Investment year in review.

Nomad

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Waking up, having a cup of coffee and deciding to hunt/fish/swim/etc. while you’re money makes enough money to cover your expenses for the day, so that the next day you still have the same money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m really not the retirement type. I have to stay busy . Maybe if health gets the better half of me but it’s not the life I want . My father worked for the state and retired for 2 weeks and went out and got a job just for something to do . 

6 hours ago, sodfather said:

Tesla $800 . This is me missing that boat .

My daughter doubled her money since August . Im thinking of buying 20k worth now just for shits and grins .

Also I love retirement, but I’m lazy by nature . Once this old dog  dies , I’m putting a . 22 I the old cat, and hitting the road . That’s not a euphemism for the wife either .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Team Hoyt said:

Thinking of getting into Amazon, Microsoft and tesla because its mentioned alot on here. Never done stocks before. Is it best to put $20 in each and let it go and once I make $100 on it to cash out the $100 and keep going or what

Not exactly, Tesla’s over $700 per share, apple’s around $130 and amazon is around $3200 per share. 
So I bought an investment that’s returned 40% the last two days, now I can sell it and take my money and run or I can bet it goes higher and hope for even higher returns, but it’s a big guessing game with stocks and can be very risky. Maybe take that and buy a multifunctional or etf where your pooling your money with others and the guru of the fund makes the investments which can be a better option for most!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zag said:

Not exactly, Tesla’s over $700 per share, apple’s around $130 and amazon is around $3200 per share. 
So I bought an investment that’s returned 40% the last two days, now I can sell it and take my money and run or I can bet it goes higher and hope for even higher returns, but it’s a big guessing game with stocks and can be very risky. Maybe take that and buy a multifunctional or etf where your pooling your money with others and the guru of the fund makes the investments which can be a better option for most!

So is it best to put $20 in and let it sit for awhile. I literally am learning as I go lol

I’m really not the retirement type. I have to stay busy . Maybe if health gets the better half of me but it’s not the life I want . My father worked for the state and retired for 2 weeks and went out and got a job just for something to do . 

Crazy. I hear both ways. But if I could financially, I would retire tomorrow. Not that I hate my job, but there’s a million other things more fun I would like to do and none of them pay a salary.

• Like 6

Havent changed a thing and still going up with bottom numbers.need to learn more about buying etc etc to up my odds of early retirement.
Screenshot_20201222-053856.thumb.jpg.780318f39854af19a0e7678f27047fd3.jpg
Screenshot_20210107-184321.thumb.jpg.d7fb48db0b8a2f1b8a8357f6a7241f42.jpg

The max is $19,500 into your 401k pre-tax. If you can do more than that ask about post-tax contributions (some companies alllow it)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Team Hoyt said:

So is it best to put $20 in and let it sit for awhile. I literally am learning as I go lol

Start off with an equal weight position. 
let’s say ya ya have $2000 to start off with . I would suggest you split that $2000 into four positions. You may have 20 shares of one thing but only 2 shares of another. That’s ok keep it equal weight that way when one position is down the other may be up. 
Also your not just watching one stock every day all day driving you crazy ( Like Biz with Tesla ) 

$20 in  what ?  One share of Tesla ,is over $800 right now . Most funds have a minimum amount to start as well . Also going from $20 to $100 is a 500% return , if you can average over %10 a year you’re doing good .

It’s very good you’re going to start , the earlier the better , there’s tons of web sites , that can be of great help . Vanguard has a lot of info .

heres a start 

https://investornews.vanguard/media-types/video/

Edited by Nomad

Some big money coming to Uncle Sam with these large capital gains in 2020.......

Depends on long term vs short term and income. But the keys is “gains”. I don’t think anyone has a problem with paying 0/15%/20% on their huge long term gains.

• Like 1

My daughter doubled her money since August . Im thinking of buying 20k worth now just for shits and grins .

Fun fact - about 10 years ago I was in a mall where there was a new Tesla showroom. I watched a bunch of people buy cars without test driving them and knowing they had a multi year wait. I was shocked at this. A girl worker came over and gave me the sales pitch. I said no thx to the car but asked if they were public and they were recently. On the drive home I told my girlfriend (now wife) I was going to invest $10K. It would have gotten me around 500 shares at $20/each. She said I should talk to her brother first, he was the head of a trading desk at Goldman back then. He told me Tesla was garbage and to invest elsewhere. Bad thing is I was young , dumb, and went against my gut so I didn’t buy it.

500 shares x $3,200 (pre split price) = $1.6 million. Or post split 2000 shares x $800 = same thing.

As the price got up to $100 I remember being so pissed but I couldn’t get in as they were a client of where I worked and I’m heavily restricted on trading securities. Finally 10 years later, I got clearance and bought this summer and then sold. I made $20K+ profit but still peanuts compared to what could have been lol. Oh well! I still bust my bro in laws balls about it to this day and send him zelle requests for $1M from time to time

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Fun fact - about 10 years ago I was in a mall where there was a new Tesla showroom. I watched a bunch of people buy cars without test driving them and knowing they had a multi year wait. I was shocked at this. A girl worker came over and gave me the sales pitch. I said no thx to the car but asked if they were public and they were recently. On the drive home I told my girlfriend (now wife) I was going to invest $10K. It would have gotten me around 500 shares at $20/each. She said I should talk to her brother first, he was the head of a trading desk at Goldman back then. He told me Tesla was garbage and to invest elsewhere. Bad thing is I was young , dumb, and went against my gut so I didn’t buy it.

500 shares x $3,200 (pre split price) = $1.6 million. Or post split 2000 shares x $800 = same thing.

As the price got up to $100 I remember being so pissed but I couldn’t get in as they were a client of where I worked and I’m heavily restricted on trading securities. Finally 10 years later, I got clearance and bought this summer and then sold. I made $20K+ profit but still peanuts compared to what could have been lol. Oh well!

the way I interpret this is your BIL owes you a million $$ lol

IMO the best way to get started investing is thru a qualified retirement plan thru your employment where your employer matches a percent of what you elect to invest each pay period. Say you invest 5% of your weekly gross and they match 5% so each week you’re investing 10% of your gross overtime it builds up and you buy it each week approximately dollar cost averaging so that you’re buying during low price periods and higher price periods so your dollar cost averaging each week overtime it builds up and if the market goes up overtime you make money

you use the dividends to purchase index mutual funds that are tied to certain sectors...financial...technology.. healthcare ...private equity... emerging markets other countries etc. the investment spectrum is endless.  The general idea is do not invest any money that you cant afford to lose. So have a conservative time cost average initial nest egg say set a goal of 25k or less to begin with once you get there use the dividends and additional investments to start to invest more in aggressively.  

Be conservative to start so you can learn and watch to get experience and read whatever you can about the market DAILY. 

The market is very hot right now prices are high it’s best to let the market cool prices drop and then come in and buy at lower prices hopefully like zag said lots of risk but if you buy lower and the price goes high you get a real nice return specially on individual stocks it’s like gambling with #DATA but it takes discipline guts/knowledge and luck but most all consistency.  

20 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Depends on long term vs short term and income. But the keys is “gains”. I don’t think anyone has a problem with paying 0/15%/20% on their huge long term gains.

As long as they don't reinvest all those big gains prior to that 1099 showing up in their mailbox.......

As long as they don't reinvest all those big gains prior to that 1099 showing up in their mailbox.......

Not sure what you mean. I understand how the wash rule works to stop people from the sale loophole and rebuying. But not sure what you mean about gains. You can buy immediately

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Yes have to consider Capital Gains tax due when selling outside of retirement funds but not a factor on Roth or 401k unless of course you take an early distribution which is kind of pointless.  
2020 and 2021 May end up being good years to take in capital gains on the sale of securities held both long and short outside of retirement accounts as a lot of W-2  1040 and Sub S income for people has dropped due to the pandemic  this reduction in income may offset some of those capital gains

perhaps the government being liberal minded now Will allow a lower capitol gains tax rate though I doubt it as believe the plan for next administration is to tax the wealthy.   

time will tell. 

• Like 2

Thankfully I'm not heavily invested in stocks outside of my Roth IRA and work 401K. Investing in my business has had the biggest returns the past year or two, but I'm at a point now where I'm going to start with dividend-focused investments for long-term outlook.

Edited by phade

12 minutes ago, phade said:

Thankfully I'm not heavily invested in stocks outside of my Roth IRA and work 401K. Investing in my business has had the biggest returns thankfully the past year or two, but I'm at a point now where I'm going to start with dividend-focused investments for long-term outlook.

CISGX, MACGX, and FBGRX are my favorites. But then for ETF's all the V's - VOO, VYM, VTI along with QQQ are great too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, phade said:

Thankfully I'm not heavily invested in stocks outside of my Roth IRA and work 401K. Investing in my business has had the biggest returns thankfully the past year or two, but I'm at a point now where I'm going to start with dividend-focused investments for long-term outlook.

I’ve got about a dozen stocks in my IRA ,that were picked mostly on dividends. But between the wife and I theres also  401k , deferred comp, pension , SS ( her and she waited a few years ) non retirement  mutual funds, cash , and even an annuity .

• Like 1