Hunting Shack Build

mlammerhirt

Was going through some pics and remembered I said I would post what I had pertaining to the Hunting Shack on a trailer frame I build for this past season.

Rather simple concept....we took a 40 1/2" by 48" harbor freight trailer and went from there. I bolted two 4x4's to create the base and spanned those with 2x6's to beef it up if I ever wanted to side it off the trailer and just leave it somewhere. After adding the 2x6's I sheeted the floor and began building from there. The shorter wall is 6' high and the taller wall 7'. The windows are basically 360 degrees around the shack for Max viewing and finished with tinted grey plexiglass mounted to hinged frames that can be pulled open from the inside. Overall it was a very fun project that involved different family members and most importantly my boys who it was built for.

We had a blast sitting in it this season using a buddy heater to take the chill off and most importantly just spending time together afield. Total project was around 600.00 and 1/3 of that was on the tinted plexiglass. That plexiglass is awesome and almost impossible to see inside when they are down.....really hides the movement for my little guys.

6ced3f0a7893c1afa626839e58ed9c9d.jpg8acbf33315d708cadae7ab7197715835.jpgbdde7cc3b06f56ac6fb6e794e195fc4c.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'll keep ya posted.....I am going to talk with an Amish builder who is willing to build basically this same shack for me over the winter months. He has a contract to build sheds for a guy who sends his sheds to PA from spring thru fall.... but is willing to do small jobs in the winter to make a few extra bucks for himself.

5 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

I'll keep ya posted.....I am going to talk with an Amish builder who is willing to build basically this same shack for me over the winter months. He has a contract to build sheds for a guy who sends his sheds to PA from spring thru fall.... but is willing to do small jobs in the winter to make a few extra bucks for himself.

Thanks but I'd show Stormy my hunting spots before Id tell an Amish guy...

• Like 3

Love this family project and am doing something similar in the spring. I'm curious though. It looks like you have the roof angle pitched toward the front. Wouldn't that create water runoff on the same side that you're looking?
Since I am no professional thats the way this design ended up lol......the shack was build to be hunted out of all aides so one side would have to get the runoff with this basic design. I overhung the rafters enough I feel to prevent water from dumping inside....and felt like if it was real bad I could add a plastic gutter and dump the water to the side.

• Like 1

That’ll make a nice home for the area mice ! I think I killed 15-20 in my one last year , sealed it up with tin and wood filler and it’s been good since, my other one had one in it yesterday , who was faster then I so he lives to, fight again .

I don’t hunt out of mine much, base camp and bad weather , so maybe two or three times over eight years .

Nice. Can you draw bow in it without elbow hitting?
Ps love the adjustable shower chair
Only when shooting out the door window....or the window opposite of the door. Not wife enough otherwise. This was designed for xbow or gun.

Funny story .....I was out with my 3 year old one afternoon after work and we decided to hunt close to home and forego the shack. Well we hunted the shack that weekend and I had a cam mounted to it facing the direction I could shoot my bow out....sure as heck a real nice main frame 8 passed that shooting widow at 4:30 pm at 6 yards.

• Like 1