What are you reading?

Deleted Account

Recently finished reading Horace Kephart's Camping and Woodcraft, and I'm just about 1/4 of the way into Mors Kohcanski's Bushcraft:Outdoors Skills and Wilderness Survival.

I was very surprised that the Kephart book revolved around hunting a lot. Tracking, skinning, processing, and even cooking wild game. I'll be buying the second volume soon.

I also want to pick up a couple books by Nessmuk. His canoeing the Adirondacks book and his camping and woodcraft book.

On 11/19/2020 at 7:09 AM, DirtTime said:

Recently finished reading Horace Kephart's Camping and Woodcraft, and I'm just about 1/4 of the way into Mors Kohcanski's Bushcraft:Outdoors Skills and Wilderness Survival.

I was very surprised that the Kephart book revolved around hunting a lot. Tracking, skinning, processing, and even cooking wild game. I'll be buying the second volume soon.

I also want to pick up a couple books by Nessmuk. His canoeing the Adirondacks book and his camping and woodcraft book.

You might also enjoy “Camp and Trail” by Stewart Edward White. 

• 2 weeks later...

Picked this one up used on Amazon and it arrived today, O'Connor is my favorite outdoor writer, I think I have just about everything he wrote book wise. This one has some of his old magazine articles which I have read many of but not all especially his early ones.

Al

51i7BMWxd-L._SCLZZZZZZZ__SY500_SX500_.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/18/2020 at 5:35 PM, coonhunter said:

Dark Passage by Richard S Wheeler. It is a book in the Barnaby Skye series set in the days of the beaver trapping times in the beginning of the settling of this country

It's not bad and I will probably read a couple more.

Im enjoying the one I got and will definitely read more of them, thanks for the suggestion

• 1 month later...

I’m about half way through this book, and I’ll say it has hit me pretty hard. Anyone that grew up in a small town will appreciate  this piece of fiction. Honestly, it’s kind of messed with my dreams a little bit in the past few days, bringing back memories of my home town and lost loved ones. I highly recommend it. 
Surprisingly, I had never heard of the author before. When I saw him compared to Stephen King and the book compared to “IT”, I thought I’d give it a chance. I’m really glad I did. 

5F58E2C6-E3AF-4DD5-86B6-091DE49E3D06.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m about half way through this book, and I’ll say it has hit me pretty hard. Anyone that grew up in a small town will appreciate  this piece of fiction. Honestly, it’s kind of messed with my dreams a little bit in the past few days, bringing back memories of my home town and lost loved ones. I highly recommend it. 
Surprisingly, I had never heard of the author before. When I saw him compared to Stephen King and the book compared to “IT”, I thought I’d give it a chance. I’m really glad I did. 
5F58E2C6-E3AF-4DD5-86B6-091DE49E3D06.jpeg.29a2ee619ed74fecef1eb4a589b95c01.jpeg

I read It when I was 15 or so. Upon re-read I've decided SK is a pedophile...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

20 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I read It when I was 15 or so. Upon re-read I've decided SK is a pedophile...

I really enjoyed “IT” up until that part. I actually skipped over it after I realized what was going on. 

On 1/10/2021 at 5:52 PM, Splitear said:

5F58E2C6-E3AF-4DD5-86B6-091DE49E3D06.jpeg

I just wanted to follow-up on this book after finishing it. Though I’m sure my critique will mellow out after a few days, I would say this is one of the best books I have ever read.  Beyond the nostalgia of being a “boy”, it really made me think about my expectations of what it means to be a “man”. The plot is great, but the sentiment of the magic of being a boy, while realizing the reality of the world is spot on. If you have not read this book, I cannot recommend it enough. 

I stumbled on this book last week and ordered it. It’s a historical fiction murder-mystery, that takes place in my hometown, Bone Gap, IL. I’m not much of a mystery reader, but I can’t pass it up. Taking place in the 1800’s, is pretty neat to picture what “home” looked like. I messaged back and forth with the author before receiving the book, and he said that his sister and brother-in-law live in the country outside of town. I don’t know them personally, but I know who they are and where they live. He said he did a lot of research on the area and the families who lived there at the time. So far, it’s pretty good. 

76FF5F8C-50EC-4834-84E7-A4C59D61D82D.jpeg

• 1 month later...
Just now, Northcountryman said:

Thats cool; whats it about?

Takes place in France in the late 14th century, during the plague. I’m not too deep into it, but it’s building to be the story of a displaced Knight and a little girl who communicates with angels. Basically, demons are roaming the earth during the plague, and I’m sure there will be one epic battle of good and evil with humanity trapped in the middle. 

• Like 1

I'm reading this currently:

Alot of the secret messages transmitted between the Soviets and spies in America have since been decoded and the communiques called "The Venona Papers".  It took them years to do this cuz it was a very good code , but they finally completed it in the 90's; this book discusses its contents.  Turns out, Mccarthy was right-- back in the day-- about the level and scope of Communist spy infiltration into the US Government between the 1930's-1950's.  In fact, a BUNCH  of these bags of shit held high-level posts in FDR's AND the Truman administration!!  This is why I have such a low opinion of FDR. I think he CLEARLY was a fellow traveler back in the day--he and his pinko wife-- and was absolutely in love with the concept of the Soviet Union!!  Piece of garbage!!

The Venona Secrets By Eric Breindel

On 1/15/2021 at 9:52 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

This book has been mentioned but if you haven't read it it's a cool look at just how wild Pennsylvania was (partly still is). I drive this area lot for work

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty_Years_a_Hunter_and_Trapper

I read this a few years back. FAscinating read...especially interesting was noting where he specifically went to elk hunt back in the day. Like most books of this era, they refer very little to the arms they use, but you gather that what the author had and used was overall very utilitarian and basic ...usually a shotgun loaded with whatever they could find, which was blasted at whatever they came across. Woodsmanship at its most basic!

• Like 1

I love historic fiction, and recently have been spending alot of time reading Chris Durbins series o Carlisle and Holbrook...two officers in the British Navy during the time period of the French and Indian war (between France and Britain over possession of Canada, mostly). the most recent three books specifically, including the current book I am reading  "The Niagara Squadron" follows the conquest of the French possessions from the campaign for Nova Scotia and Newfoundland up the St. Lawrence seaway to Montreal and Quebec, and Lake Ontario. The current book follows the path of the Brits going up the Hudson, Mohawk river to Stanwix, to Oswego, then the campaign to capture Fort Niagara. Great story and characters, and I love the details for the local area which are spot on....my stomping grounds.  As well, it explores a lot of the politics with the Iroquois and the confederacy for the time period. Great stuff. 

• Like 1