American Tactical Omni Maxx Hybrid AR

ATI used to be located in Rochester, but moved to SC a few years back because NY was making it harder for them to operate here. A buddy of mine works for them and stayed with them through the move. Good company. They have a nice shotgun line also, although they're always out of stock on the website.

• Like 2

X2.   Have both.  Honestly I usually forget them anyways. 
Your the perfect candidate for a removable mag.....

Couple things I'll chip in on.
I've had the thordsen gen 2 for 2 seasons. I def prefer it over a fixed mag. Maybe plinking is different but loading and unloading gets really annoying after awhile. I have grown to like it and it feels very comfy. As far as the rig your looking at, I'm with zeek. Alot better rifle available for minimal increase in cost. I wouldn't worry about barrel length either, I'd be worried about a quality barrel. You will be wearing hearing protection so who cares how loud it is ? Don't pull the trigger just yet (see what I did there ?!) do some shopping. I know there's a better rig out there to suit your needs.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Your the perfect candidate for a removable mag.....

Couple things I'll chip in on.
I've had the thordsen gen 2 for 2 seasons. I def prefer it over a fixed mag. Maybe plinking is different but loading and unloading gets really annoying after awhile. I have grown to like it and it feels very comfy. As far as the rig your looking at, I'm with zeek. Alot better rifle available for minimal increase in cost. I wouldn't worry about barrel length either, I'd be worried about a quality barrel. You will be wearing hearing protection so who cares how loud it is ? Don't pull the trigger just yet (see what I did there ?!) do some shopping. I know there's a better rig out there to suit your needs.

The only thing i hate about the thordson is toggle between safe/fire can't be done in the ready position unless my fingers were 2 inches longer.  

The only thing i hate about the thordson is toggle between safe/fire can't be done in the ready position unless my fingers were 2 inches longer.  
I don't have that issue, but I have seen ambi safety kits which I've heard do the trick

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

ATI used to be located in Rochester, but moved to SC a few years back because NY was making it harder for them to operate here. A buddy of mine works for them and stayed with them through the move. Good company. They have a nice shotgun line also, although they're always out of stock on the website.

Yes, they moved to where I lived for a time, in Summerville SC. My brother still lives there, and tells me a few of his buddies use the ATI's and they all love em? And he also knows a couple others who work there, who say it's a great place to work.

Thanks for all the help and comments guy's. Will give some thought to all the great advice! Will stick with the fixed mag though on whatever I get. Just more comfortable with the full grip, after handling a few of the stubby ones.

And will take Nomad up on his gracious offer for the speed loaders!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

16" barrel noise is marginally louder than a 20". The type of muzzle break on the end is whats going to cause the noise.

You could very well be right as far as muzzle brake is concerned but I chose to build mine as a hunting rifle with a conventional barrel and can tell you there is a significant difference between the 16", 18" and 20" barrels.

The .223/5.56  in any rifle does not have a lot of recoil to begin with. The muzzle brake design was for the military  to reduce recoil so they could shoot more accurate when shooting fast.

2 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

i dont want to sound arrogant but i have been working and using ARs for a long time. 

Never said you were arrogant....I have had my hands on a few also and that is why I recommended he or anyone else looking to buy to shoot a 16" before buying one and I certainly wouldn't recommend one to a first time plinker  but this is free country and to each their own. 

10 hours ago, Steve D said:

Never said you were arrogant....I have had my hands on a few also and that is why I recommended he or anyone else looking to buy to shoot a 16" before buying one and I certainly wouldn't recommend one to a first time plinker  but this is free country and to each their own. 

What i wrote was in no way aimed at you. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

On 1/13/2020 at 7:21 PM, Engraver99 said:

You can look at the MA mag locks, they are a shear pin lock where you will need to drill out the pin in order to remove the mag. I have 5 round mags put in mine since they are hunting ar's. Also if you will be night hunting and using night vision, the type of muzzle brake you have might effect the nv recovery time to get a second shot. I have been checked by a trooper [troop c] and all was good with my mag lock after he pushed the release and could not pull the mag.

holy shit really? That might be one of the first stories i've heard of someone even being checked

On 1/13/2020 at 7:43 PM, Gencountyzeek said:

Push out rear take down pin, strip rounds off the mag. Or keep gun together and pull charging handle which will load then eject the rounds.

it sounds like a PITA until you think about the fact that most of our hunting shotguns require this exact same approach lol. Oh how will I ever get all 5 slugs out of my browning? rack, rack, rack, rack, rack onto the seat of the truck lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

it sounds like a PITA until you think about the fact that most of our hunting shotguns require this exact same approach lol. Oh how will I ever get all 5 slugs out of my browning? rack, rack, rack, rack, rack onto the seat of the truck lol.

Yeah, no big deal to just pull the charging handle a few times to unload. And load with a speed loader from the top. I'm not taking it into battle. Just some fun range shooting, a predator hunt now and then, and another home defence gun for another part of of the home.

From the few AR's I have handled in gun shops, the pistol grip always seems to be the most comfortable to me. That means a fixed mag in NYS. I can live with that, given the other options of being NYS compliant.

Still sorting out the options, and advice given here, and haven't 'pulled the trigger' yet.

• Like 1

Just now, squirrelwhisperer said:

Ok so what about a "pre-ban" gun...meaning pistol grip and removable mag? Something that was purchased long before this dumb law went into effect? I'm asking for a friend, of course. :pardon:

was it registered during the registration period by your friend?

1 minute ago, Belo said:

i wonder if the pmag's with the removable floor plates would make unloading easier too? 

I use pmags.  Honestly,. people make far too much of the unloading issue.  You are only charging it once before hunt and four times after to unload assuming you never shot (5 rounds max for hunting).  It takes less than 10 seconds and most of that is looking for the ejected rounds.  Would take more time to drop the plate and reassemble.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I use pmags.  Honestly,. people make far too much of the unloading issue.  You are only charging it once before hunt and four times after to unload assuming you never shot (5 rounds max for hunting).  It takes less than 10 seconds and most of that is looking for the ejected rounds.  Would take more time to drop the plate and reassemble.

Yea... 5 rounds max if you are hunting takes no time at all. 

If you are at the range there's a very simple, fast and fun way to unload the mag.  

Edited by johnplav
  • Haha 1