FEEDING DEER IS ILLEGAL

BizCT

Just now, Culvercreek hunt club said:

But it is kind of weird that in some of the more liberal states it is legal in full or part. CT has areas that it is dump the corn and hunt right over it. 

tradition i think. it's why a lot of southern states still allow running them with dogs, eventhough many are against it.

I'm not sure who or if anyone said that, but I do know that NY is still CWD free, and not baiting isn't hurting that cause. Not to mention, it's not very sporting. We have enough issues with anti's, for them to know we were dumping corn for poor starving deer to come eat just to shoot them wouldn't help our cause. 

Who said it? Read above and also listen to the DEC? They feed them corn to attract them to kill them, Do you think they kill every deer that hits that corn? They let them feed in that one county to raise the population? Thought that was a bad thing for whitetails? They pick and choose what's good for them at the time. Don't fool yourself on the CWD thing. We have it in this state without a doubt. When they test 0000.1% of the herd they are looking for nothing. We test like 2000 a year, Tennessee tested 14.000 this year. They do not want to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Just now, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Who said it? Read above and also listen to the DEC? They feed them corn to attract them to kill them, Do you think they kill every deer that hits that corn? They let them feed in that one county to raise the population? Thought that was a bad thing for whitetails? They pick and choose what's good for them at the time. Don't fool yourself on the CWD thing. We have it in this state without a doubt. When they test 0000.1% of the herd they are looking for nothing. We test like 2000 a year, Tennessee tested 14.000 this year. They do not want to find it.

you said they say its beneficial to feed them, that was what I was pushing back against. 

14 hours ago, Chef said:

There was a case in Sullivan county and the judge sided with the defendant. The result is they will not prosecute these cases in the county as the judge will not convict. There is no state regulation saying it’s ok.

Maybe @moog can clarify what this is called legally

I don't understand how a judges ruling in one county can supersede a statewide conservation law.  I did some googling on this and it looks like Judge Frank LaBuda made this decision in 2012 and the decision had little to do with conservation law.  His decision was that prohibiting the feeding of deer was a violation of the first amendment right to freedom of expression.  Maybe someone can enlighten us what that has to do with deer biology but I don't think I am even going to try to figure that one out for myself!   https://law.justia.com/cases/new-york/other-courts/2012/2012-ny-slip-op-22243.html

An additional interesting fact was that this judges wife Kathleen LaBuda http://www.scdemocratonline.com/archives/2003/news/10October/21/district2.html was in attendance at a banquet of the Sullivan County Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs as early as 2007 http://sc-democrat.com/sports/10October/05/sports.htm   Judge LaBuda himself has appeared at their banquets, too, be it that the appearances were after his 2012 court ruling from what I can find online(see below).  You can make judgements for yourselves here, but to me this all looks a bit fishy.  I also vividly recall that several so called "sportsman" clubs in the Catskill region had way too much influence in the decision to have the Catskill region go to antler restrictions, so it just makes me even more suspicious about these type of rulings in one specific part of the state.

Screen Shot 2M.png

Screen Shot 1M.png

9 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I don't understand how a judges ruling in one county can supersede a statewide conservation law.  I did some googling on this and it looks like Judge Frank LaBuda made this decision in 2012 and the decision had little to do with conservation law.  His decision was that prohibiting the feeding of deer was a violation of the first amendment right to freedom of expression.  Maybe someone can enlighten us what that has to do with deer biology but I don't think I am even going to try to figure that one out for myself!   https://law.justia.com/cases/new-york/other-courts/2012/2012-ny-slip-op-22243.html

An additional interesting fact was that this judges wife Kathleen LaBuda http://www.scdemocratonline.com/archives/2003/news/10October/21/district2.html was in attendance at a banquet of the Sullivan County Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs as early as 2007 http://sc-democrat.com/sports/10October/05/sports.htm   Judge LaBuda himself has appeared at their banquets, too, be it that the appearances were after his 2012 court ruling from what I can find online(see below).  You can make judgements for yourselves here, but to me this all looks a bit fishy.  I also vividly recall that several so called "sportsman" clubs in the Catskill region had way too much influence in the decision to have the Catskill region go to antler restrictions, so it just makes me even more suspicious about these type of rulings in one specific part of the state.

Screen Shot 2M.png

Screen Shot 1M.png

Same goes for the DEC officers in 2 different events we held.. They wer eboth asked a question at the end when they opened themselves up for questions.. If feeding was legal or not... both officers from different regions said it is LEGAL to feed deer, outside of 300' of any road and not within a deer season.. 

How do you explain that!?!?! one was a 20 yr veteran , the other only a few years under his belt.. Two different Counties (Alegheny and Steuben officers.. both said the exact same thing... wierd huh?? 

0000.1% is still 1/10th of 1% I think you may have placed your decimal point in the wrong spot

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

0000.1% is still 1/10th of 1% I think you may have placed your decimal point in the wrong spot

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Lol. Ya I'm sure your right. I don't even know the number of hunter kills let alone road kills. But with like 2000 tested out of all hunter and road kills it shows they are not in a big hurry to find anything.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chef said:

Wow so it is actually legal under state law

It appears it never got passed by the assembly and forwarded to King Andy to sign. Looks like it got kicked back to the DEC:

Assembly Actions - Lowercase
Senate Actions - UPPERCASE
Jun 07, 2018 referred to environmental conservation
delivered to assembly
passed senate
Jun 06, 2018 ordered to third reading cal.1536
Jun 05, 2018 committee discharged and committed to rules
Jan 03, 2018 referred to environmental conservation

Screenshot (26).jpg

These guys are all the same...it comes down to whatever suites their purpose. I live near an "estate" that has certain historical significance. It is 620 some odd acres of you can't go in there, mostly wooded too. Def not open for hunting, yet I hear guns fired in there all season (bow season) and then see Park Rangers driving away with MONSTER bucks in their truck.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

These guys are all the same...it comes down to whatever suites their purpose. I live near an "estate" that has certain historical significance. It is 620 some odd acres of you can't go in there, mostly wooded too. Def not open for hunting, yet I hear guns fired in there all season (bow season) and then see Park Rangers driving away with MONSTER bucks in their truck.

I used to hunt not far from there years ago on private property. Didn’t they have the USDA do a cull on that estate last year.

Interesting video, but does it need strictly Jif PB and a cig hanging out of my mouth to be a 100% effective bait mix...?:rolleyes:

IRC, the actual defendants in that Sullivan Co court ruling were not hunters. They were feeding deer for their own pursuit of happiness and possibly other constitutional rights. Which is what the judge considered in his ruling. This is why it baffles me as to how this ruling wasn't considered state wide...!?!

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Too bad you did not snap a photo or two.Park Rangers taking Monster Bucks. Something does not add up. Perhaps only the Park Rangers are allowed to hunt there.

They keep all hunters out of there and secretly hunt there themselves. If they opened up this area, even as a lottery, it would be unbelievable. I have nice bucks and turkey in front of my house all the time because of this place. Just can't harvest any without breaking all kinds of law. Apparently only the ones with badges can break the law. 

24 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

If they did, it wasn't effective. 

image.png.7f8df13d84de373fc4b71c3849fe677c.pngMy driveway

image.png.7fab5736298ac387b96e534688077a65.pngacross the street to the right, sry sideways

image.png.13bda2102da7e4b58010e59e5096e9c1.pngNeighbors yard, sry sideways

image.png.30f7f0529b3eb6b4d1e0028d1a9ce97c.pngdown the block, granted he feeds them 

image.png.83609b01a1488a4581e521081afcee0d.pngacross the street

image.png.de5d58a92c1ac7437c8871b82fba5cd6.pngCoulda kicked them, not that I would but you could walk up to some of them similar to the pigeons in the city

Hit by car at home_LI.jpgMy friend Chris found this guy. Hit by a car 2 doors down form me. 

Edited by squirrelwhisperer

8 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Perhaps writing to your DEC AREA and Address might get the ball rolling for a Lottery Hunt for Deer + Spring Turkey in coming years.Get a good 3 or more other hunters writing in about opening this area to Lottery Hunts will get this Talked about at a Monday- 8am DEC Meeting. Worth a shot. The more hunters writing in-- the better.    I know this works as a small group- myself included saved Hunting in Sterling Forest State Park before this area became State Land in 1999. Palisades Interstate Park Commission- PIPC was going to Ban Hunting in Sterling Forest as they - instead of the DEC were going to manage this Land. I wrote everyone including then Gov Pataki in 1998. Later other large groups came aboard like the - Orange County Federation Of Sportsman's Clubs. The result-- Hunting was saved in Sterling Forest. although the existing Rifle Range was dismantled..    Goosepond Mt. State Park- managed by the PIPC is just one area of a number where hunting Is Not Allowed. 45,000 Acre Harriman State Park is another.  Try ( the Mighty Pen). It works if enough are willing to do the same. Luck--- Bill.

Very good advise. I will def try to convince friends to join me in this (probably wasted) effort. My neighborhood is like a petting zoo. Most EVERYBODY feeds the deer, so saying that is gonna kill them in the winter is BS. My wife feeds them carrots by hand. I could literally hunt them with a hammer if so inclined. They see me walk out and come over thinking I have something for them. 100% fearless. 

7 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

If they did, it wasn't effective. 

Well they only killed 25 deer in the cull last year. Ineffective I’m sure, considering the amount of deer in the area. There are some areas very close by to hunt, if you know where to look. And I guarantee that when you’re in a tree stand in their environment, they will not be so fearless. 

• Like 1

Well they only killed 25 deer in the cull last year. Ineffective I’m sure, considering the amount of deer in the area. There are some areas very close by to hunt, if you know where to look. And I guarantee that when you’re in a tree stand in their environment, they will not be so fearless. 

They are accustomed to ppl in the area. They don’t perceive us as a threat....until you enter the woods. I’ve often said the beat hunting spot I know of is my front steps...just not legal.

They are accustomed to ppl in the area. They don’t perceive us as a threat....until you enter the woods. I’ve often said the beat hunting spot I know of is my front steps...just not legal.

Wonder how many others take advantage of that easy ‘Hunting’ in that area? Lol. Has to be some beasts for sure!

12 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Wonder how many others take advantage of that easy ‘Hunting’ in that area? Lol. Has to be some beasts for sure!

I have known a few "cheaters". Don't associate with them any more. I don't need DEC thinking I'm part of that group if/when they get caught. 

Now, come the zombie apocalypse when no food is available, I will be killing everything in my neighborhood lol. 

4 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I have known a few "cheaters". Don't associate with them any more. I don't need DEC thinking I'm part of that group if/when they get caught. 

Now, come the zombie apocalypse when no food is available, I will be killing everything in my neighborhood lol. 

I use to put plots in for neighbors down the road , told them they were small and wouldn't make it to season, stopped making them when I saw them with truckload of apples late in fall that year.. now they have no plots and no help... 

• Like 2