I suck

Chef

So I went out yesterday just after sunset with a friend at his new property. I get set up start the call and within seconds there is a set of eyes at the other end of the field. The eyes cut across the back of the field towards the down wind side. They hit the down wind edge of the field and quickly turn towards us and head up the field edge at a pretty high rate of speed. At about the 100 yard mark they disappear behind a little burm in the field. After about 10 minutes of them

Not emerging from the burm I shut the call to see if I can get it to move. I have been using rat distress up to this point. I wait about 5 minuets in silence and switch to rabbit distress. Well that was the ticket. He sprints out from behind the burm and heads straight for my caller. He stops I get the crosshairs on him and pull the trigger............ click not boom. Now I know I had rounds in the magazine and know I closed the bolt. I cycled the bolt again and get on him again. He is spooked at this point and ran about 70 yards away. Again click not boom. Finally I stick my finger in the mag well and get a round in the chamber.... he’s at a full sprint now 150 yards away. Boom but no dice he was flying.

Had a blast either way but dam I should have paid more attention.

Gotta look at the internal mag on that rifle in the light today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I use a bolt action rifle and can easily see the first round feeding into the chamber, even in the dark. 

Using a semi-auto in the dark, I like to load the first round directly into the chamber by hand, then install the mag in the rifle.  This way I know I will at least get one shot off if the mag hangs up.  However, this often helps a questionable mag function properly.

I can't say anything about a semi-auto with an internal box mag, having no experience with them.  If I were to use one, I would still prefer to load the first round directly into the chamber while holding the rest down in the mag when closing the bolt.

Edited by Rattler

Bad spring in the mag ? You should be able to see what part of the cycle is failing now that you have light.

I did, not a bad spring or anything. It’s a internal
Box magazine and I guess the angle I put the last round in caused the bolt not to catch the round. It just slide over the top of the casing

Shit happenes

No, you don't suck Chef. Just being out there, and having one come to the calls is a successful hunt in my book! Will make it all that much sweeter too, when ya finally do cap one.

Yeah yeah yeah....sounds like you giving out participation trophies gramps!!!! he sucks!!!
I kid of course!!! Good job chef and wise words as always Grandfather!

• Like 2

Rack that charging handle like a man !

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

If it was a AR we wouldn’t be having this conversation it was a bolt action and the bolt didn’t catch the round