of the Wild Turkey by Lovett Williams, Tenth Legion by Tom Kelly, a few old copies of Turkey & Turkey Hunting magazine, this forum, my Bible though I should be reading much more of that, another forum dedicated to turkey hunting, a book I do not recall the name of that is on the history of turkey calls and makers.

I also like to read stuff about the American Revolution and Knights

Edited by Sir-diealot
  • Like 1

Just last night, I opened this Book again for the 3rd Time. 
   THE AMERICAN WILD TURKEY is one of those Rare Books that is hard to put down. Go to Jim Casada's Turkey Book Website to get yours.  Written in 1949- Jim Casada wrote that this Book is the most important book on the subject of Turkey Hunting.
    Even the " reprints" are 100 Bucks like mine.      The Soul of the Sport of Turkey Hunting is about Fall + Winter Turkey Hunting. You read this book-- you will find this out. -- Spring Turkey Hunting was added on as it should have been much earlier.
   Henry Edwards Davis never Hunted Wild Turkeys in the Spring. Yet he took  Many Hundreds of Wild Turkeys in the Fall + Winter where Calling is much Tougher then the Spring. He was Truly one of the Top icons of our Sport.
    I am trying to glean some extra Knowledge from this 328 Page Book.

Why didn't he hunt in the spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Most of the Traditional Turkey Hunting in the Roughly 13 States that had a Turkey Population was held in Fall + Winter.

Spring Turkey Hunting came about after the massive Restoration of Turkey Populations to include 49 States using Cannon Nets to Trap+ Transfer Pure Wild Turkeys in State + State to State.

US POPULATION of Wild Turkeys reached a all time Low of approximately 33 Thousand Turkeys Nationwide around the year 1933.

Again-- Spring Turkey Hunting  was added on after the Traditional Fall + Winter Turkey Season.

Very interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 3:19 PM, blackbeltbill said:

Most of the Traditional Turkey Hunting in the Roughly 13 States that had a Turkey Population was held in Fall + Winter.

Spring Turkey Hunting came about after the massive Restoration of Turkey Populations to include 49 States using Cannon Nets to Trap+ Transfer Pure Wild Turkeys in State + State to State.

US POPULATION of Wild Turkeys reached a all time Low of approximately 33 Thousand Turkeys Nationwide around the year 1933.

Again-- Spring Turkey Hunting  was added on after the Traditional Fall + Winter Turkey Season.

There are some turkey hunters that will not hunt in the Spring, they say it is to easy and no challenge to get a turkey in the Spring. I disagree.

On a side note I picked this up on ebay the other day, supposed to be in Tuesday. The Wild Turkey Biology & Management by James G Dickson.

This will be my next purchase I think.

Wild Turkey Harvest Management : Biology, Strategies, and Techniques, Paperback by . Fish and Wildlife Service (COR); Healy, William M.; Powell, Shawn M., ISBN 1484970233, ISBN-13 9781484970232, Like New Used, Free shipping

The book’s objective was to synthesize what is known about the effects of hunting on wild turkey populations, and provide models for regulating harvest that provide ample hunting opportunity with minimal risk of overharvest. The book also reviews the biology of the species and the 3 basic strategies for harvesting wild turkeys.

The Wild Turkey Biology & Management.jpg

Book2.0.jpg

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. Outside of “The Wake” (written in Shadow Tongue) which I highly recommend for historical fiction fans, this is my first truly experimental novel.  I’m about 50 pages in, and it’s strange. Looking forward in the book, it will get a whole lot more strange. I always wondered why I couldn’t get this book on my ereader, but now I realize that it probably couldn’t deal with the strange format. 

265CFBFA-53F0-44AE-9F1C-C77F2B571768.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Makes excellent toilet paper. Though for some reason all the pages already seem to be full of shit

Channeling your inner Maureen Corrigan, I see. Keep at it, perseverance is key. 

A Promised Land arrived today.  If it’s anything like his previous books, I’m in for a treat!

Edited by Versatile_Hunter