All set up

Chef

49 minutes ago, Belo said:

good explanation and from someone who isn't just tacticool. Thanks for your service. 

Like zeek mentioned, I have always heard weight of ammo was reason military went with 223.  Soldiers can carry twice as much as 308 ammo/mags weigh more than twice 223:

RIFLE     CALIBER       WT. OF LOADED MAG          
M14           .308 Win          1 lb 7 oz. / 20 rounds          
M16           .223 Rem         0 lb 10.5 oz / 20 rounds     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Do you have a pic and how much? Will I get clearance with a 56 mm bell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to measure from base of the rings to the center, i believe thats how the manufacturer will list a measurement. So if you measure your current setup u can shop around for that measurement.

You need to measure from base of the rings to the center, i believe thats how the manufacturer will list a measurement. So if you measure your current setup u can shop around for that measurement.

Do you see any advantage to a one piece mount over what I did?

25 minutes ago, Chef said:

Do you see any advantage to a one piece mount over what I did?

The big reason people use the one piece cantilever mounts on ars it to get the scope far enough forward for proper eye relief and to keep mounts off your rail. 

If yours is locked in good and eye relief is good, then id say ur good. My only worry is obviously you have more screws to worry about coming loose. 

• Like 1

So my question is other than looks does the mount have any advantage over what I did

Looks. Heavier duty since it's one piece. Picatinny on top for fun stuff. Forward mounting for better eye relief.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mine was a cheapo too, and has held up just fine. Don't forget the lock Tite.

It will be here Wednesday. Being lazy ill probably drop it off at the local gun smith and have him mount and bore sight it. I’ll make sure I ask him to
Use lock tight

It will be here Wednesday. Being lazy ill probably drop it off at the local gun smith and have him mount and bore sight it. I’ll make sure I ask him to
Use lock tight

Bring it to my basement. I'll do it for free!

• Like 1

Bring it to my basement. I'll do it for free!

Hahah I appreciate the offer, i think that would cost me more in gas than a trip to the gun smith would... I could do it for sure I just alway feel like they do a better job

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chef said:

Hahah I appreciate the offer, i think that would cost me more in gas than a trip to the gun smith would... I could do it for sure I just alway feel like they do a better job

my dad is the same way, but with a good quality non-harborfreight 1/4" drive torque wrench, a lead sled or gun vice and a bottle of loctite you're good to go for all your future scope mounting needs. Bolt actions are easy to boresite without fancy lasers too, but I also think they make adjustable boresite lasers? Not sure how cheap or effective they are though.

1 hour ago, Belo said:

my dad is the same way, but with a good quality non-harborfreight 1/4" drive torque wrench, a lead sled or gun vice and a bottle of loctite you're good to go for all your future scope mounting needs. Bolt actions are easy to boresite without fancy lasers too, but I also think they make adjustable boresite lasers? Not sure how cheap or effective they are though.

And a leveling kit to keep those crosshairs square. Cheap enough.

I plan on upping my scope mounting game with a lapping kit for my next mount/remount.

The better rings and mounts advise against lapping.  I also like those that have the deralin insert like sako.  Regardless, I level everything and then gradually tighten to specs per ring manufacturer.   Split rings like LaRue require bottom to be fully torqued before top.  With a gun vise or tripod clamp, it’s pretty easy.  

• Like 1