Investment year in review.

Nomad

10 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Ok I jumped in on Tesla . We’ll see if it’s to, late Lol . Kept the amount in the five figures just in case it is . 

you are already up 7%!. Remember when 7% was considered a good year? These days it's a good morning

I’m a tortoise ( and Boglehead ) , who always held a long term time horizon, frankly we’ve amassed a good bit and in our sixties , I don’t invest to hit home runs or strike out . 7% overall  would yield us a safe six figure return .

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I’m a tortoise ( and Boglehead ) , who always held a long term time horizon, frankly we’ve amassed a good bit and in our sixties , I don’t invest to hit home runs or strike out . 7% overall  would yield us a safe six figure return .

For sure. especially at your age. I just meant the general number and how crazy the market is these past few years.

Btw, today is Tesla's 11th or 12th straight day of gains. That's a record for them. If you hopped in 12 days ago you'd be up over 40%. Bonkers

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

Tesla is on fire this week, my son works as an engineer with the battery development team in Buffalo/ Rochester and is investing all he can, he called me yesterday and said “Hey Dad, My Tesla stock went up $45k today!” I wish I had his brains and cash when I was in my 20’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

On 1/7/2021 at 7:13 PM, Team Hoyt said:

Thinking of getting into Amazon, Microsoft and tesla because its mentioned alot on here. Never done stocks before. Is it best to put $20 in each and let it go and once I make $100 on it to cash out the $100 and keep going or what

Stay away from the names you hear. I think the money to be made is on the names you’ll hear 5 years from now . 

Tesla is on fire this week, my son works as an engineer with the battery development team in Buffalo/ Rochester and is investing all he can, he called me yesterday and said “Hey Dad, My Tesla stock went up $45k today!” I wish I had his brains and cash when I was in my 20’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. On a 7% day, that means he has around $625K, now $670K just in Tesla stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow. On a 7% day, that means he has around $625K, now $670K just in Tesla stock.

Not being a financial guy and investing moderately......my question is won't he pay a considerable amount on capital gains when he cashes out?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Not being a financial guy and investing moderately......my question is won't he pay a considerable amount on capital gains when he cashes out?

Who cares is always my response when people ask that. This is my view- you’re Paying tax on profits. Assuming is a long term gain. He’s getting taxed 15% or 20%. So $20K at most on every $100K. I think anyone would gladly take 80%

I've always been interested in getting into Dividend Reinvestment Programs, or DRIPs !  Anybody ever look into or get into these programs ? At my ripe old age its probably too late but I might want to get a Grandchild into one !

Yes. Any stock/etf/mutual fund that I have whether it’s liquid account, ira or 401k I have it setup to DRIP. Every quarter or annually (depending on the fund), you’re dividends get reinvested. For example, my 401K has CISGX. Their annual dividend was something like $1.85/share in December. The fund is only $19-20/share. So essentially I got 8-9% and automatically reinvested. It adds up quickly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sodfather said:

ABNB with a nice day today. Drinks are on @Elmo tonight!

I bet heavily on travel returning and the EV market so I had a good day all around.  Also got in on APHA on your recommendation.  Late (at $7.90) but better than never so I owe you at least two beers next time you're down here.

• Like 2

Answer depends on whether long term or short term. Short term are taxed as regular income. Long term is 15-20% as biz has already explained

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Elmo said:

I bet heavily on travel returning and the EV market so I had a good day all around.  Also got in on APHA on your recommendation.  Late (at $7.90) but better than never so I owe you at least two beers next time you're down here.

EV was good to me for Blink Charging and Plug Power.  Not Nikola tho... and what price do I drop that turd for a loss?

3 hours ago, johnplav said:

EV was good to me for Blink Charging and Plug Power.  Not Nikola tho... and what price do I drop that turd for a loss?

That's a question you have to ask yourself. If you believe in the stock and that it will rise, then hold it. But if you confident that you can be making gains elsewhere then sell and make your gains! You can also jump back into the initial stock down the road anyway. I was in this situation with RKT- for about a month i contemplated selling. finnaly i took the loss, moved the money into draft kings and PENN and made that loss back quick anyway. RKT hasn't moved much so i made the right move.

• Like 1

So weird, I just got into APHA today unrelated. I'm still somewhat mixed based on their limited US exposure, which is mainly CBD. Plus the whole merger deal with Tilray. This one was a pure roll of the dice for me.

Also got into Tesla for a small amount on emotional trading...but more or less just $ to see what happens.

For dividends play, I also got into Norfolk Southern. Similar to travel, I expect rail to be a solid bet for the time being as the economy seems to be faring OK with the pandemic and logistics/transport like NS will grow as consumers spend more as the pandemic winds down. I think there will be an appetite. I'm OK holding this for a while, too, to see what happens. It has alot of upside with the dividend and current payout rates.

I'm also looking into banks. Not sure why because they've bit me in the azz every time I've taken a position. Sucker.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, phade said:

So weird, I just got into APHA today unrelated. I'm still somewhat mixed based on their limited US exposure, which is mainly CBD. Plus the whole merger deal with Tilray. This one was a pure roll of the dice for me.

Also got into Tesla for a small amount on emotional trading...but more or less just $ to see what happens.

For dividends play, I also got into Norfolk Southern. Similar to travel, I expect rail to be a solid bet for the time being as the economy seems to be faring OK with the pandemic and logistics/transport like NS will grow as consumers spend more as the pandemic winds down. I think there will be an appetite. I'm OK holding this for a while, too, to see what happens. It has alot of upside with the dividend and current payout rates.

I'm also looking into banks. Not sure why because they've bit me in the azz every time I've taken a position. Sucker.

APHA has been great to me, good luck. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, johnplav said:

I was in Nikola then their founder went coo-coo and I sold for a lose.  I went back in but wanted to buy into FCEL so I sold Nikola again but this time for a small profit.  The very next day, Nikola jumps up 20%.  Go figure.  FCEL also jumped up so I can't complain but it didn't go up by 20%.

7 hours ago, First-light said:

APHA has been great to me, good luck. 

APHA is on the cusp of a major merger.  Once approved, the two companies will form the biggest cannibus company in the world.  But they're having trouble with the merger approval.  If it fails, the stock can tank some.  It's recent climb is in anticipation of this merger.

• Like 2

I like others got into APHA a while ago and it’s been slow but recently rising. Also ABNB when they first went public. I believe this is going to be a monster in 3 years. I’m also heavy into the chip makers and have been for sometime along with blockchain and percussion medicine. 

50 minutes ago, sodfather said:

I like others got into APHA a while ago and it’s been slow but recently rising. Also ABNB when they first went public. I believe this is going to be a monster in 3 years. I’m also heavy into the chip makers and have been for sometime along with blockchain and percussion medicine. 

Beat estimates on earnings , huge surge in demand. Loss widen though. 

Edited by First-light