Investment year in review.

Nomad

Couldn’t find the old stock market thread , so it was a vary good year, any outstanding moves or returns made this year ?

Ourselves ,funds returned pretty much the index, of the 16 individual stocks  I own a cumulative return of 28% with 13 winners and 3 losers , 2 of those I cut loose, kept T2 Biosystems as they have a promising sepsis treatment that I’m hoping gains traction . Biggest winner was also my largest holding, Booz Allen Hamilton with a TSR of 52% last year . 

About my best move involved the kids, like most just starting out in their careers, they only put enough in their 401’s to get the company match, so we gave each a check, with the stipulation that they increase their contribution by xxx per month, then dip into the “ check” if they end up short on living expenses in a given month . As I figured they never had to draw on the money, and they caught a nice almost 30% return over the year . May be why they gave us really nice presents last Christmas, we underwrote them.....

Here’s to 2,020 !

• Like 6

It was a great year for sure. Smart move on the 401K.

I got 30-31% for the year in 401K.

Besides that I did great with VOO, QQQ, and VYM ETF’s. I’m not allowed to individual stocks so I have to use ETF’s.

It’s great when your money is making you money everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/19/2020 at 11:32 AM, Nomad said:

Couldn’t find the old stock market thread , so it was a vary good year, any outstanding moves or returns made this year ?

Ourselves ,funds returned pretty much the index, of the 16 individual stocks  I own a cumulative return of 28% with 13 winners and 3 losers , 2 of those I cut loose, kept T2 Biosystems as they have a promising sepsis treatment that I’m hoping gains traction . Biggest winner was also my largest holding, Booz Allen Hamilton with a TSR of 52% last year . 

About my best move involved the kids, like most just starting out in their careers, they only put enough in their 401’s to get the company match, so we gave each a check, with the stipulation that they increase their contribution by xxx per month, then dip into the “ check” if they end up short on living expenses in a given month . As I figured they never had to draw on the money, and they caught a nice almost 30% return over the year . May be why they gave us really nice presents last Christmas, we underwrote them.....

Here’s to 2,020 !

you mean you didn't take papist's advice and liquidate everything and buy canned goods? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I see the market staying like this until election time . I may even up my contribution from 14% to 16% .

Max out the 401K every year IF possible. $19500 this year unless you are over 50, then you can do more. I think an extra $5-6K

• Like 2

I can still remember my grandma talking to me about compound interest and retirement accounts when I was in my early teens. Boy was she right! Also when I started my first job out of college the older guys that worked there would harass me weekly about enrolling in the 401k, at least enough to get the company match. When I first started it seemed like it hardly had anything in it then all a sudden one day I had thousands in it. Now at 40 I only wish I had put more in at 25!

Edited by E J
  • Like 2

I can still remember my grandma talking to me about compound interest and retirement accounts when I was in my early teens. Boy was she right! Also when I started my first job out of college the older guys that worked there would harass me weekly about enrolling in the 401k, at least enough to get the company match. When I first started it seemed like it hardly seemed to have anything in it then all a sudden one day I had thousands in it. Now at 40 I only wish I had put more in at 25!

I’ve always lived by the motto “pay yourself first”. Even in my early 20’s I was putting away 10% so i never felt what it was like to have that extra $. Everytime I got a raise, I’d bump my 401k contribution a few more %, so again I never felt it missing. Compound interest is a beautiful thing over the course of many years. Those 401K calculators are fun to toggle the options with.

• Like 2

Having a balanced portfolio can be tough in years like 2019 but who knows when things will "turn" and that balance saves your bacon...........

I’m a big believer in being very aggressive when you are many many years away from retirement, then moderate, then “safer” when you get close. Having a bad year at age 25 doesn’t hurt you like 55

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’m a big believer in being very aggressive when you are many many years away from retirement, then moderate, then “safer” when you get close. Having a bad year at age 25 doesn’t hurt you like 55

A lot of 401k are set up that way already , they invest accordingly depending on your age .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I wish I could find that thread lol

I don't have a link to the thread, but I did screenshot his specific stock recommendations.  How any actual money was invested is anyone's guess, but Apple (up 85%) certainly dominated and the worst pick (DUK) had a total return in the mid-mid-teens.  

20200121_064330.jpg

• Like 1

I increased 2019 by 112k , I am fairly aggressive at age 44. My company matches 6% along with my 14% contribution.  Rob dont set an exact amount for you to retire,  keep the funds going to what ever you can until retirement. 

I bet it's safe to say for all you'll need half a million minimum for retirement with a nice lifestyle.. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

My best friend is the same age as me , this time next year he is retiring at the age of 43.  He has made a few comments about making some good investments. I've never asked what those investments were .

Is by chance he a LEO . Many of them do 20 and skate, then get another job and collect a double pension. 

40 minutes ago, sbuff said:

I increased 2019 by 112k , I am fairly aggressive at age 44. My company matches 6% along with my 14% contribution.  Rob dont set an exact amount for you to retire,  keep the funds going to what ever you can until retirement. 

I bet it's safe to say for all you'll need half a million minimum for retirement with a nice lifestyle.. 

that amount is rough est only to be able to retire today. lol    I am looking to retire at 60 if possible so 11 more years - it all pends on health insurance at the time.   But i will def by 62 and take SS.   House will be paid off and i dont need a lot to be happy, cover the basics and some boat gas in the summer. SS and cover health ins til 65.  Then enough to just supplement. Hunting land is 6 minutes away, lake is 200 yards away, walmart is 15 minutes.  Im set. 

Putting away 401 K match and a bit more now and for a while.  But wish I had done more earlier for sure.    

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BigVal said:

I have alot to learn that's for sure 

if you're overwhelmed, it's not to hard to just start. The earlier in your career the better obviously, but some employers like mine even make it easy. You can select a fund based on your target retirement date. Earlier on it's aggressive with stocks and as it ages (with you) it becomes more conservative so that you don't lose your shit 5 years before retirement (See 2006). 

Simply selecting a fund and contributing at least what your employer matches is the first and easiest step. You'll miss your 8-15% at first and then you'll just be used to it. From there I'd suggest you meet with a financial adviser and work from there based on YOUR situation. You cannot take advice from strangers on the internet because all of our situations are different. With the exception of course of at least getting your 401k going. That step is unquestioned and the first step. Next, pay off debt :) haha

• Like 1