Hunting Dogs - What's Your Choice

squirrelwhisperer

My Duke is getting old (11 yrs). I can't help it...I'm a dog person and have trouble thinking of my life without one. I was considering a hunting dog as my next companion. I would like a breed that would appreciate pheasant and rabbit hunts. Require minimal training...its in his blood so to speak because I have no idea how to train a dog to chase a particular type of game. Need him to be a good family/house dog as well. Wife is dead set against a Beagle. Too much noise. Any suggestions? 

My favorite method of hunting is teaming up with a good Dog, Hounds and Setters when specializing but for all around hunting small game I will take my Airedales, have taken tons of game and had a lot of fun over the last 50 plus years.;)

Al

rosie005 (2).jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Not to sound like a jerk, but a well behaved hunting dog that is fun to hunt with and does it's job well requires a LOT of training, at least in the first year or two. Not so much training on how to hunt or prey drive (that's either in the dog's personality/breeding/genes or it isn't), but in basic obedience and attention to commands.

Growing up, my father had beagles, spaniels, and pointers at different times, all would chase rabbits or flush pheasants. Lots of guys I know use labs to hunt pheasants, they don't generally range far and are usually pretty easy to control, not sure how they'd work out for rabbits. Again, not to sound like a jerk, but every dog I ever saw that was high energy (which is what you usually want in a hunting dog) was generally a handful in the house unless they were given a LOT of exercise, and allowed a good run off leash as often as possible.

Good luck!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, airedale said:

My favorite method of hunting is teaming up with a good Dog, Hounds and Setters when specializing but for all around hunting small game I will take my Airedales, have taken tons of game and had a lot of fun over the last 50 plus years.;)

Al

rosie005 (2).jpg

I see this breed in many old time pictures. Do they like to chase rabbit? Are they good at sniffing out pheasant? Hard to train for this purpose? How are they in the house...calm, good w kids, eat the house? Sorry for the bombardment of questions but I only get one shot at making a good choice. 

12 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Not to sound like a jerk, but a well behaved hunting dog that is fun to hunt with and does it's job well requires a LOT of training, at least in the first year or two. Not so much training on how to hunt or prey drive (that's either in the dog's personality/breeding/genes or it isn't), but in basic obedience and attention to commands.

Growing up, my father had beagles, spaniels, and pointers at different times, all would chase rabbits or flush pheasants. Lots of guys I know use labs to hunt pheasants, they don't generally range far and are usually pretty easy to control, not sure how they'd work out for rabbits. Again, not to sound like a jerk, but every dog I ever saw that was high energy (which is what you usually want in a hunting dog) was generally a handful in the house unless they were given a LOT of exercise, and allowed a good run off leash as often as possible.

Good luck!

You don't sound like a jerk. I never had a hunting dog and appreciate the advice. My whole life it was shepherds until i moved out and got a pit. My pits chase everything but sometimes struggle with the idea that its not always a game of tug of war which is def less than ideal with game. They always want to play even when they are old. They just tire quicker. Come, sit, stay, do your business outside, not an issue with me but go find the critters is my challenge. Always thought of labs as duck dogs but very interesting...love that bread. Spaniels and pointers...have to check them out along with the airedales. I personally don't mind a high energy dog...had many pits (they are terriers after all), but the wife is another story.  

looking for a good pet, hunting companion and family friend. have to choose well because i will be living with my decision for over a decade.  

7 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I see this breed in many old time pictures. Do they like to chase rabbit? Are they good at sniffing out pheasant? Hard to train for this purpose? How are they in the house...calm, good w kids, eat the house? Sorry for the bombardment of questions but I only get one shot at making a good choice. 

Uncle Nicky said it pretty well in his post above, all dogs need some training and how much work you invest into your dog will go a long way in how it behaves and handles. With any hunting breed you need to pay attention to how they are bred and make sure they are being hunted and tested by the breeder.

As for Airedales they are probably not for everyone, they are high energy and require a firm hand, but when trained properly they are a wonderful dog. 

I have a blog that covers much about Airedales and hunting and will answer a lot of questions about the breed, if you are interested, the link is posted below.

http://huntingwithairedales.blogspot.com/2010/07/hunting-with-airedales.html

Al

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, airedale said:

Uncle Nicky said it pretty well in his post above, all dogs need some training and how much work you invest into your dog will go a long way in how it behaves and handles. With any hunting breed you need to pay attention to how they are bred and make sure they are being hunted and tested by the breeder.

As for Airedales they are probably not for everyone, they are high energy and require a firm hand, but when trained properly they are a wonderful dog. 

I have a blog that covers much about Airedales and hunting and will answer a lot of questions about the breed, if you are interested, the link is posted below.

http://huntingwithairedales.blogspot.com/2010/07/hunting-with-airedales.html

Al

Thank you. Will def check this out. 

15 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I grew up with Peggy- the English Setter. Known at that time-- 1974 and on to be the Best Pheasant Hunting Dog around these parts. I took probably 300+ Pheasants that she Kicked up.       But my Heart is with the Black Lab. Big Ben was a Great Pheasant dog as well and would bust on through the Toughest Briar Patch to Flush up a Pheasant. Ben also Flushed up Turkey Flocks. Took some Wild Turkeys ( on the wing) after a Turkey Scatter by Ben. These days, I take my Sister's Flat coated Black Lab-- ABBEY Pheasant hunting.   I much prefer Flushers over APointing Breed.

I have known many labs and they were all very cool dogs. The only one that I knew that hunted were duck dogs the others were all fat lol. They are def "house friendly" lol 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

You don't sound like a jerk. I never had a hunting dog and appreciate the advice. My whole life it was shepherds until i moved out and got a pit. My pits chase everything but sometimes struggle with the idea that its not always a game of tug of war which is def less than ideal with game. They always want to play even when they are old. They just tire quicker. Come, sit, stay, do your business outside, not an issue with me but go find the critters is my challenge. Always thought of labs as duck dogs but very interesting...love that bread. Spaniels and pointers...have to check them out along with the airedales. I personally don't mind a high energy dog...had many pits (they are terriers after all), but the wife is another story.  

looking for a good pet, hunting companion and family friend. have to choose well because i will be living with my decision for over a decade.  

Cool, I volunteer my time with a pointer rescue organization, it's amazing how many people go into this blind without knowing what they are getting into. And how many realize that their bird finding machine that they enjoy for 4 months a year becomes an anxious, depressed, disruptive family member for the remaining 8 months of the year when they aren't exercised or stimulated properly. But sounds like you know what is ahead of you. :)

Personally, without knowing anything about you other than what you've posted here, sounds like a lab or springer or Boykin spaniel is what you're looking for. A beagle would also be a good choice, but sounds like that's not an option. Feists and smaller curs are USUALLY good in the house as well, and will chase just about anything that moves if you let them, but treeing squirrels is their strong suit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lab would be a good all around choice, especially for the in home and behavior with kids, etc.

I’ve had two Brittanies and love them both as hunting dogs and as dogs with kids.  They are medium size, very friendly and easily trainable.  They are high energy and will need a lot of activity.  They have great noses in the field and will retrieve, although retrieving is not their strong suit.  Usually they just lay down next to what ever you shot.  My dog is past his hunting days, but I would seriously consider getting another one at some point.  

PS:  GSP is German Shorthair Pointer     

Edited by Otto
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Otto said:

A lab would be a good all around choice, especially for the in home and behavior with kids, etc.

I’ve had two Brittanies and love them both as hunting dogs and as dogs with kids.  They are medium size, very friendly and easily trainable.  They are high energy and will need a lot of activity.  They have great noses in the field and will retrieve, although retrieving is not their strong suit.  Usually they just lay down next to what ever you shot.  My dog is past his hunting days, but I would seriously consider getting another one at some point.  

PS:  GSP is German Shorthair Pointer     

My pheasant partner has a brittany. Lots of energy but doesn't understand he is supposed to find the birds when afield. He is still young and we hope he just gets it one day. Neither one of us are hunting trainers. I need to learn this skill for sure. maybe by my third one I'll figure it out lol

12 minutes ago, left field said:

Agree with the idea that this will take more training than you think.

Describe your ideal dog in terms of size (med or large) and coat (short, long, wire, and how much maintenance you want to do), and an honest assessment of whether you and your family can handle a strong working dog.

Hmmm...size doesn't matter...at least not here lol. Less hair, more specifically less shedding is preferred or I would have another shepherd. I work 8-10 hours a day 5 days a week and he would be home at that time. I am far more comfortable with an energetic dog that the mrs. I have no problem devoting the time I do have to my dog, just don't have an overabundance of it. 

Just now, squirrelwhisperer said:

My pheasant partner has a brittany. Lots of energy but doesn't understand he is supposed to find the birds when afield. He is still young and we hope he just gets it one day. Neither one of us are hunting trainers. I need to learn this skill for sure. maybe by my third one I'll figure it out lol

There are a lot of good videos & books out there on training, and even 1 or 2 sessions with a good trainer will cut the learning curve. Introducing the dog to birds as soon as possible and letting him know they are what you are heading out to the woods for is a big part of it. Play catch or hide seek with a dead bird or drag a dead bird around the yard on a fishing line & praise the dog when he grabs it. Let him chew one or two and get the smell/taste of a real pheasant in it's mouth. Some dogs have the prey drive, some are half-way aggressive, and others just become house pets; even in the best breedings there are duds in a litter. But a good breeder will let you return the dog if it isn't cut out for hunting (provided the family doesn't get attached, LOL).

• Like 2

The problem is that there are a lot of good breeds out there. 

The Brittany can do it all.

The Airedale is an excellent choice if you want a rough dog that can also act a deterrent. 

The Wirehaired Pointing Griffon is another all rounder that can be easy to live with.

I knew a guy who used Basenjis to hunt rabbits and another who used a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever for pheasants. 

I have another friend with a WH Vizsla out of Austria that he loves. 

Maybe list five breeds that you admire and the folks with experience can advise. 

The problem is that there are a lot of good breeds out there. 
The Brittany can do it all.
The Airedale is an excellent choice if you want a rough dog that can also act a deterrent. 
The Wirehaired Pointing Griffon is another all rounder that can be easy to live with.
I knew a guy who used Basenjis to hunt rabbits and another who used a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever for pheasants. 
I have another friend with a WH Vizsla out of Austria that he loves. 
Maybe list five breeds that you admire and the folks with experience can advise. 

Not only was I looking for some advice but thought it was a good topic for a thread in general.
Because there are so many choices, I was looking for what most fellas have and what each breed does best.
For me, want a dog for pheasant, rabbit, buddy for the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only had one dog besides the little piss ants from childhood that I don’t claim as “mine.” Trico was a Brittany and must say (with some serious prejudice) that he was the best family dog that also hunted his ass off on the weekends.
Trico was my first dog so I never trained a dog to be a pet or hunt. However with a bunch of reading, asking questions and time, I did all the training myself. For the hunting training I relied on NAVHDA for my support and guidance- chapters are located throughout the state.
Trico also came from really strong lines which deserves more credit than what I did with him. He was awesome IN SPITE OF ME!!!

Putting him down in August sucked.

15 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I only had one dog besides the little piss ants from childhood that I don’t claim as “mine.” Trico was a Brittany and must say (with some serious prejudice) that he was the best family dog that also hunted his ass off on the weekends.
Trico was my first dog so I never trained a dog to be a pet or hunt. However with a bunch of reading, asking questions and time, I did all the training myself. For the hunting training I relied on NAVHDA for my support and guidance- chapters are located throughout the state.
Trico also came from really strong lines which deserves more credit than what I did with him. He was awesome IN SPITE OF ME!!!

Putting him down in August sucked.

Sorry for your loss. Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, left field said:

As I said earlier, the Brittany can do it all.

Don't overlook the Standard Poodle as a tractable hard hunter that's easy to live with and non shedding.  

A poodle...really? That's awesome! My sister had a small version, Rusty. Loved that dog!! Standard is the big one, right?