FEEDING DEER IS ILLEGAL

BizCT

I guarantee that MOST PEOPLE (including the majority of hunters-remember many are just opening day warriors) think it is ok feed deer outside of the season. The general public definitely doesn’t know it’s illegal especially if they see a bag at Dicks that says Deer food!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7197.html

NYS Codes, Rules and Regulations Part 186 further prohibits all intentional feeding of wild deer or moose except for several specific circumstances. Incidental feeding such as attraction of deer or moose to a birdfeeder will only be considered a violation if DEC has previously issued a written warning to the person responsible.

Exceptions to the feeding prohibition include:

• DEC issued research license, management permit, or 4-Poster TickicideTM license;
  • planting, cultivating, or harvesting of vegetation associated with normal agricultural or horticultural practices;
  • planting, cultivating, or harvesting plants to enhance wildlife habitat conditions;
  • distribution of food material for livestock directly associated with livestock husbandry;
  • distribution of food material for legally possessed captive animals of the family Cervidae where measures are in place to eliminate the availability of food material to deer or moose; and
  • cutting of trees or brush.

This will be label that must be affixed to all food > https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/deerfeedlabel.pdf

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7197.html

NYS Codes, Rules and Regulations Part 186 further prohibits all intentional feeding of wild deer or moose except for several specific circumstances. Incidental feeding such as attraction of deer or moose to a birdfeeder.

This will be label that must be affixed to all food > https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/deerfeedlabel.pdf

Perfect, all I need to do is put a bird feeder next to my stands and pile of corn.

13 minutes ago, mowin said:

Perfect, all I need to do is put a bird feeder next to my stands and pile of corn.

No no no,  put the corn in your bird feeder. There’s no limit on the size of the bird feeder. If it happens to be a 100 lb feeder then so be it . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rob-c said:

No no no,  put the corn in your bird feeder. There’s no limit on the size of the bird feeder. If it happens to be a 100 lb feeder then so be it . 

It clarifies that incidental feeding such as the attraction of deer or moose to a birdfeeder will only be considered a violation if DEC has previously issued a written warning to the person responsible for the incidental feeding. This will allow nuisance situations to be appropriately addressed without limiting bird feeding in general.

7 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Just need to put up a sign that says squirrels and tweety birds only. 

• Like 2

have a question sorta about deer feeding.  If one of the reasons its bad for deer is digestion issues with corn (yes i know there are other stated reasons) then is it bad for the deer to have standing corn all winter?  Never understood this.  The place i hunt in 6S still has a ton of standing corn in the fields and would think that would be good for the deer.  You always hear that its too much for their stomachs to handle in the winter ?  doesnt make sense to me. 

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

have a question sorta about deer feeding.  If one of the reasons its bad for deer is digestion issues with corn (yes i know there are other stated reasons) then is it bad for the deer to have standing corn all winter?  Never understood this.  The place i hunt in 6S still has a ton of standing corn in the fields and would think that would be good for the deer.  You always hear that its too much for their stomachs to handle in the winter ?  doesnt make sense to me. 

I believe if the deer are used to eating corn, no issues. It's when a new food is introduced, especially in cold weather, where there's a issue. Deer can't get used to the feed, and get nothing beneficial from it.

• Like 2

Mowin beat me to it... In theory the bacteria in a deer's stomach would struggle to break down a large amount of new, unfamiliar food (massive pile of corn dropped in the middle of the deep woods).  If a resident deer's digestive system is used to standing corn they would not encounter this issue.  That being said... we all know how tough deer are.  I have trouble believing that a deer capable of being shot and surviving would fall victim to "corn starvation", but hey ya never know.   

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Mowin beat me to it... In theory the bacteria in a deer's stomach would struggle to break down a large amount of new, unfamiliar food (massive pile of corn dropped in the middle of the deep woods).  If a resident deer's digestive system is used to standing corn they would not encounter this issue.  That being said... we all know how tough deer are.  I have trouble believing that a deer capable of being shot and surviving would fall victim to "corn starvation", but hey ya never know.   

exactly my thought. I wouldnt last a night in the woods but if deer eat a belly full of corn they die? But a chickadee wont?  so when the corn grows in the summer and they start eating it why is that different?  Also so if someone feeds them constantly with corn it also wouldnt matter.   Just had some doubts on the science of it.  Dont feed deer or intend to but where i hunt there are acres of corn they never cut and i am pretty happy about it.  Easy winter so far and food to boot. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, johnplav said:

a year or two ago there was a woman in western NY that got ticketed for that very thing. killed more than a few. 

• Like 1

"The problem is that deer digestion is a finely tuned physiological process. Just the right combination of microorganisms, enzymes, and pH enable deer to digest a normal winter diet of woody vegetation. When offered a sudden supply of corn, a deer’s digestive system doesn’t have time to adjust to a high carbohydrate diet. The result can be acute acidosis followed by death within 72 hours.

At the time of death these individuals can appear normal and well fed. It’s just that they cannot digest the corn. Within six hours, corn alters the environment in the rumen. It turns the rumen acidic and destroys the microbes needed for normal digestion.

Not all deer die immediately from acidosis. Its effects vary with the age and health of the individual. Some may simply slow down, get clumsy, and become easy prey to speeding traffic and hungry coyotes.

It takes deer two to four weeks of feeding on a new food source to establish populations of microbes necessary to digest the new food. It can’t happen in just a few days during a snowstorm. And healthy individuals that might survive in the short term often succumb to complications weeks later"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

"The problem is that deer digestion is a finely tuned physiological process. Just the right combination of microorganisms, enzymes, and pH enable deer to digest a normal winter diet of woody vegetation. When offered a sudden supply of corn, a deer’s digestive system doesn’t have time to adjust to a high carbohydrate diet. The result can be acute acidosis followed by death within 72 hours.

At the time of death these individuals can appear normal and well fed. It’s just that they cannot digest the corn. Within six hours, corn alters the environment in the rumen. It turns the rumen acidic and destroys the microbes needed for normal digestion.

Not all deer die immediately from acidosis. Its effects vary with the age and health of the individual. Some may simply slow down, get clumsy, and become easy prey to speeding traffic and hungry coyotes.

It takes deer two to four weeks of feeding on a new food source to establish populations of microbes necessary to digest the new food. It can’t happen in just a few days during a snowstorm. And healthy individuals that might survive in the short term often succumb to complications weeks later"

wouldnt this same effect happen in the spring then when crops are now avail? 

5 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

This is a phenomenon that can happen, but it is not a guarantee.

It is more of an issue in winter when there may not be any other food sources around.

In the Spring there should be other options, and deer tend to instinctively vary their diet when possible. 

• Like 2

I'm all in favor of feeding deer in winter. It is perfectly legal to cut trees. I've been downing next year's firewood and thinning some young stands of hardwood. I've also piled up cull Douglas fir and dropped some large scotch pine.  They're feeding on my balsam Christmas trees anyway. Anything I give them as an alternative means less damage.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

No, because it happens gradually.  To over simplify, deer have a summer diet and a winter diet and "summer" and "winter" bacteria to digest these diets.  They eat stuff all summer/fall like grass, leaves, corn, apples until they run out.  Then they switch to woody browse and the bacteria changes over.  Once this happens they can't just go back to eating grass and corn.  In the spring, things green up and the deer slowly switch back over to a green diet.  You can kill a starving deer in the middle of winter by feeding it corn or hay.  

Standing corn wouldn't hurt them because the bacteria would stay present in their stomach as long as it was available.  

Bans on feeding make sense to me, mostly because people can't be trusted to feed the deer continually.

In Maine you can get a permit to feed deer, but it has to be approved by the state.  They also require that you continue feeding the deer until May.  You can see one of these sites on the Youtube.  Look up Brownville Food Pantry for Deer.

• Like 7