FEEDING DEER IS ILLEGAL

BizCT

What the hell is the difference between corn and deer corn? About two weeks ago me and my brother where walking around in a non-hunting area and came across a deer feeder and some kind of gel.The bag said "deer corn" on it My brother[doesn't hunt] said what the hell is deer corn.When I called the Dec I got a bunch of crap why it was there,It made me laugh when I got that email.

MYOB for now on.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

Feeding deer is illegal...unless your local government says it’s ok and tells you to shoot every deer you see over corn in February and March. True story. 

I was on a few nuisance permits where you where aloud to use ten pounds of bait per day.

• Like 1

Always felt this was simply a "knee-jerk" reaction by NYS DEC to the CWD issue and not justified or restricted as being cloaked under a "negative benefits" veil.

This is Exactly what it is. So let me ask. They put out 100's of pounds of corn in dead of winter to snipe deer for culling, Do you think they kill every deer that fills their belly everyday when the snipers are not there? Would this not just kill all of those deer also that were not shot? That bullshit of deer not breaking down corn all winter Is just that. Their stomachs do not change that fast. The only place they have found deer issues and corn is in the big woods where the deer never see corn at all during the year. As far as the labeling of deer stuff.... Don't think for a second that they won't come up with another gimmick. Just put a picture of a cow and a goat next to the deer and boom...Problem Solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

As far as the labeling of deer stuff.... Don't think for a second that they won't come up with another gimmick. Just put a picture of a cow and a goat next to the deer and boom...Problem Solved.

Why the heck would someone pay premium prices for corn in fancy packaging in a sporting goods store? Go to a feed store for your corn. You'll save a bundle but it won't say "deer" on it.  Or, better yet, buy it from a local farmer. Cut out several middle men. 

• Like 3

Why the heck would someone pay premium prices for corn in fancy packaging in a sporting goods store? Go to a feed store for your corn. You'll save a bundle but it won't say "deer" on it.  Or, better yet, buy it from a local farmer. Cut out several middle men. 

True That. Same as the Clover seed sitting in a bag with a big buck on it..... Again showing what "Trophy Animals" mean in today's hunting. Also money is really not a thing to the guy walking around in a hunting store with most items being high dollar purchases. Couple extra dollars on a bag of corn won't make them blink. It's such a high dollar market they will find ways around NY's stupidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, rob-c said:

Yep that will put a end to guys buying and using it :rolleyes:

You know, I get your point, but I think you'd be surprised or maybe not at the amount of ignorance there is out there. We're a very small group of the overall ny hunting population here and represent a group that is passionate and generally well versed. Many guys out there dont have the background or knowledge. It's not an excuse for sure, but it's reality.

As much as I hate the nanny state, this is one that I chalk up to "it can't hurt". And if it's the manufacturers getting their panties in a bunch because of having to reprint labels and what not, well tough shit, we're not supposed to be buying your shit anyhow, even if it is legal to sell. 

• Like 3

Just now, johnplav said:

NY collects taxes on all the corn that is sold... they don't want sales to stop. 

This label rule is being thrown out there to avoid dealing with the issue.  

it's not that simple anyhow. Nothing would ever prohibit the sale of corn for cattle and farm. Package and call it what you want. the marketing is just that, marketing. If you wanted to buy corn you could even if the bag said cow corn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

it's not that simple anyhow. Nothing would ever prohibit the sale of corn for cattle and farm. Package and call it what you want. the marketing is just that, marketing. If you wanted to buy corn you could even if the bag said cow corn.

Correct.  And deer corn is not a big enough issue for the state to actually solve it with legislation. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Belo said:

You know, I get your point, but I think you'd be surprised or maybe not at the amount of ignorance there is out there. We're a very small group of the overall ny hunting population here and represent a group that is passionate and generally well versed. Many guys out there dont have the background or knowledge. It's not an excuse for sure, but it's reality.

As much as I hate the nanny state, this is one that I chalk up to "it can't hurt". And if it's the manufacturers getting their panties in a bunch because of having to reprint labels and what not, well tough shit, we're not supposed to be buying your shit anyhow, even if it is legal to sell. 

I am sure there are hunters that are ignorant about the laws. But to me it all comes down to being lazy. Too lazy to read and understand the laws, to lazy to go out and spend the time to harvest a deer the proper way. Now don’t get me wrong if it’s legal to bait , run deer with dogs in your state, then have at it it’s legal. We all don’t have to agree with the laws and I don’t , but we do need to follow them or use ones vote to change them. 

• Like 1