Investment year in review.

Nomad

All my plays except my options are long term 5 year plans . When I started playing with the market in 2017 my first stock was a chip manufacturer that rivaled IBM. My wife thought I was crazy cause IBM was the king at the time. My purchase is up %300 since . You have to look ahead that’s why it’s called investing . If your looking for the quick go buy some scratch offs . 

• Haha 1

Btw - I admit that I spend a fair amount on things I want but are definitely not needed.   But that spending is only with disposable income after I fund my retirement account.   I think that is part of the balance of enjoying your earnings now and later.   

• Like 2

17 hours ago, phade said:

I think its mostly over - I could be wrong, but AMC is issuing stock (smart by the company) and GME has a large SK investor group totally divest throwing shares on the market to be consumed by the shorts. Add in the BS from the platforms and I just don't see how that stock blows up unless the WSB group was REALLY right and and more right than they knew about the shorts and float.

I'm back into my REITs, dividend aristocrats, and a handful of growth stocks. I did throw $10 on dogecoin this AM and doubled it - crypto is dumb, but hey it was like buying a scratch off, lol. I now have 442 dogecoin for free, lol.

well the fact that a company worth 2-3B is valued at 20+ shows that they got something right. The question of course is just how high and when to jump? Right now I'm out at 350 if it hits that because I'm just over the rollercoaster. Maybe 300 this afternoon if it's not trending one way or the other. 

41 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Btw - I admit that I spend a fair amount on things I want but are definitely not needed.   But that spending is only with disposable income after I fund my retirement account.   I think that is part of the balance of enjoying your earnings now and later.   

yeah the money i invested in amc and gme is from my fun money account. I will openly admit to be fortunate enough that it's not a small amount, but i'm not really risking anything but future toys.

The dogecoin $10 scratch off....turned into $45 overnight. Complete gamble. I pulled $ each time it hit 0.07 and I'm still sitting on $6 of it. A friend of mine tossed a few hundred in it from last summer and fall. Gained $10K on it last night. Like buying a lottery ticket. I think he lost alot of that back today as he didn't want to sell/take gains and I told him he was dumb (joking). I think his cost avg. was 0.003 or something. He hasn't replied when I asked him what he did with his newfound money, lol.

Oh, and I'm eating a loss right now. The reddit stocks are all up double-digits. I'm ok though since I got in and out unscathed. Won't do that again for a while.

I also think the difference is that to some, retirement and investments are two different things and others its one in the same. Retirement is contribute, put your money in the right space, and let it do it's thing. Investment is money not for retirement specifically but for income or other growth/use rather than sitting idle. 

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

I do think I'm going to bail on RH though; at least not add any additional funds for short-term investments. Going to transition to Fidelity and WeBull. Their lack of capital to handle business operations is too much of an issue for me. I noted before that I lost about 30% of one particular stock gain because they couldn't process a transaction, and now the limits on stocks is pretty harsh. I already have Fidelity for other accounts so opening a brokerage account should be pretty easy. WeBull allows for pre/post-market trading. What I am finding interesting is if you scan social media and get in after market hours, often you can not chase nearly as much for short-term opportunities, like Silver. Sounds crazy to think like that with your money, but you can just SEE where people's money is going in the short term and use that as a marker; with RH and others that don't allow that type of trading until market open, you can get a jump on it. Much more volatile, but when it's consistent (IE Silver, NAKD, AMC, etc.) it's been a winner each time for a swing trade.

RH will probably continue to be my DRIP account for the time being.

Edited by phade

18 minutes ago, phade said:

Silver is up due to the same premise on shorting. Pretty crazy.

Ya and many bullion houses are out of or short the various size bars of gold as well , as of this weekend . Plenty of one oz coins , may move on some later today, once locked in via CC, you have two days to wire the money .

Many thought silver would go up over time due to Biden’s solar, and green energy , now we have shorting and those like Tesla that need physical silver buying ahead of the run up . Then there’s JP Morgan Chase writing paper for what some say is 150 times over amount of physical silver . Should be fun .

Edited by Nomad

Do not sleep on DKNG & PENN. Michigan goes live any day and NY would follow suit in 2021. NHL is gonna play. So there’s a game every night. March madness will help and so will in-game betting for NBA. Plus Portnoy and Barstool have a cult following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As noted 3 weeks ago. Boom!

Not a doomsday guy but anyone see this raging Market as a bubble ?  I mean what is really driving it?  Small business is more than struggling, we are handing out trillions in Covid relief and just printing more money to cover it which you'd think has got to hurt the dollar, we are basically buying our own debt.  How long can the market continue to boom when it is really based on what .....speculation and trend buying, government expenditures to backup business if it fails?  It interests me mostly as i look at this.  I dont have cash to day trade etc but I do pray for my 401K to get fat so I can retire ASAP.  But you guys that are heavily invested - are you starting to worry on a deflate here?  we all know someday it will come down esp when it doesnt really have much of a base.  We are leaning on the tech heavy companies cause we no longer manufacture much in the US, and the market is global but we have been writing checks we cant cash and been spending like its Christmas every day.  Now I know that if it falls to the bottom it wont matter where your cash or investment is , but I eye the market and wonder what the hell is holding it up?  We are in a pandemic, high unemployment, social distancing, closed businesses,etc etc and the market still goes up on speculation?  Hell it even went up on the day of the riots which no one would have thought.   But based on what? its def not a thriving economy.....this would seem to me also to drive things like Bitcoin up because of lack of faith in a strong dollar.  Whatcha think???  Just going along for the ride still?  Prob only way to go but it makes me wonder how this continues.....      random thoughts on a Wed in the winter- lol 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

and yes i know the market looks ahead but in 6 months but is there enough pent up spending out there to cover the investments?  Esp with so many businesses not coming back, back rents, unpaid mortages, and people that were out of work for so long.  Does June look that good?   I tend to think right now its drive up the market, cash in while you can and make it immediately thinking rather than long term that is pushing the market.  Dunno.  Just seems awful inflated - Hogs get slaughtered comes to mind 

Not a doomsday guy but anyone see this raging Market as a bubble ?  I mean what is really driving it?  Small business is more than struggling, we are handing out trillions in Covid relief and just printing more money to cover it which you'd think has got to hurt the dollar, we are basically buying our own debt.  How long can the market continue to boom when it is really based on what .....speculation and trend buying, government expenditures to backup business if it fails?  It interests me mostly as i look at this.  I dont have cash to day trade etc but I do pray for my 401K to get fat so I can retire ASAP.  But you guys that are heavily invested - are you starting to worry on a deflate here?  we all know someday it will come down esp when it doesnt really have much of a base.  We are leaning on the tech heavy companies cause we no longer manufacture much in the US, and the market is global but we have been writing checks we cant cash and been spending like its Christmas every day.  Now I know that if it falls to the bottom it wont matter where your cash or investment is , but I eye the market and wonder what the hell is holding it up?  We are in a pandemic, high unemployment, social distancing, closed businesses,etc etc and the market still goes up on speculation?  Hell it even went up on the day of the riots which no one would have thought.   But based on what? its def not a thriving economy.....this would seem to me also to drive things like Bitcoin up because of lack of faith in a strong dollar.  Whatcha think???  Just going along for the ride still?  Prob only way to go but it makes me wonder how this continues.....      random thoughts on a Wed in the winter- lol 

I don’t worry because I got 15-20 years till retirement and nearly all my investments are retirement stuff that I don’t sell, just strictly buy. So it always dollar cost averaging. Last year 40%+ was huge. It would take a market crash to wipe those gains away.

• Like 1

Agree /\

I have most my stuff in things I plan to hold another decade. We are sure to see at least a burn or two during that time. I'm long gaming it. I have the small account 50k or so to get crazy with. 

Believe it or not one of my best currently has been beer stock. SAM has been killing it for me. Bought it at $14 a share it is now at $1,067.00. 

Wish I had more in GWPH it gained 44% today.

Silver seemed to be a hedge against the Reddit shit, the rich ones are smart. I unloaded a few hundred pounds of silver for work over the weekend. It was at some great prices not seen in ages.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2021 at 7:20 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Do not sleep on DKNG & PENN. Michigan goes live any day and NY would follow suit in 2021. NHL is gonna play. So there’s a game every night. March madness will help and so will in-game betting for NBA. Plus Portnoy and Barstool have a cult following.

Gentle Reminder! Another big day brewing for both!

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Gentle Reminder! Another big day brewing for both!

I'm not sold on this one yet, especially with disposable income for the blue collar worker down. If you're in, good luck. This one isn't for me though, and you can certainly call me out for screwing up if you'd like in the future :)