What are you reading?

Deleted Account

13 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

I read this a few years back. FAscinating read...especially interesting was noting where he specifically went to elk hunt back in the day. Like most books of this era, they refer very little to the arms they use, but you gather that what the author had and used was overall very utilitarian and basic ...usually a shotgun loaded with whatever they could find, which was blasted at whatever they came across. Woodsmanship at its most basic!

Nice!! I would love to read this!!

I usually go for non-fiction on WW 2, or the Civil war.  Currently, it is "15 Stars" about Ike, Mac, and Marshall. There were some interesting ties between those three Generals.

It is not bad, but I am more looking forward to my next one.  I found an old 1st edition of Ike's "Crusade in Europe" at a local flea market.

Just now, Daveboone said:

It is distracting to get used to the 1800s style of writing, but otherwise pretty good. Written in the same era, Moby Dick is also a great read, and  much easier and fun to read.

Definitely, their sentence structure was so different back then; consequently, it can be hard to follow.  I find that contempoorary writing is more concise...succinct, I guess with shorter sentence structure whereas the older style is more flowery or poetic...something like that, anyway (e.g., they tended to use a buttload of semicolons and dashes back then, making sentences loonger) .  

I read this a few years back. FAscinating read...especially interesting was noting where he specifically went to elk hunt back in the day. Like most books of this era, they refer very little to the arms they use, but you gather that what the author had and used was overall very utilitarian and basic ...usually a shotgun loaded with whatever they could find, which was blasted at whatever they came across. Woodsmanship at its most basic!

Also the part where some stretches of the Susquehanna were so over run with rattlesnakes they couldnt put ashore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Just finished 2 John Sanford novels, Bloody Genius (from the Virgil Flowers series) and Masked Prey (From the Lucas Davenport series). Both fast paced detective novels. Whole series are a great read.

I also read the C.J. Box novels about Joe Pickett, who is a Wyoming game warden. Read the first one because it was a area that I had hunted. Kept reading the series because they rang true to what I know, great interplay with established charecters including family plus he is always fighting the beauocracy. I would start with the first one, "Open Season" and go on from there. My hunting buddy, who is not much of a reader has read them all. The author, C.J.Box, has won a whole bunch of writing awards from the various crime writers groups.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Farflung said:

Just finished 2 John Sanford novels, Bloody Genius (from the Virgil Flowers series) and Masked Prey (From the Lucas Davenport series). Both fast paced detective novels. Whole series are a great read.

I also read the C.J. Box novels about Joe Pickett, who is a Wyoming game warden. Read the first one because it was a area that I had hunted. Kept reading the series because they rang true to what I know, great interplay with established charecters including family plus he is always fighting the beauocracy. I would start with the first one, "Open Season" and go on from there. My hunting buddy, who is not much of a reader has read them all. The author, C.J.Box, has won a whole bunch of writing awards from the various crime writers groups.

It’s been years since I have read any of the Joe Pickett novels, I really enjoyed them. They are some great mysteries. I’ll have to add another to my list soon. Thanks for reminding me about those books. 

• 6 months later...
How do you guys go about selecting a book to read. I feel like that is my biggest struggle. I'll look forever online at books I can get from the local library but never settle in on one. 

Lot of great suggestions in this thread! Ive got some great mountain man biographies you can borrow, that stuff fascinates me. Probably because I wouldnt last half an hour living like they did

• Like 2

Lot of great suggestions in this thread! Ive got some great mountain man biographies you can borrow, that stuff fascinates me. Probably because I wouldnt last half an hour living like they did

I agree but I over think things. This is how my brain works.

Maybe I’ll get this book …
But this book was recommend back on page 2….
But this book was recommend more…..
but then this book looks better…..
this ones at my local library that’s a bonus….
Oh but what about that one back on page 2….

Then I quit looking and give up without getting a book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you guys go about selecting a book to read. I feel like that is my biggest struggle. I'll look forever online at books I can get from the local library but never settle in on one. 

I walk Into the school library and the librarian hands me a book and says you will like this so I read it. She knows me pretty well and rarely lets me down.
Unfortunately that’s how I buy cars too and most car salesman don’t have my best interest in mind.

I walk Into the school library and the librarian hands me a book and says you will like this so I read it. She knows me pretty well and rarely lets me down.
Unfortunately that’s how I buy cars too and most car salesman don’t have my best interest in mind.

Maybe take your librarian car shopping?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wolc123 said:

My father in law sent me home with this last weekend.  Sort of a new genre for me, but not bad so far:

20210910_192613.jpg

Hemingway is one of my favorites...In fact I did my 12th grade English term paper on him....

My personal favorite is " For Whom the Bell Tolls"...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Hemingway is one of my favorites...In fact I did my 12th grade English term paper on him....

My personal favorite is " For Whom the Bell Tolls"...

I love Hemingway. I think I'd have to agree, "For Whome the Bell Tolls" is my favorite as well, followed closely by "To Have and to Have Not”. 

Edited by Splitear