All set up

Chef

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

The better rings and mounts advise against lapping.  I also like those that have the deralin insert like sako.  Regardless, I level everything and then gradually tighten to specs per ring manufacturer.   Split rings like LaRue require bottom to be fully torqued before top.  With a gun vise or tripod clamp, it’s pretty easy.  

yeah I'd like to think with the price I paid for my leupold scope rings that lapping wouldn't be necessary and removing the finish detrimental. I'm obviously pretty ignorant on the subject, but it seems like a process from "back in the day" that was probably needed and became gospel, when in fact modern cnc and machining process make it unnecessary in modern times. 

Edited by Belo

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

yeah I'd like to think with the price I paid for my leupold scope rings that lapping wouldn't be necessary and removing the finish detrimental. I'm obviously pretty ignorant on the subject, but it seems like a process from "back in the day" that was probably needed and became gospel, when in fact modern cnc and machining process make it unnecessary in modern times. 

I have the lapping tools and never use them.   Levels and torque wrench with something to hold rifle - all set.  There are some rifles that’s it impossible to level the gun without a flat feature like my savage 220.  Then I just eyeball it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

But how good is the alignment of two perfect rings when mounted on a dovetail or picatinny? Perfectly aligned rings should never leave marks on a scope either. I'm being kind of fussy, but am an ex Toolmaker/Machinist, so it's a learned thing. Being more than .0005 out of parallel bothers me from a precision standpoint. 

I've also never done it, so I'd like that to be my next step up.

Belo, I'll watch that video tonight.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I have the lapping tools and never use them.   Levels and torque wrench with something to hold rifle - all set.  There are some rifles that’s it impossible to level the gun without a flat feature like my savage 220.  Then I just eyeball it. 

Any flat features on the side? A 90 degree square would get you that level surface. But yeah, I have a rimfire that has really no flat features anywhere.

17 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Any flat features on the side? A 90 degree square would get you that level surface. But yeah, I have a rimfire that has really no flat features anywhere.

Not really.  I spent a long time trying to find something and gave up.  

you are welcome to borrow my lapping tools to try that if you like.  All of my picatinny mounts are one piece so the squat ness of the rail doesn’t impact ring to ring alignment.   Most are LaRue and they specifically tell you not to Lapp. 

• Like 1

This will work with the 56mm hog hunter and you can mount light on top of rings
375E797A-7ACA-4C63-8D35-BD5311DEACCB.thumb.png.87e748090ec5c3f54dc80081416995a3.png

So thanks for the suggestion I used it, crazy question what light mount are you using, I’m now having a issue getting the light to clear the bell, I may just add a riser to that small section of rail but I’m curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Chef said:

So thanks for the suggestion I used it, crazy question what light mount are you using, I’m now having a issue getting the light to clear the bell, I may just add a riser to that small section of rail but I’m curious

My wicked lights come with a mount but I am 99% sure that it works with those rings.  Did you try clamping to tear ring so front of light is just behind bell?

My wicked lights come with a mount but I am 99% sure that it works with those rings.  Did you try clamping to tear ring so front of light is just behind bell?

I did not, I have the same wicked mount as you, my issue is when I adjust the light down to get it in the scope it hits the bell, I’ll probably just have to use the light less zoomed in and I’ll be fine

1 minute ago, Chef said:

I did not, I have the same wicked mount as you, my issue is when I adjust the light down to get it in the scope it hits the bell, I’ll probably just have to use the light less zoomed in and I’ll be fine

Adjust it so the light sits slightly behind bell.   I will take a pic later of mine.  

It is a QD Mount.  No idea if it’s a new version.  Purchased kit last year. 

Yea the old ones aren’t QD, I put it on the back ring and as far back on the rail as I could still get it to clamp and it worked

56ad2260ea141c95a4e8d9d1e43c425e.jpg

Ur the man

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

Yea the old ones aren’t QD, I put it on the back ring and as far back on the rail as I could still get it to clamp and it worked

56ad2260ea141c95a4e8d9d1e43c425e.jpg

Ur the man

Those dogs best keep their eyes closed with you around!

• Like 1