American Tactical Omni Maxx Hybrid AR

I am looking at buying this AR for predator hunting, an extra home defence gun, and just for shooting fun. 5.56/223 the reviews for the most part are good, and it's only about $500 new. I have a couple different scopes I could put on it. But may go with a red dot? What do you think? Also have a light set up I will put on it. It has a poly (plastic) upper and lower that is steel reinforced. But from what I've gathered, it is very durable and lightweight, at just over 6lbs. Has a 1 in 7 twist barrel. I will get the fixed mag, with the pistol grip, as that is the most comfortable to me while handling. Also there is a quick loader, by Meat that works very well for loading fixed mag AR's that I'll pick up too. 

And get this, my bride of almost 40 years wants to learn how to shoot it!!! She has never shot anything in her 63 years! So who knows where this all might go? Maybe her alongside me in a deer blind?? Um.... maybe not, but I never thought she'd ever want to shoot either! She says it looks cool, and as long as it doesn't "kick" too bad, she will learn how to handle and shoot it. She is kinda spooked by this bail reform crap, and works from home. So welcomes the added security.

So just asking if anyone has one of these budget AR's and what do you think? How accurate are they out to 100 yards or so? Any major problems? I know ya get what ya pay for. But this AR fits my budget. And I think for what I will be using it for, it will be a good fit for my first AR. 

20200111_134501.thumb.jpeg.a6af06d7e33f84a888408d6a82b06ba9.jpeg

Here is a pic of the one I'm looking at.

From the folks at Take It To The Bank gun shop in Rotterdam. This shop is part museum, part gun shop! Some super cool stuff in there! And the owners are great to talk to. I recommend anyone to stop by, and check em out! 

• Like 2

20200111_134501.thumb.jpeg.a6af06d7e33f84a888408d6a82b06ba9.jpeg
Here is a pic of the one I'm looking at.
From the folks at Take It To The Bank gun shop in Rotterdam. This shop is part museum, part gun shop! Some super cool stuff in there! And the owners are great to talk to. I recommend anyone to stop by, and check em out! 
Lame fixed mag I presume? Top loader?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yes. Fixed mag, top loader. Thanks to King Cuomo's Unsafe Act.
I really do hate that shit! It's either top load or go with a fugly thordsen. The Gen 2 thordsen isn't too heinous looking which is the route I went but it's still really annoying. I really hope this crap gets thrown out in the supreme court

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, grampy said:

I am looking at buying this AR for predator hunting, an extra home defence gun, and just for shooting fun. 5.56/223 the reviews for the most part are good, and it's only about $500 new

Not sure if it is but it looks like;  and the specs. indicate it is a 16" barrel. You nor your bride will enjoy shooting a 16" barrel. They are extremely loud to shoot and make plinking somewhat of a chore.

When I built mine I started with a 16" and couldn't stand to shoot it. I ended rebuilding with a 20" which is 10 times better. A 16" is ok for hunting but if plinking is a consideration you may want to shoot a 16" before making the leap.

• Like 1

good post grampy. I'm in the same boat and thinking about a .223 AR as well. As much as I also dislike the fixed top load, I do think it's better than the featureless by a mile. I'm not a 3 gun or gun range guy, so 10 rounds and a speedloader with all the features isn't so bad for the hunter.

• Like 1

Collapsible stock, pistol grip, forward assist and is that a threaded muzzle brake? What, no dust cover? How can they sell that in NY, post ban?

Dam Democrats...one maniac and now we all have to suffer. If a Republican doesn't like a TV show he changes the channel. Just saying. Thank God a .308 bolt action wasn't used lol. 

Nice looking gun. Top load sucks tho. Can it be refitted with a 20" barrel as mentioned above? I have an AR-15 5.56/223 and AR-10 7.62/308. Love them!! Also have a NY compliant AR-15 223...Ugly as sin! The wife and kids shoot that one.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Collapsible stock, pistol grip, forward assist and is that a threaded muzzle brake? What, no dust cover? How can they sell that in NY, post ban?

Dam Democrats...one maniac and now we all have to suffer. If a Republican doesn't like a TV show he changes the channel. Just saying. Thank God a .308 bolt action wasn't used lol. 

Nice looking gun. Top load sucks tho. Can it be refitted with a 20" barrel as mentioned above? I have an AR-15 5.56/223 and AR-10 7.62/308. Love them!! Also have a NY compliant AR-15 223...Ugly as sin! The wife and kids shoot that one.

from what i've researched over the last few days (lol), as long as your mag is fixed, you can still have all of those features. The gray area still seems to be around the armaglock, patriot pin, CA compliant mods which requires the receiver to be open to discharge the mag. I've always been a risk adverse kind of guy though and I really dont think they fall into SAFE act compliant. 

I'd be curious to know more about how "fixed" something needs to be, and of course it looks like the state is intentionally vague. I'd like a device that I could remove should I move, and not something welded or glued. idk...

Edited by Belo

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

from what i've researched over the last few days (lol), as long as your mag is fixed, you can still have all of those features.

I was unaware of this.

9 minutes ago, Belo said:

I'd be curious to know more about how "fixed" something needs to be, and of course it looks like the state is intentionally vague. I'd like a device that I could remove should I move, and not something welded or glued. idk...

Me too...of course...Agreed

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

from what i've researched over the last few days (lol), as long as your mag is fixed, you can still have all of those features. The gray area still seems to be around the armaglock, patriot pin, CA compliant mods which requires the receiver to be open to discharge the mag. I've always been a risk adverse kind of guy though and I really dont think they fall into SAFE act compliant. 

Most of the mag locks are a pin held in by a screw with epoxy over the screw head.  You can assess how hard it is to remove the epoxy and then screw.  hint - not very.

• Like 4

That is true, because the ridiculous restrictions only apply to autoloaders with detachable magazines. I put a "spur" grip on mine and kept the functional mag. With some practice the spur really isn't a handicap in my opinion. The definition of a pistol grip in this situation is a grip "that protrudes conspicuously below the magazine well." Take that away and you have the freedom for detachable magazines. Or just run it the way you want. Has anyone actually heard of people getting jammed up with these laws?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That is true, because the ridiculous restrictions only apply to autoloaders with detachable magazines. I put a "spur" grip on mine and kept the functional mag. With some practice the spur really isn't a handicap in my opinion. The definition of a pistol grip in this situation is a grip "that protrudes conspicuously below the magazine well." Take that away and you have the freedom for detachable magazines. Or just run it the way you want. Has anyone actually heard of people getting jammed up with these laws?

To answer your question..... no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. But as I said, I’m risk adverse. I’m not huge into this platform or I would have bought one a long time ago.

So for me it’s a cool project and interesting gun now that I am in a better place to afford one. To risk all I’ve built with my family in THIS state, a pinned mag is something I can live with. If you check out the ejection port speed loaders, it’s not a bad deal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

No. But as I said, I’m risk adverse. I’m not huge into this platform or I would have bought one a long time ago.

So for me it’s a cool project and interesting gun now that I am in a better place to afford one. To risk all I’ve built with my family in THIS state, a pinned mag is something I can live with. If you check out the ejection port speed loaders, it’s not a bad deal.

My feelings exactly Belo.

This is just a "fun gun" to me. The fixed ten round mag with the ejection port speed loaders, will be fine for what I want to use it for.

And the main reason for going to a gun shop for the purchase, instead of ordering the components online, and building one myself. Is to be sure I have a totally legal, NY compliant AR. For me, it's just not worth taking a risk, for something that is only used for leisurely fun.

That said, I still think the Safe Act, is a big stinking pile of BS!

So does anyone have this particular rifle, to give me some feedback?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Belo said:

I'd be curious to know more about how "fixed" something needs to be, and of course it looks like the state is intentionally vague. I'd like a device that I could remove should I move, and not something welded or glued. idk

Edited by Nomad

Grampy i would caution any off brand AR purchase. Ask as many questions you can about were the parts were made. Especially barrel and bolt cartier group. If they dance around it then most likely china. If they say Bear creek arsenal i caution you there also. From everything ive read u have about a 25% chance of getting a good barrel. The weight u mentioned is probably within a half pound of a aluminum rifle.I would definitely look at a smith m&p sport 2. For the price which you should be able to find for $650-$750. They are very popular and very durable. 16" barrel noise is marginally louder than a 20". The type of muzzle break on the end is whats going to cause the noise. If it became a issue just take off the break and put on a thread protector. Someone could build a damn good ar for u in that $600-650 range. Pm me if you have questions, i dont want to sound arrogant but i have been working and using ARs for a long time. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chrisw said:

want. Has anyone actually heard of people getting jammed up with these laws?

My county DA said she won’t prosecute a Safe Act only violation.

I do know a young man getting jammed up ( felony charges ) in another county, in some hick counties , getting a felony charge is a big deal for the cops there , who ,otherwise would be arresting chicken thieves and such . Other places they don’t have time for busting a regular guy for a couple extra rounds, or drop free mags.

FWI cops can’t count the rounds in your mag on a normal traffic stop and such courts tossed that a few years back .

• Like 2

You can look at the MA mag locks, they are a shear pin lock where you will need to drill out the pin in order to remove the mag. I have 5 round mags put in mine since they are hunting ar's. Also if you will be night hunting and using night vision, the type of muzzle brake you have might effect the nv recovery time to get a second shot. I have been checked by a trooper [troop c] and all was good with my mag lock after he pushed the release and could not pull the mag.

Edited by Engraver99
  • Like 1