Investment year in review.

Nomad

On 7/1/2021 at 11:01 AM, phade said:

RSUs are the famed golden handcuffs. Love/Hate!

I recently changed jobs and that RSU hit was really hard. I built that into my new salary and also a signon bonus... but without getting into details, it was a lot of money and golden handcuffs is an excellent term to use haha.

9 minutes ago, Nomad said:

It’s easier  to hit those numbers when you’re young . Mrs Nomads 401, which is our largest holding , domestic stocks ytd 35%, foreign 25% ,but being balanced the bonds at 1.5% , with a 60/40 balance stock/bond drag the numbers down .

Luckly for myself , instead of bonds, I’m in the general acct. of my deferred comp. and it’s paying close to 4% I haven’t checked my stock holdings, but our farm land is raising nicely .

you could also just ride the S&P500

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Belo said:

I recently changed jobs and that RSU hit was really hard. I built that into my new salary and also a signon bonus... but without getting into details, it was a lot of money and golden handcuffs is an excellent term to use haha.

Always tough decisions and very hard to walk away from "the big pay day", but I have tried to focus on the long term, what is going to make me happy day-to-day, what is going to progress my career and so far it has worked out...

1 minute ago, Wildcat said:

Always tough decisions and very hard to walk away from "the big pay day", but I have tried to focus on the long term, what is going to make me happy day-to-day, what is going to progress my career and so far it has worked out...

This is exactly why I  left. I have reached a point in my career where pay is good and beyond what I ever thought I'd make. It's now more about satisfaction and personal enjoyment/fulfilment. Don't get me wrong, I don't grind for free, but the company I worked for didn't really give a sh!t about me or my job function and their normal reaction to this was just to throw money at upset people. That only works for so long. And to make it worse, this particular company actually talked all the talk and said all the right things. But when I got behind closed doors with the president it was clear they would never walk the walk. A guy can only deal with that for so long before it gets so frustrating that you start answering those headhunter linkedin messages. 

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

This is exactly why I  left. I have reached a point in my career where pay is good and beyond what I ever thought I'd make. It's now more about satisfaction and personal enjoyment/fulfilment. Don't get me wrong, I don't grind for free, but the company I worked for didn't really give a sh!t about me or my job function and their normal reaction to this was just to throw money at upset people. That only works for so long. And to make it worse, this particular company actually talked all the talk and said all the right things. But when I got behind closed doors with the president it was clear they would never walk the walk. A guy can only deal with that for so long before it gets so frustrating that you start answering those headhunter linkedin messages. 

Yup. The war on talent right now is amazing. I think we are roughly the same age, and at a point where you can make a lot of demands before switching companies/firms.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Belo said:

I am ready to make the same pivot myself - admittedly I have done a horrible job in networking externally because I have been a lifer at this company with 14 years in. I'm starting the wheels in motions for connections, convos, etc. 

I made more money this year than ever before and same boat as you - the money is good but its not reflective of the risk I carry in the business and then on top of it the appreciation/acknowledge/support just isn't there. Some companies are struggling with the culture change, as are some employees.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phade said:

I am ready to make the same pivot myself - admittedly I have done a horrible job in networking externally because I have been a lifer at this company with 14 years in. I'm starting the wheels in motions for connections, convos, etc. 

I made more money this year than ever before and same boat as you - the money is good but its not reflective of the risk I carry in the business and then on top of it the appreciation/acknowledge/support just isn't there. Some companies are struggling with the culture change, as are some employees.

Maybe there is a way we can create a networking thread here..  the collective group will know more people and have more connections than each of us individually..

my current job has been great for the past 3 years but we are being bought out….  I found this job simply by talking to the right person at the right time (I never would have thought I would have found a CFO role with a public company that way, so you never know)…

just an idea….  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wildcat said:

Maybe there is a way we can create a networking thread here..  the collective group will know more people and have more connections than each of us individually..

my current job has been great for the past 3 years but we are being bought out….  I found this job simply by talking to the right person at the right time (I never would have thought I would have found a CFO role with a public company that way, so you never know)…

just an idea….  

I've seen that done before. Good idea for here though.

I'm just a peon in the grand scheme of things, ha. Service/Ops senior leader with around 250 employees in my org amongst the 16K EEs we have overall. 

My camera business has been going very well, but man is it scary to consider going on your own. Been eyeing it for a few months now. Nerve-wracking.

just an idea….  

LinkedIn is amazing IMO. Recruiters will find you immediately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I got an offer from PayPal the other day for a $25 credit for a $25 purchase of crypto. I am not much of an investor, let alone a gambler like with crypto, but I went ahead and purchased. I'm pretty impressed with my $4+ gain so far. Plus, now I can say I own Bitcoin. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1