Investment year in review.

Nomad

10 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Gains! Did you sell yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AMC was tanking for years , I added it to an IRA that is made up of about a dozen stocks, right after the “ shut down “ with the thinking that once things open up people will really want to do things again . 

I texted the guy who handles my Ira this AM to sell .

I have always done things myself, but this guy  I went to school with and he owns about the best financial company around, he’s always on the news, radio shows when they want to know something about the  financial market . 

He handles a small part for me and is invaluable for info and tax help for us as well as our  kids .

Oh and if you Reddit squeezers want to drive up T2 Biosystems that would be great I’ve held that dog for sometime waiting for some medical device or process they have to take off.

IMO Congress should be held to same standards as investment banks, law firms, etc. where they can’t trade individual stocks unless going through a special approval process

The issue is congress needs to vote those rules in themselves. Anytime that exact issue or term limits comes up they vote against it

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

AMC was tanking for years , I added it to an IRA that is made up of about a dozen stocks, right after the “ shut down “ with the thinking that once things open up people will really want to do things again . 

I have always done things myself, but this guy  I went to school with and he owns about the best financial company around, he’s always on the news, radio shows when they want to know something about the  financial market . 

He handles a small part for me and is invaluable for info and tax help for us as well as our  kids .

Oh and if you Reddit squeezers want to drive up T2 Biosystems that would be great I’ve held that dog for sometime waiting for some medical device or process they have to take off.

Hope you for your sell in. It’s down from
$20 to $8

$20 to $8

$20 to $8

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I don’t have robinhood but heard they shut down AMC, BB, GameStop etc

The individual broker sights who halt certain stocks from being bought/sold while others still can will end up being sued. They are already talking class action on Robinhood lol.

This is going to be fun to watch. Individual investors in large packs doing what the huge holders and brokerages have done forever.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

$20 to $8

I bought it for under three bucks . 
But it’s a good example why I’m a long term buy and hold guy 90% into funds, deferred comp and so forth . 

A lot of these kids into reddit , Robin Hood and so on ,only think things go up , reminds me of the “ airplane game “ of years gone by .

Our oldest is into that, and the youngest text me saying she wants to “ buy stock “..... If they want to play around with a couple grand ,so be it , but I can see some going all in after one big gain .

Its a marathon not a sprint .

Samanthas 401k statement got sent here, she’s up 20k  this year she’s , 28 , she should be happy with that .

• Like 1

Just now, Nomad said:

Our oldest is into that, and the youngest text me saying she wants to “ buy stock “..... If they want to play around with a couple grand ,so be it , but I can see some going all in after one big gain .

Its a marathon not a sprint .

Samanthas 401k statement got sent here, she’s up 20k  this year she’s , 28 , she should be happy with that .

Agree 100%. The power of compound interest over many years is amazing. some don't have the patience and that's too bad.

• Like 1

The only stock manipulation that went on here is really just figuring the math out on what the institutions have been doing for years.

GME exploded because of a perfect storm - the stock became under-valued recently. Not to be confused with a great outlook, but undervalued. They closed 11% of their stores this year and made only 3% less revenue - meaning their leverage improved materially. Likewise, they added an E-Commerce giant into the board who also invested into the company. As a result the stock was undervalued and people started researching it to buy in for some gains. Why is the stock so low - well, to find out the driver was that Hedge Funds were heavily shorting the stock - to epic levels - to drive the price down so they could make their money. In fact, the practice was so pervasive that 138% of the available stock was shorted. Read that again - Hedge Funds shorted the stock so much that there wasn't enough stock to cover their shorts. That in my opinion is manipulation - they were driving a company to be de-valued (it was) and pushing it into the grave. They had so much money shorting the stock that it would be almost impossible for retail investors to make any money - ever - on that stock. They gamed the system and were causing retailers to lose for years on that stock.

People figured that out and started making a case on how to properly value the stock. Math is what it is. If retail investors bought the stock and held, the hedge funds would need to come in and buy stock at elevated prices to cover their losses (to account for their heavy shorting) - in a vicious cycle known as a gamma squeeze that sends the price high, very fast. The tables got turned on hedge funds and instead of them raking retailers over the coals for years, the reverse was happening. People held the stock and the institutions bled money. Will it crash - yep. Known. The reason it is rocking is because the short calls by the hedge funds were to come due TOMORROW. So as the event got closer, the price went higher and higher. 

What is going on now is crazy, never seen before with people getting locked out. I lost about 30% of my gains with trades that wouldn't execute because of the app screwing with the stocks. This is big money throwing their weight and forcing the app companies and street to bow to their need. Major investors in RH for example are from the institutions that bled. The street is also worried that a new normal is happening as people are using fundamentals of the market to drive value as opposed to the calculated Hedge Funds using AI and Bots to bleed money from retail.

The only manipulation is these Hedge Funds shorting 138% of a stock - they were borrowing shares out that they had borrowed in, and not paid for, at the expense of the retail investor. When retail buys the available shares on the market, the squeeze was on. I suspect you will find that the Hedge Funds were naked short selling because to float 138% of the available stock takes effort and calculation. It doesn't just happen by non-manipulation in today's age. This isn't 10-20 years ago.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Agree 100%. The power of compound interest over many years is amazing. some don't have the patience and that's too bad.

You don’t have the patience!!! I told you to hang on that Tesla before talks of stock split . But in Bizarre World you sold .. 

~ side note I sold just after the split :bad:

14 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Those who got in late and didn’t sell off in time before they being locked out are pretty screwed now I guess?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most are allowing you to close positions.

So, think about that for a second. Retail investors can sell, but not buy. What you think that does to the price of said stock? Goes down. Guess who can still buy? The Hedge Funds to close out their shorts due tomorrow. This is absurd that it is happening. Thankfully I was down to my last $55 in NOK and sold it at a loss just to clear my position so I can be out of that mess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elmo said:

Those who got in late and didn’t sell off in time before they being locked out are pretty screwed now I guess?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eh it's still over $200. It all depends on when you got on. Shit could still rocket tomorrow, or you could be kicking yourself for not cashing out at today's high. I think anyone in under $100 a share is pretty safe, maybe just not buying the new boat they thought they were.

On 1/27/2021 at 10:39 AM, phade said:

I got out at 300%. What a 48 hours!

I think I'm going back to income investment strategy; this stuff is for the young guys IMO. Might dabble a small amount in short-term, but probably not more than a few % of my portfolio.

same. this shit is not good for my health. the dip down to 115 was super stressful. Not a fan and going back to long term.

2 hours ago, phade said:

Most are allowing you to close positions.

So, think about that for a second. Retail investors can sell, but not buy. What you think that does to the price of said stock? Goes down. Guess who can still buy? The Hedge Funds to close out their shorts due tomorrow. This is absurd that it is happening. Thankfully I was down to my last $55 in NOK and sold it at a loss just to clear my position so I can be out of that mess.

I stayed out of all this, but the more I think about it, the more it bothers me (halting retail investor buying).  I'm curious when they'll turn them back on?  Once values crash back down?  Or once short sellers buffer enough of their losses?