Csstom Loads

Not sure if anyone would be interested but Federal has a new "custom shop" where you can order specific loads to fit your needs for some rifle & shotguns loads. They appear to be pretty pricey @ $100 per box of 20 and probably wouldn't be something everyone would be interested in but some might.

https://www.federalpremium.com/custom-shop/custom-rifle-ammo/

$100 for a box of 20, holy cow. $100 will buy a lot of reloading supply’s to do your own custom loads 
So how are they supposed to make you a precision load? In order to do that you would want to make a round gun specific. How can they do that without said gun? Seems very weird unless it's a matter of you work up a load then they just do the work. Idk seems weird. Have to check their website to learn more. But the video explains absolutely nothing. I must say however it is an interesting concept.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

So how are they supposed to make you a precision load? In order to do that you would want to make a round gun specific.

On their website they have drop down lists for caliber, bullet style, bullet weight, and what it's intended  use is. Not something I would be interested but definitely a different concept.

3 hours ago, rob-c said:

$100 for a box of 20, holy cow. $100 will buy a lot of reloading supply’s to do your own custom loads 

I agree 100 % but there are a ton of people that do not reload, want to make the investment, or to take the time to learn how. I am sure they will have some suckers on the hook. 

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steve D said:

On their website they have drop down lists for caliber, bullet style, bullet weight, and what it's attended use is. Not something I would be interested but definitely a different concept.

I agree 100 % but there are a ton of people that do not reload, want to make the investment, or to take the time to learn how. I am sure they will have some suckers on the hook. 

Likely fits a niche market of shooters or hunters who could do it themselves if they had the time, but don't. 

I never used to understand the high prices people pay for services or products that they could in turn do themselves at home for less. Then my career got going. And I understood. I use cell cams alot because I don't have the free time to glass every evening.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

So how are they supposed to make you a precision load? In order to do that you would want to make a round gun specific. How can they do that without said gun? Seems very weird unless it's a matter of you work up a load then they just do the work. Idk seems weird. Have to check their website to learn more. But the video explains absolutely nothing. I must say however it is an interesting concept.

There are several places that will make custom loads.

Some you send the rifle in and they will tailor a load/ scope set up out to what ever distance you want (many pick 600 yds, about the distance on a sheep hunt often encountered)

Others send a sample pack of loads, typically 5 shots, at either side of traditional powder levels for the bullet choice/chambering. Pick the best and they'll copy that for you.

I have one custom rifle that the builder developed the load as part of the package. I don't really shoot it a whole lot, and between dies and a specific powder required....I just call him and a few days later 40 perfect rounds show up at my door. I find loading unappealing, like mowing my lawn. Some folks take great pride in either task, I'd rather just shoot the damn thing (or dump a few gallons of round up). 

YMMV

• Like 1

There are several places that will make custom loads.
Some you send the rifle in and they will tailor a load/ scope set up out to what ever distance you want (many pick 600 yds, about the distance on a sheep hunt often encountered)
Others send a sample pack of loads, typically 5 shots, at either side of traditional powder levels for the bullet choice/chambering. Pick the best and they'll copy that for you.
I have one custom rifle that the builder developed the load as part of the package. I don't really shoot it a whole lot, and between dies and a specific powder required....I just call him and a few days later 40 perfect rounds show up at my door. I find loading unappealing, like mowing my lawn. Some folks take great pride in either task, I'd rather just shoot the damn thing (or dump a few gallons of round up). 
YMMV
Welcome back!

• Thanks 1