Future of rifles and Ammo?

dbHunterNY

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/277-sig-fury-demystified/

Higher performance ammo with guns built to match the demand. Crazy how the Sig Cross rifle is that light with the beefed up receiver and action. Military buy-in will be a huge effect though. Otherwise I have to think there won't be enough produced to make it cheap enough.

Well that’s just cool, to me the biggest take away from the story is the ( mechanical bond ) used to attach the brass to the stainless. So in laments term there’s a epoxy out there that can keep this case together under 80,000 psi. 

The lighter weight compact case is about all I can see this cartridge has going for it and while there may be some kind of an advantage for this cartridge's use in a short barreled belt fed machine gun I do not see anything special for it down the road in the general public shooting-sporting world. The 270 Winchester can easily hit the same 3000fps with a 140 gr bullet and the 270 Win short mag and the 270 Weatherby mag can up that by a couple of hundred fps.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rob-c said:

Well that’s just cool, to me the biggest take away from the story is the ( mechanical bond ) used to attach the brass to the stainless. So in laments term there’s a epoxy out there that can keep this case together under 80,000 psi. 

don't know if it's an epoxy. might be more brazed connection. doesn't seem to be welded.

2 hours ago, airedale said:

The lighter weight compact case is about all I can see this cartridge has going for it and while there may be some kind of an advantage for this cartridge's use in a short barreled belt fed machine gun I do not see anything special for it down the road in the general public shooting-sporting world. The 270 Winchester can easily hit the same 3000fps with a 140 gr bullet and the 270 Win short mag and the 270 Weatherby mag can up that by a couple of hundred fps.

Al

i don't reload but seems like you can burn a whole lot less powder in a smaller case for the same performance. compact gun too with same velocities in a much shorter barrel. 6.5 creedmoor is on fire right now and this would blow it away. with less powder but higher pressure not sure if there's a trade off for less throat erosion over time for some that reload and shoot a lot?  seems like cases weren't mass produced to make it relevant as there wasn't a need or gun for them. Sig now has a reason to put it out there. they're already vested to do so. idk Savage didn't pick the caliber but they apparently see moving forward with it regardless if the military contract is awarded to them.

• Like 1