walker game ears

This may have been discussed already but, does anyone have or use these? I was thinking mainly for spring turkey hunting as my hearing is real bad especially in my left ear. And to help with muzzle blast when hunting out of a blind. There are a bunch of types out there now besides the original electronic ear muffs. Looking forward to comments. Thanks

One of my concerns with any electronic amplification would be the increase of the sounds of all the tweety birds and such! I'm afraid that ear muffs will just amplify everything and not really help me hear turkeys in the distance? Plus with my bad hearing being mostly in 1 ear will these things help with directional hearing?

I have the walker razor slim.  They work great.  Added volume to the quiet sounds but protect from the high db noise of shooting.  The only thing that isn't optimal for hunting is that its hard to tell sound direction when wearing them.    That said, Andrew and I were just discussing that we need to start wearing them when hunting dogs.  My ears were ringing for weeks after last outing.  I don't want to permanently damage them any worse.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I have the walker razor slim.  They work great.  Added volume to the quiet sounds but protect from the high db noise of shooting.  The only thing that isn't optimal for hunting is that its hard to tell sound direction when wearing them.    That said, Andrew and I were just discussing that we need to start wearing them when hunting dogs.  My ears were ringing for weeks after last outing.  I don't want to permanently damage them any worse.

I got news for you Moog, if your ears have been ringing for weeks you definitely did damage. 

I have the muffs....PAI to shoot with like any muffs. They do enhance the volume of things and cut off hi volumes. If used for hunting, would considered the ear buds. I would have gotten a set but was afraid id end up losing one or both. I have not tried any of the ear bud types.

Edited by Engraver99

38 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Serious question, do soldiers wear heating protection when in combat?   I assume no but man that would be tough.  

Typically they do not. Usually at the time the sh**t hits the fan the farthest thing from their minds is sticking the foam in their ears and that is about all they are offered.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2020 at 11:16 AM, 2012_taco said:

Update, I bought a pair of walker razor game ears. I figured it can't hurt to have them on while turkey hunting in a blind and it will definitely save what hearing i have left from the shotgun blasts. we'll see if I actually keep them on all morning?

Were they comfortable enough to keep on all morning?

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

Walker Game Ears are simply amplifiers with a compression setting.  If you have hearing loss from shooting, it's sensorineural or nerve damage.  It is most likely above 1000hz therefore the damage above 1000hz is where the specific frequencies need to be amplified correctly. An amplifier will make the low frequency sounds way too loud before the high frequencies are increased enough for clarity. In order to correct or treat a hearing loss the amplification needs to be frequent specific like a equalizer is to a stereo system. The human ear when perfect can hear from a low of 20hz to 20,000hz yet by the time we are in our teens to early twenties this drops to 20hz - 15,000hz. Speech is heard from about 500hz to about 6000hz and most sounds of the woods fall above 1500hz to perhaps 8000hz for some birds and insects excepts say grunts and ruffed grouse thumping, etc.  

10 hours ago, nybuckboy said:

Walker Game Ears are simply amplifiers with a compression setting.  If you have hearing loss from shooting, it's sensorineural or nerve damage.  It is most likely above 1000hz therefore the damage above 1000hz is where the specific frequencies need to be amplified correctly. An amplifier will make the low frequency sounds way too loud before the high frequencies are increased enough for clarity. In order to correct or treat a hearing loss the amplification needs to be frequent specific like a equalizer is to a stereo system. The human ear when perfect can hear from a low of 20hz to 20,000hz yet by the time we are in our teens to early twenties this drops to 20hz - 15,000hz. Speech is heard from about 500hz to about 6000hz and most sounds of the woods fall above 1500hz to perhaps 8000hz for some birds and insects excepts say grunts and ruffed grouse thumping, etc.  

What he said !