I’m practicing lines from Meet The Parents

Nomad

Congrats! I remember when I asked my future FIL wound up having to do it over the phone (we've been together nearly 5 years at this point) was going to ask the weekend before when we were all supposed to hang out then they pulled an audible and decided to hang out with my fiance's aunt and uncle instead. So I called them nobody answers then I try the MIL's number she answers I say hi can I please speak to Mr. FIL. I ask and the first thing he says is "kind of odd timing huh?" Under his breath. He couldn't have been happier that I had called to ask to marry his daughter. A few weeks later after our trip to Iceland where I proposed on the glacier we come to find out it was like a day prior that they found out my MIL had breast cancer. Hence the odd timing mumble. Fast forward to today she's all clear and everyone is doing well and looking forward to the wedding in June. Moral of the story is@Nomad go easy on the kid. God knows I am pretty sure I blacked out halfway through the conversation and was running on pure autopilot. I was shaking like a meth head for a good hour after the call. It was intense. So best of luck and enjoy the new addition to your family! Hope he likes Hunting!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

All went well, breakfast was almost over, when he worked up the courage to ask . I didn’t leave him hanging welcomed him to the family right away , we drove together to the house so we could talk more .

Lot of changes , he lives a little bit away and now is moving here, plus  new house , and he just got a new job, a  Union trade job , some travel and has to take courses a night . 

Plus now I’ll have a house to, paint , regrade some land, add and change some outlets , add insulation to attic .......

We’ll see if he becomes a hunter , think he’s open to, it though .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 8

21 minutes ago, Nomad said:

All went well, breakfast was almost over, when he worked up the courage to ask . I didn’t leave him hanging welcomed him to the family right away , we drove together to the house so we could talk more .

Lot of changes , he lives a little bit away and now is moving here, plus  new house , and he just got a new job, a  Union trade job , some travel and has to take courses a night . 

Plus now I’ll have a house to, paint , regrade some land, add and change some outlets , add insulation to attic .......

We’ll see if he becomes a hunter , think he’s open to, it though .

I was praying that you wouldn't scare him away Larry.  lol

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

You already know he's gonna ask ? That ruins it. 

4 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Congrats! I remember when I asked my future FIL wound up having to do it over the phone (we've been together nearly 5 years at this point) was going to ask the weekend before when we were all supposed to hang out then they pulled an audible and decided to hang out with my fiance's aunt and uncle instead. So I called them nobody answers then I try the MIL's number she answers I say hi can I please speak to Mr. FIL. I ask and the first thing he says is "kind of odd timing huh?" Under his breath. He couldn't have been happier that I had called to ask to marry his daughter. A few weeks later after our trip to Iceland where I proposed on the glacier we come to find out it was like a day prior that they found out my MIL had breast cancer. Hence the odd timing mumble. Fast forward to today she's all clear and everyone is doing well and looking forward to the wedding in June. Moral of the story is@Nomad go easy on the kid. God knows I am pretty sure I blacked out halfway through the conversation and was running on pure autopilot. I was shaking like a meth head for a good hour after the call. It was intense. So best of luck and enjoy the new addition to your family! Hope he likes Hunting!

better the FIL knows it's coming.

had my pitch on lock down. my wife (then gf) went with my family family on a carribean cruise. i managed to pick out and purchase a nice rock and setting while at port in another country. guys parted with girls to go shopping. met back up with girls within 45 minutes. got balls busted because "the guys took longer to shop". maxed credit card and left all the goods there so Diamonds International manager could get paperwork and stuff together to be picked up by a cruise rep. both whom i didn't know! paperwork for a loop hole to get through customs duty free. we get back on ship and cruise rep leaves a message on our room phone saying congrats and it was being kept in the ship's vault. i delete it in a hurry. i have my mom smuggle it with her jewelry through customs.  fast foward and asking MIL goes as planned. can't get a hold of FIL living 3 hrs away. setup a whole scavenger hunt for rock and to pop the question christmas morning. christmas morning still nothing from FIL. finally get his house number and him on the line. says all good things and gives me his blessing then cuts the convo short. i go in to an oblivious soon to be fiance and propose without any hiccups as planned.

as it turned out his work cell got switched and given to his co-worker. jackass of a co-worker never changed the voicemail greeting or told my FIL he had a message from me. i was standing out in my detached garage of my new house with little on freezing my ass off. wife inside thinking i'm getting something only important to me, wondering why i'm delaying christmas. nerves and cold had me a mess. i feel like i blacked out too and don't know if anything i said sounded intelligent. all while thinking i couldn't ask his first born daughter without his blessing and the whole plan was all going to fall apart! he was happy as hell though and said sorry multiple times for the cell mishap. also he apparently cut things short, because he could barely keep it together without crying. being stout trademan and probably over 6'-3" he felt he needed to keep it together i guess. lol not sure how many, but i likely lost years off my life though from going through it all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I was praying that you wouldn't scare him away Larry.  lol

What !? I’m a cross between Gandhi and Geo Clooney with hunting land , what’s not to love ?

I even set him up, with my diamond guy, to save him some cash , and I don’t just refer any jamoke ,hell i might even give him a Dmap and my fourth best stand if he takes up hunting .

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Nomad said:

What !? I’m a cross between Gandhi and Geo Clooney with hunting land , what’s not to love ?

I even set him up, with my diamond guy, to save him some cash , and I don’t just refer any jamoke ,hell i might even give him a Dmap and my fourth best stand if he takes up hunting .

soo many things going on here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Is that why you were out drowning your sorrows on Friday evening? lol

I’m there every 12 days with my former crew from work . Between the night shift,  days off , day shift , their last day of the day shift is every 12 days .

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Why didn't you tell me the 4th best stand was in play? I would have gotten divorced and been your son in law for that 4th stand in a heartbeat!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Nomad said:

4th BEST! shoot this guy must be a real good guy for that

Funny story.  My brother can be old school too so when his first daughter wanted to introduce her first BF, she wanted to introduce him to me first.  My wife and I met them for dinner and the BF can away scared shitless of me.

My wife said "I guess what you were trying to do worked."

I said "What do you mean what I trying to do?"

"You know, trying to scare him by not talking and giving him a mean look the whole time."

"What?  No, I just found what ever he was talking about uninteresting so I was just there enjoying my meal and not paying any attention."

• Like 3

Congratz Nomad....I think...

I remember asking my wife's parents for their blessing. They let me sweat a minute or two but made it pretty easy. I should have been suspicious immediately!! I have tried to return her a few times now and they insist there are no returns or warranty!

I did have a related funny encounter. My Mom first introduced me to husband #3 before they were hitched and I was coming in from hunting so carrying a gun, unshaven, wearing a knife.......he still brings up he was a bit intimidated lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Why didn't you tell me the 4th best stand was in play? I would have gotten divorced and been your son in law for that 4th stand in a heartbeat!

You can have number 1 , if you don’t marry her ..... 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

You forget he's got 2!

Ya the CPA in Buffalo is currently available . Water skier , snowboarder, world traveler , pistol owner .

643FAF89-E4A3-4AFF-8A94-E910171E3D0D.png

D61C089A-7873-4777-A5D9-6F81BAA727DB.png

• Like 1

You have a good memory.  She’s probably not the stereotypical cpa .
I remember that one (probably the fun one) was big into the mermaid parade then someone posted pictures of horrible sights from the parade I almost needed to gouge my eyes out after viewing. @Biz-R-OWorld you still got hope for getting that number 1 stand!

6 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Did they pick a date yet?

I wouldn't miss it for the world........

Ha I don’t know , I think it’s a bit off though . We have a brand new union hall seats about 200, bar, full commercial kitchen . I can rent it for $300, hire a couple bartenders, a caterer and be out of there for a few grand , but no....

She said at my retirement party she would not want it there ! 

I had well over 100 at my party between booze and catered BBQ about $30 a man .

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Nomad said:

Ha I don’t know , I think it’s a bit off though . We have a brand new union hall seats about 200, bar, full commercial kitchen . I can rent it for $300, hire a couple bartenders, a caterer and be out of there for a few grand , but no....

She said at my retirement party she would not want it there ! 

I had well over 100 at my party between booze and catered BBQ about $30 a man .

When I got engaged my father in law told us, "here's a check for $10,000. DO with it as you choose. You can elope and put it in the bank or spend the entire amount. Your choice" . She spent all of it and then some...lol. 

• Like 2