Investment year in review.

Nomad

Thanks. Wife suggested home equity, for some unknown reason , perhaps she is right . House here has been paid off for, many years . FLA would be our winter place , we have before and can now rent for the winter for the cost of a years HOA, taxes, fees ,utilities, and not drop 200k on buying .

I have a mid five figure amount in the general fund of my deferred comp , that’s paying 3 some % ( I hold that in place of bonds ) we also have way to, much in cash, and about 100k in an annuity ( don’t ask ... lol )  I can pull a chunk out of . Some out of each of those was my initial thought . 

I have to meet at the bank next week, I’ll look into home equity.

• Like 1

That sounds like a good plan Nomad perhaps when you use the home equity from your Webster home and buy some thing on the gulf coast of Florida I would then seek a mortgage down in Florida and pay off the property home equity up in New York and let the Florida property take the risk Florida is a non-attachment state so if all things go bad you walk away and they don’t come after you for the difference that’s why there’s so many short sales there that’s what you want to look for next year when people realize they over paid for properties and just walk away it will happen.  In New York they come after you for the difference on a deficiency judgment plus I’m guessing you have stronger ties to your northern home in Webster then the new Florida place good luck oh by the way the other thing you could do because you have so much cash is pledge cash and get an even better rate then you would own a home equity but I’m not sure if you can write it off with a CD vs real property. What’s nice under that scenario is you get a better rate and you get the property and your money when the loan is over.  

1 hour ago, Lomax said:

Oh BTW if we get enough of us NY Hunting forum members in Florida we should establish the former NY hunt forum members now of Fla.   just saying. 

I’m in, and my def. comp is mid six figures not five  ,can’t edit it now ..... I was just going to use a chunk of that along with some cash and be done with it . Not sure that is the smartest, but i like simple .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Holy Crap. I tried to buy 1,000 shares at $13, then $15, but i kept missing and it keeps halting. I got 500 shares at $18.87 finally and it halted at $19.52

So today was a crazy day. In summary:

• WAFU stock along with EEIQ went bonkers today
  • I only dabbled with WAFU- i tried to get in at $13 this morning but my market order wouldnt work (limit only). It kept halted because of crazy gains, and I missed $15 also. I got 500 shares at $18.87 and it jumped to $21 and change. This all from starting at $8.50 today and $4 last week.
  • Then it started crashing so i doubled down with 500 more shares at $13.75 to give me 1,000 shares evem.
  • Then it dropped as low as $11's and as high as $17's. I had a sell for mid $19's, but it didnt happen.
  • I'm holding till Monday. it closed at $12.66 and post market it shot up another 25% so far to $16 again.

Monday should be interesting LOL. EEIQ is still going bonkers too. They were upo 655% down to 300% and up 71% more post market now.

Tough two weeks I took nice gains on Bitcoin and MU . Didn’t want to but needed the money to fund a piece of heavy machinery. Regardless they were monies made and that’s what this is about. 
I increased my holdings in other positions that are way down but will climb again soon. 

• Like 1

Looks like I’m up 12k or so today, that should cover the house we’re renting next Feb in Hawaii. Maybe enough left over for one of those flower shirts ....

$12K in Maui won’t even cover your alcohol tab!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

21 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

$12K in Maui won’t even cover your alcohol tab!

I drink at home mostly ,when in bars the women buy me my drinks ! We’ll finalize the details tomorrow at my Bday bunch , the kids want a Hawaiian family vacation aka I pay for it all ..... I’d like to go when it’s cold here the Mrs says we can save 2K by going in April , F that I want feb. then come home and head to FLA for a few weeks . The CPA daughter can’t take vacation in Feb. so that’s a sticking point .

Some of the beach front rentals are surprisingly affordable , well that’s relative I guess .

• Like 1

I drink at home mostly ,when in bars the women buy me my drinks ! We’ll finalize the details tomorrow at my Bday bunch , the kids want a Hawaiian family vacation aka I pay for it all ..... I’d like to go when it’s cold here the Mrs says we can save 2K by going in April , F that I want feb. then come home and head to FLA for a few weeks . The CPA daughter can’t take vacation in Feb. so that’s a sticking point .
Some of the beach front rentals are surprisingly affordable , well that’s relative I guess .

On a serious note, I went in October and it was amazing.

cff3a090b35bcd068706d887a0a1faae.jpg8d91c5a677e701f5f284f9e70c44f6b7.jpg

So today was a crazy day. In summary:
  • WAFU stock along with EEIQ went bonkers today
  • I only dabbled with WAFU- i tried to get in at $13 this morning but my market order wouldnt work (limit only). It kept halted because of crazy gains, and I missed $15 also. I got 500 shares at $18.87 and it jumped to $21 and change. This all from starting at $8.50 today and $4 last week.
  • Then it started crashing so i doubled down with 500 more shares at $13.75 to give me 1,000 shares evem.
  • Then it dropped as low as $11's and as high as $17's. I had a sell for mid $19's, but it didnt happen.
  • I'm holding till Monday. it closed at $12.66 and post market it shot up another 25% so far to $16 again.
Monday should be interesting LOL. EEIQ is still going bonkers too. They were upo 655% down to 300% and up 71% more post market now.

So I should have picked EEIQ Friday. Oh well. Prepared to take my 2nd loss of 2021. Set a sell this morning for $10 and it didn’t hit. Instead if rose to $11.58 and got halted. EEIQ halted too for rising too quick. Should be another crazy day. maybe I’ll just sell at even if it gets there

Nomad, I don't see the housing cooling in FL any time soon unless it's a large scale issue beyond just FL. 

Your logic on renting is fine for those short months (3-4) relative to alot of things (ongoing costs, making it generate revenue while you are not there, etc.). It's always combating the simplicity vs. what is smart and prudent.

If you are finding a good place to rent, maybe look at some sort of long-term arrangement. Many FL condos are organizations of some sort with X number of free units at any given time (some owned by ppl, some by the organization). Might be able to lock in a three year block and know you'll be at that building at least and in a spot you like. Sort of a middle ground to renting each year and buying.

So I should have picked EEIQ Friday. Oh well. Prepared to take my 2nd loss of 2021. Set a sell this morning for $10 and it didn’t hit. Instead if rose to $11.58 and got halted. EEIQ halted too for rising too quick. Should be another crazy day. maybe I’ll just sell at even if it gets there

I’m out. Can’t win Em all I guess

Done really well the past couple days with BW..   A "clean energy" play that seems to be getting a lot of attention with the new administration's policy/direction..   They have had a tough couple of years, but appears they have things back on track.   Analysts think there is still much upside.   

Never heard it talked about here, so thought I would share...

• Like 3

I need to start growing a pair when it comes to options. I'm now 6 for 6 on options on small scale gains. 160% with an MRO $11 Call. 40% with a $13 Call on AGNC. 

I ALMOST feel like I'm better at options than stock picking. Not sure why because DD is the same....

24 minutes ago, phade said:

I need to start growing a pair when it comes to options. I'm now 6 for 6 on options on small scale gains. 160% with an MRO $11 Call. 40% with a $13 Call on AGNC. 

I ALMOST feel like I'm better at options than stock picking. Not sure why because DD is the same....

the payback is always better but there is no bag holding. Once they expire they expire. I made serious money with aapl calls and got cocky. Today 3 contracts expire for a total loss of a $900. I can't just hold them and wait to recover like I can with stocks. 

Same thing happened with PENN calls that I should have taken profits on and got greedy. Today I closed options on 2 infrastructure companies and options for 30% and 40%. I need some small quick wins and need to stop looking for big wins. That's the danger in options i think. That and understanding the theta EV and IV.

Edited by Belo

I’ve never ever bought a short option . I always give myself 3-6 months before expiration . I’m actually 18 for 20 since 2019 . DDD is my only loss and that’s cause I got greedy . The other was break even 

Edited by sodfather

I lost my first option try on DKNG. It was up 50% quick and I waited and it kept falling. But since then I’ve hit them. Some really short like 2-3 days and other like GoPro were a month but I sold them in pierces between 200 and 300%+. It could have gone higher maybe but I made the right move as they’ve been way down now. I think the key is not getting greedy. Just picking a % you’re good with and taking it. I haven’t done an option since my GoPro success. I haven’t felt that good gut feeling in a while so I’m holding off. I missed a couple of puts j felt good on but didn’t pull trigger

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Belo said:

the payback is always better but there is no bag holding. Once they expire they expire. I made serious money with aapl calls and got cocky. Today 3 contracts expire for a total loss of a $900. I can't just hold them and wait to recover like I can with stocks. 

Same thing happened with PENN calls that I should have taken profits on and got greedy. Today I closed options on 2 infrastructure companies and options for 30% and 40%. I need some small quick wins and need to stop looking for big wins. That's the danger in options i think. That and understanding the theta EV and IV.

Most of my options have been less than 7 days held. I think MRO was 9. 

And, most of my calls have been on lower prices stuff (less than $15 share price). Trying to step up my game here...I'm OK with pulling quick short gains and not needing the home run hits, but that makes me uncomfortable given that it's less on DD and more on gut.

9 minutes ago, phade said:

Most of my options have been less than 7 days held. I think MRO was 9. 

And, most of my calls have been on lower prices stuff (less than $15 share price). Trying to step up my game here...I'm OK with pulling quick short gains and not needing the home run hits, but that makes me uncomfortable given that it's less on DD and more on gut.

yeah i've been buying sub $200 calls lately and just making smaller gains here and there. Not for the faint of heart. It's hard not to see this as anything other than gambling even with good dd. I have good DD that gonzaga is going to win the tournament. How is that different? haha.