FEEDING DEER IS ILLEGAL

BizCT

57 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Correct.  And deer corn is not a big enough issue for the state to actually solve it with legislation. 

baiting was legal when I was downsouth within a certain distance of the stand and some other things. I didn't want to bait and went a year not doing it. Had a rough start to my second year there and bought some attractant stuff. Never having baited or used anything other than doe pee, i figured the deer would be jumping out of the trees and soon learned that baiting isn't this magic solution to improve your deer sighting. I'm not pro baiting and would be super pissed if my neighbor was doing it... but it's also maybe not the cure all some think it is. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, rob-c said:

I am sure there are hunters that are ignorant about the laws. But to me it all comes down to being lazy. Too lazy to read and understand the laws, to lazy to go out and spend the time to harvest a deer the proper way. Now don’t get me wrong if it’s legal to bait , run deer with dogs in your state, then have at it it’s legal. We all don’t have to agree with the laws and I don’t , but we do need to follow them or use ones vote to change them. 

I get what you are saying but EVERY year we have conversations on this forum about how to properly use tags in what seasons and what happens with Bow/ML tags. EVERY YEAR. and it isn't a conversation with just newbies and the "average guy" is less engaged than most members on here. 

I think the lack of knowledge of the laws really reared it's head when the state got rid of the small regulations guides and started putting out their advertisement publication (when you can even get them). I use to look forward to reading those little hunting and fishing books cover to cover.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I get what you are saying but EVERY year we have conversations on this forum about how to properly use tags in what seasons and what happens with Bow/ML tags. EVERY YEAR. and it isn't a conversation with just newbies and the "average guy" is less engaged than most members on here. 

I think the lack of knowledge of the laws really reared it's head when the state got rid of the small regulations guides and started putting out their advertisement publication (when you can even get them). I use to look forward to reading those little hunting and fishing books cover to cover.  

I also think that humanity just can't read or comprehend anything that's longer than a short paragraph anymore.   Reading a tweet or a short text message on their cell phones is about all they can handle.  The (mostly negative in my opinion) impact that smart phones have had on the human species is mind boggling.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

agree. and if we were all to remove our passion from the conversation, the state has major budget and criminal law issues. Spending time on sunrise and sunset laws just isn't a big priority for them. We're not Montana, Alaska, Colorado etc where big game hunting is a significant contribution to our economy. Heck, the fact that we can even still hunt black bears is kind of shocking in this blue state. 

They're not looking to spend time on reform and enforcement of game laws as evident with the small amount of ECOs we have per unit.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I also think that humanity just can't read or comprehend anything that's longer than a short paragraph anymore.   Reading a tweet or a short text message on their cell phones is about all they can handle.  The (mostly negative in my opinion) impact that smart phones have had on the human species is mind boggling.

You lost me after a short paragraph ^_^

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I thought I read someone say in a thread somewhere on this forum that feeding was LEGAL in Sullivan county when deer season is closed?  I don't see any exceptions made for Sullivan county in this DEC regulation and sort of doubt there ever really was an exception. 

There was a case in Sullivan county and the judge sided with the defendant. The result is they will not prosecute these cases in the county as the judge will not convict. There is no state regulation saying it’s ok.

Maybe @moog can clarify what this is called legally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Chef said:

There was a case in Sullivan county and the judge sided with the defendant. The result is they will not prosecute these cases in the county as the judge will not convict. There is no state regulation saying it’s ok.

senate Bill S1927   2017-2018 Legislative Session

Moratorium on the prohibition of feeding white-tailed deer in Sullivan county

SUMMARY OF PROVISION :

This bill amends environmental conservation law to impose a moratorium
on the prohibition of feeding white-tailed deer. The moratorium shall
continue in existence until January 1, 2024 or until the legislature
determines, through legislative action, that the white-tailed deer
population in Sullivan County has increased in such an amount as to
warrant the removal of such moratorium prior to January 1,

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2017/s1927

Assembly Actions - Lowercase
Senate Actions - UPPERCASE
Jun 07, 2018 referred to environmental conservation
delivered to assembly
passed senate
Jun 06, 2018 ordered to third reading cal.1536
Jun 05, 2018 committee discharged and committed to rules
Jan 03, 2018 referred to environmental conservation
Jan 11, 2017 referred to environmental conservation
Edited by Steve D

senate Bill S1927   2017-2018 Legislative Session
Moratorium on the prohibition of feeding white-tailed deer in Sullivan county
SUMMARY OF PROVISION :

This bill amends environmental conservation law to impose a moratorium
on the prohibition of feeding white-tailed deer. The moratorium shall
continue in existence until January 1, 2024 or until the legislature
determines, through legislative action, that the white-tailed deer
population in Sullivan County has increased in such an amount as to
warrant the removal of such moratorium prior to January 1,
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2017/s1927
Assembly Actions - Lowercase
Senate Actions - UPPERCASE
Jun 07, 2018 referred to environmental conservation
delivered to assembly
passed senate
Jun 06, 2018 ordered to third reading cal.1536
Jun 05, 2018 committee discharged and committed to rules
Jan 03, 2018 referred to environmental conservation
Jan 11, 2017 referred to environmental conservation

Wow so it is actually legal under state law

Wow so it is actually legal under state law

Yeah. So they say feeding deer is bad for them but yet in this county they feed them to increase their numbers? And yet they say it's a disease issue but they allow the feeding? After all, They only need to use the disease farce to stop the feeding in county. More true colors shown on the issue of feeding hurting the herd and spreading disease. They only use that crap when it works out for them.

I would also like to know about the DEC ruling regarding Sullivan county since I hunt at times in 3K and 3H. Especially in rough winters I prefer to help the deer , turkeys, etc, during these rough times .

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Yeah. So they say feeding deer is bad for them but yet in this county they feed them to increase their numbers? And yet they say it's a disease issue but they allow the feeding? After all, They only need to use the disease farce to stop the feeding in county. More true colors shown on the issue of feeding hurting the herd and spreading disease. They only use that crap when it works out for them.

I'm not sure who or if anyone said that, but I do know that NY is still CWD free, and not baiting isn't hurting that cause. Not to mention, it's not very sporting. We have enough issues with anti's, for them to know we were dumping corn for poor starving deer to come eat just to shoot them wouldn't help our cause. 

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

I'm not sure who or if anyone said that, but I do know that NY is still CWD free, and not baiting isn't hurting that cause. Not to mention, it's not very sporting. We have enough issues with anti's, for them to know we were dumping corn for poor starving deer to come eat just to shoot them wouldn't help our cause. 

But it is kind of weird that in some of the more liberal states it is legal in full or part. CT has areas that it is dump the corn and hunt right over it. 

• Like 1