I’m practicing lines from Meet The Parents

Nomad

Oldest daughter is buying her first house , engineer inspection is tomorrow. Prior to, that her BF and I are having breakfast ,where he’s going to ask permission to marry her . So I’ve been watching YouTube videos of Meet the Parents , to prepare .

example , 

Jack Byrnes:
I will be watching you and if I find that you are trying to corrupt my first born child, I will bring you down, baby. I will bring you down to Chinatown.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Congratulations! I'll never forget asking my father in law. It was awkward...

I went to their house for dinner, without my wife. We ate dinner while watching a Cardinals game, all the while her mom was about to explode. She finally said "Do you have something to ask John?"

I said "I think you know." 

I'll never forget what he told me "You're a good guy with your head on straight, I'm happy for you guys." One of the best and most memorable dinners of my life.

No need to scare the guy if you like him. My relationship with my father in law essentially started at that point, even though I'd been dating her for 5 years. He's a quiet guy, but that sentence said volumes.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

Congratulations! I'll never forget asking my father in law. It was awkward...

I went to their house for dinner, without my wife. We ate dinner while watching a Cardinals game, all the while her mom was about to explode. She finally said "Do you have something to ask John?"

I said "I think you know." 

I'll never forget what he told me "You're a good guy with your head on straight, I'm happy for you guys." One of the best and most memorable dinners of my life.

No need to scare the guy if you like him. My relationship with my father in law essentially started at that point, even though I'd been dating her for 5 years. He's a quiet guy, but that sentence said volumes.

I asked my FIL while on a guys fishing weekend at Chautauqua lake . He was getting his boat situated in the slip and stopped what he was doing to shake my hand. I've been blessed with great in laws. 

• Like 7

I did not ask for my wife’s hand and I do regret that.  Her Dad and I are very close, hunt, fish, and even worked together for 10 years (post marriage).  Honestly, he had 10 kids, I’m not sure he minded, but it would have been a great sign of respect.

My son in law did ask for my daughters hand, which I figured was coming sooner or later.   The only thing I did say is: We are happy for both of you and you have our blessing.   I was honored that he asked me before he asked her.  

It’s a good sign your future son in law thinks enough about you and your daughter to ask for her hand.  I hope they enjoy a great future together. 

• Like 2

My in laws live up near Boston and when I was planning on asking, my sister happened to be up there taking her kid to a Red Sox game the following night. My sister took my soon to be fiancé out so I could talk to her father. She left my nephew home with me and that kid wouldn’t leave me alone. Every time I was about to ask, he came running in with a new game or question or BS.
Eventually I told him to go hide...I spoke to her father and then ran to go find my nephew....it was a good excuse to get leave my FIL alone as he is not a talker...still isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Congratulations Larry! Great news! That brings you one step closer to being a Grampy!! You'll be a great one!

My FIL was one of the greatest men I've ever known. He was like the father I never had. He was tough as nails. And when I asked to marry his daughter, he looked me dead in the eyes, with his beginning to water, and said "nothing would make me happier son". When he passed, my hand was on his shoulder. 

• Like 4

Congratulations Larry!!!! Must be a good guy to have enough sense to ask you for your daughters hand in marriage.

I remember going over to my now in-laws house to ask both mother and father in law for their permission to marry their daughter. I was more nervous doing that than asking my wife if she would marry me!

Some might say it’s a silly tradition now a days but honestly it’s a sign of respect towards your future family. It’s a tradition that I hope doesn’t go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Congrats! I never got to have an official father in law, he passed at 52 or 53. I was however lucky enough to be his friend from getting to know him at my uncle's hunting camp when I was 16 till he died. When I was in college close to their house (who doesn't pick college to be close to hunting camp?) before I even knew his daughter he would invite me over for a home cooked venison dinner. He was a fun guy and I wish he would have gotten to walk my wife down the aisle to me and gotten to spend time as my kids grampa.

• Like 2

Congrats! I've been with the same girl for 4 years and have met her dad (not a fan) 2 times. I wish he was a good guy and there for her.  I bought my house when I was 24 and it's been a great decision looking back, now thay I'm 25 lol. I will be engaged within a few months so I know the excitement and nerves he must be feeling. 

• Like 2

Never had the opportunity to ask or meet my FIL as he died when my wife was a young child. I did however ask my MIL to have my wife’s hand in marriage, I love her mom just like my own. It just shows so much  more respect when a man asks the future in laws for their daughters hand in marriage. 

• Like 1

True story...

When I met my daughter's high school sweetheart, he was all of 17 years old. I had guns all over the table, cleaning them, as I knew he was coming over. So we are all talking, i continue to take apart and reassemble various weapons. The girls finally walk inside as I finish reassembly of my 1911. With it in my hand, I walk over to him, put my arm around him and whisper, "That is my only daughter. If she ever comes home crying to me...I'm not afraid to go BACK to prison (as I look down at my Kimber)" He turns white and starts sweating. Now, I've never been in any trouble but he doesn't know that. This happened almost 13 years ago. 3 grandchildren later...they are still married! Such a respectful lad, too. lol 8)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nomad said:

Oldest daughter is buying her first house , engineer inspection is tomorrow. Prior to, that her BF and I are having breakfast ,where he’s going to ask permission to marry her . So I’ve been watching YouTube videos of Meet the Parents , to prepare .

example , 

Jack Byrnes:
I will be watching you and if I find that you are trying to corrupt my first born child, I will bring you down, baby. I will bring you down to Chinatown.

Is that why you were out drowning your sorrows on Friday evening? lol

• Like 1