FREE Educational Opportunity

Here is a opportunity to get an understanding of how the "fur" industry operates. A ton of new "predator" hunters are out and about and some I have come across do not have a clue what to do with a coyote or fox once they shoot one. Some say they will have it mounted, some say have it tanned, some just leave them lay , throw them in a hedgerow somewhere, or give them to a taxidermist.  There is a market for them but one should have some idea of how to handle them, what what they should look like, and what to expect as far as their value.

A fur auction is a good place to observe, ask questions, and to get somewhat of a understanding off how the process goes. There are no fees to get in, no "guest" speakers, or anyone trying to sell you something, (except maybe a raffle ticket) and provides an opportunity to witness the process and ask questions.

This particular auction is a great place to observe and they also usually have a kitchen with coffee, donuts, hots, hamburgers etc. They move a significant amount of fur through there of all types and you can stay as long as you like. It does get crowed once in awhile but there is  usually enough room to accommodate anyone that shows up. Note: The $10.00 charge listed below only applies if you are selling fur.

These are the GVTA auctions listed.

January 19, 2020 - Genesee Valley Trappers Association Fur Auction at the Clubhouse, 4462 County Road 32 (3 miles east of Honeoye, south of 20A), Honeoye, NY (6:30 am fur checkin/10:00 am auction) ($10.00 charge for non-members) (For information call Tom Miller, 585-229-4759)

February 16. 2020- Genesee Valley Trappers Association Fur Auction at the Clubhouse, 4462 County Road 32 (3 miles east of Honeoye, south of 20A), Honeoye, NY (6:30 am fur checkin/10:00 am auction) ($10.00 charge for non-members) (For information call Tom Miller, 585-229-4759)

March 15, 2020 - Genesee Valley Trappers Association Fur Auction at the Clubhouse, 4462 County Road 32 (3 miles east of Honeoye, south of 20A), Honeoye, NY (6:30 am fur checkin/10:00 am auction) ($10.00 charge for non-members) (For information call Tom Miller, 585-229-4759)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Steve D said:

Here is a opportunity to get an understanding of how the "fur" industry operates. A ton of new "predator" hunters are out and about and some I have come across do not have a clue what to do with a coyote or fox once they shoot one. Some say they will have it mounted, some say have it tanned, some just leave them lay , throw them in a hedgerow somewhere, or give them to a taxidermist.  There is a market for them but one should have some idea of how to handle them, what what they should look like, and what to expect as far as their value.

A fur auction is a good place to observe, ask questions, and to get somewhat of a understanding off how the process goes. There are no fees to get in, no "guest" speakers, or anyone trying to sell you something, (except maybe a raffle ticket) and provides an opportunity to witness the process and ask questions.

This particular auction is a great place to observe and they also usually have a kitchen with coffee, donuts, hots, hamburgers etc. They move a significant amount of fur through there of all types and you can stay as long as you like. It does get crowed once in awhile but there is  usually enough room to accommodate anyone that shows up. Note: The $10.00 charge listed below only applies if you are selling fur.

These are the GVTA auctions listed.

January 19, 2020 - Genesee Valley Trappers Association Fur Auction at the Clubhouse, 4462 County Road 32 (3 miles east of Honeoye, south of 20A), Honeoye, NY (6:30 am fur checkin/10:00 am auction) ($10.00 charge for non-members) (For information call Tom Miller, 585-229-4759)

February 16. 2020- Genesee Valley Trappers Association Fur Auction at the Clubhouse, 4462 County Road 32 (3 miles east of Honeoye, south of 20A), Honeoye, NY (6:30 am fur checkin/10:00 am auction) ($10.00 charge for non-members) (For information call Tom Miller, 585-229-4759)

March 15, 2020 - Genesee Valley Trappers Association Fur Auction at the Clubhouse, 4462 County Road 32 (3 miles east of Honeoye, south of 20A), Honeoye, NY (6:30 am fur checkin/10:00 am auction) ($10.00 charge for non-members) (For information call Tom Miller, 585-229-4759)

I think I am going to swing in on Sunday and take a peek. I certainly didn't end up with any fur that would warrant going to an auction but I want to see the process and hopefully I'll have more for later. 

4 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I think I am going to swing in on Sunday and take a peek. I certainly didn't end up with any fur that would warrant going to an auction but I want to see the process and hopefully I'll have more for later. 

I hope to go just to check out prices.

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

I wish I was closer i'd like to see how it all works.I watched a youtube video last night they said eastern coyote weren't worth anything.Another video said there only buying 3x coons for $5

Prices tend to depend on how many buyers are there, what they are looking for, the quality and quantity of the fur. A good example would be if you have three buyers looking for coyotes and they start bidding against each other the prices can get quite high. If only one buyer is buying coyotes the prices tend to be a little lower.

It is a gamble for sure but you are not required to sell at the price offered and can take your hides home with you for another day.

If I make it to check out the prices I will try to post what I find out.

• Like 1

It didn't turn out to be a real big or busy auction and was over by 11:15. There were four buyers. They only had 72 lots which is pretty low.

Raccoon went from .50 cents with a high of $9.00 and most were in the range of $5.00-$8.00

Coyotes went from $40.00 to a high of $70.00

Muskrats went from $3.00 to a high of $6.00 with the average being around $4.50

Grey Fox were a surprise going from $20.00-$33.00.

The big disappointment was the Red fox that only went from $2.00-$7.00 with a average of about $5.00

Squirrels>>>$1.50

Another disappointment was the fact that no one there selling hides was under 50. Disappointing in the fact that the place used to be packed with all ages and it was not unusual to see fourteen-sixteen year olds  bringing in fur by the armloads hoping to use their fur check to buy a new gun or more supplies.

Usually the first auction and the last auction are the biggest of the year and can only hope this is not a indication of the trend. :(

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Paula said:

Is that price range for coyote good or bad for this year?

I would say they were were pretty good considering the market. They could be better as in comparison to the rest of the country but overall not bad.

The one I saw go for $40.00 wasn't that good of a coyote, wasn't very big,  and wasn't put up very well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paula said:

I'm surprised at the big difference between red and grey fox. 

Only going by the guys that hunt coyote on this site I hoping prices would be better. 

Yeah I was to..$40 & up ain't bad for a coyote but they are still a lot of work.

57 minutes ago, rachunter said:

$40 a yote isn't bad at all.I'd let the reds go or keep them for personal use.I never knew they bought squirrels.How where they put up?

Believe or not the squirrels were fleshed, stretched, and dried like you would any other fur. First time I have seen them at an auction and was surprised they even sold. Sure seems like a hell of a lot of work for a buck and a half.

2 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Would love to go to one of these if it were in the Capital District area (Albany) , unfortunately the Fur hating types would probably protest !

Actually there was also one today in Balston Spa and it sounds like the results were about the same.

I heard of another one in Herkimer on  Feb.1st and April 11th @ the VFW in Herkimer.

• Like 1

I was looking around on trapperman and there's a few guys the put up and sell gray,fox and RED squirrels.They use weasel or mink stretchers.There mostly bi-catches.I guess it's better then wasting them.They must have some patience to skin and flesh a red squirrel.

I was looking around on trapperman and there's a few guys the put up and sell gray,fox and RED squirrels.They use weasel or mink stretchers.There mostly bi-catches.I guess it's better then wasting them.They must have some patience to skin and flesh a red squirrel.

Didn’t TF make a Chipmunk Jock Strap earlier this season?

Interesting info here- with the amount of time and effort and work those prices seems insulting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Interesting info here- with the amount of time and effort and work those prices seems insulting

As compared to deer hunting:yes:.  The prices like everything else are based on supply and demand. With Russia's economy being in the toilet the last few years the demand has dropped. They were the main market once "civilized" people quit wearing fur.

Whether it's  trapping, calling, running with dogs or whatever, it is a way to enjoy the outdoors, doesn't require an "app"  and is quite rewarding for some while most find it to taxing of a hobby to stick with it and reap what befits are there.

As compared to deer hunting:yes:.  The prices like everything else are based on supply and demand. With Russia's economy being in the toilet the last few years the demand has dropped. They were the main market once "civilized" people quit wearing fur.
 Whether it's  trapping, calling, running with dogs or whatever, it is a way to enjoy the outdoors, doesn't require an "app"  and is quite rewarding for some while most find it to taxing of a hobby to stick with it and reap what befits are there.

I get it and wish I could get into it- having done a few deer hides I couldn’t imagine doing numerous other animals to get the pelts ready for a sale.

My main goal is going to be predator control and personal use,but at $40 a yote i'm going to target them exclusively.I'll use the money to buy more equipment.

For a lot of guys it's more of a passion then a paycheck. I've had my license for over 20 years, But only nuisance trapped with it.I've always dreamed of running long lines.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rachunter said:

For a lot of guys it's more of a passion then a paycheck. I've had my license for over 20 years, But only nuisance trapped with it.I've always dreamed of running long lines.

Running long lines is a BIG commitment. I have never run one but have run a good steady line for two weeks at a time and can tell you it is a lot of work (but fun) and exhausting. I personally prefer setting just enough so I can check and maintain them on a daily bases. I have found that the most impacting factor is the weather. Without a stretch of "good" weather the work is endless and can be pretty frustrating to say the least.

If nothing else it gives you an opportunity to enjoy the outdoors and gain more experience. Just try to make it fun:yes: 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, crappyice said:

Didn’t TF make a Chipmunk Jock Strap earlier this season?

It was a thong, not a jock strap. He made it to compete with Pygmy's red squirrel banana hammock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

trapping is turning into a dying conservation tool. trappers can be way more efficient that hunters when it comes to removing fur bearers. it's a lot of work for very little money now it seems. nearly impossible with a day job to do it ethically/legally. probably part of the reason why they're all 50+ yrs old.

good topic. I'm starting to dip my toes into predator hunting. I've always been a "results oriented" hunter. Meaning I need to benefit from the time and effort and mostly that's meat. Too many researches indicate that you're not saving the lives of any deer or turkey, and in some cases cause them to breed more. So I thought furs would be cool, but man after a few youtube videos... the efforts just to flesh seems like a lot. I don't know.

Herkimer Fur Auction     Herkimer, NY

Saturday, February 1, 2020

The Fulton Montgomery Fur Harvesters and the Foothills Trappers Association
will host two Fur Auctions at the Herkimer VFW in Herkimer, NY.
This is the first of two

Doors will open at 6:00 am and the sale starts at 8:00 am.

• Like 1