Investment year in review.

Nomad

Went and talked to a financial advisor on Friday. Was very helpful and were starting off slow. Just wish I d have started when I got out of military I'd have a nice nest egg but never had anyone tell me about investing so here I am. Think wife is gonna go with a Roth IRA. I'm gonna invest and add to it monthly. Any help would be appreciated if anyone has any advice. What is a good amount of money to start out with? We're gonna play it safe for first year then our advisor will see if we wanna invest in riskier stocks. Hopefully in time we'll be set for when my wife retires. I'm already there at 37. 

• Like 1

Went and talked to a financial advisor on Friday. Was very helpful and were starting off slow. Just wish I d have started when I got out of military I'd have a nice nest egg but never had anyone tell me about investing so here I am. Think wife is gonna go with a Roth IRA. I'm gonna invest and add to it monthly. Any help would be appreciated if anyone has any advice. What is a good amount of money to start out with? We're gonna play it safe for first year then our advisor will see if we wanna invest in riskier stocks. Hopefully in time we'll be set for when my wife retires. I'm already there at 37. 
Good for you...retired at 37

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

I would start with $20Million. Invest conservative and make 10% each year, so $2M. Spend $1M on hunting/fishing/vacations/partying per year

20 minutes ago, BizCT said:

I would start with $20Million. Invest conservative and make 10% each year, so $2M. Spend $1M on hunting/fishing/vacations/partying per year

Lol I ain't got that money. Just a combat veteran. My wife works at a school. I was thinking around $4000-$10000. Then adding what I have leftover monthly to it. I would do the millions if I hit mega millions or Powerball lol. 

1 hour ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Lol I ain't got that money. Just a combat veteran. My wife works at a school. I was thinking around $4000-$10000. Then adding what I have leftover monthly to it. I would do the millions if I hit mega millions or Powerball lol. 

haha. Yea I would suggest doing an autopay deposit type setup. This way you're saving/investing $X each month without thinking about it and it's already baked into your budget

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BizCT said:

haha. Yea I would suggest doing an autopay deposit type setup. This way you're saving/investing $X each month without thinking about it and it's already baked into your budget

Yes thank you that's what I'm going to be setting up on Thursday. Going to start off low at first and see what I have left per month to add to it and wife's ira.

4 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Crazy as this sounds I'd get a Federal Job - Veterans Preference ! - and get into the TSP for as much as possible ! The TSP is the same 401K that Congress uses so if those Shysters use it , it must be good ! If you don't need the paycheck (retired at 37 ) you can put $ 19.500 into your 401K every year !  Just a thought !

https://www.usajobs.gov/

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 5:47 PM, GreeneHunter said:

Crazy as this sounds I'd get a Federal Job - Veterans Preference ! - and get into the TSP for as much as possible ! The TSP is the same 401K that Congress uses so if those Shysters use it , it must be good ! If you don't need the paycheck (retired at 37 ) you can put $ 19.500 into your 401K every year !  Just a thought !

https://www.usajobs.gov/

401k is $20,500 for 2022 now. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Pardon my ignorance, doesn't the iBond rates also drop with the interest ever dropping in the future?

It gets adjusted every 6 months. But IIRC, can never go below 0%. You can pull it out after a year and only lose 3 months interest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1

Biz, thanks for the info. I never really pay attention to treasury bonds as historically they have been dogs. That is some solid interest rates to boost up the "safe" investment column.

And yea too bad a 10k max

Edited by Fletch

41 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Biz, thanks for the info. I never really pay attention to treasury bonds as historically they have been dogs. That is some solid interest rates to boost up the "safe" investment column.

And yea too bad a 10k max

yea man. everything in play right now.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Goodnight Netflix!

This is really bad top down management. First-class screw up. Only a few things could have really happened.

1. They don't have a handle on their business

2. Leadership set the wrong expectations to the street.

Neither happens without leadership knowing its an issue. To say +2.5M and land @ -0.2M, that is a shock to the system. Wall Street doesn't mess around. They don't like unexpected big surprises in EITHER direction.

It'd be a great time to buy if you can figure out their fundamentals, but wow, I'm not sure investors would have high confidence at this point.

37 minutes ago, phade said:

This is really bad top down management. First-class screw up. Only a few things could have really happened.

1. They don't have a handle on their business

2. Leadership set the wrong expectations to the street.

Neither happens without leadership knowing its an issue. To say +2.5M and land @ -0.2M, that is a shock to the system. Wall Street doesn't mess around. They don't like unexpected big surprises in EITHER direction.

It'd be a great time to buy if you can figure out their fundamentals, but wow, I'm not sure investors would have high confidence at this point.

yup. one of my buddies grabbed some put options and made out well today.

14 hours ago, First-light said:

Netflix has too much competition right now and their content is subpar.  This will be the same with Tesla in the years to come. 

Tesla? Way different. Tesla's R&D is outpacing legacy makers by stupid amounts. It's scary.

1 hour ago, phade said:

Tesla? Way different. Tesla's R&D is outpacing legacy makers by stupid amounts. It's scary.

True but people always don't buy the best on market because of affordability. More options for the consumer will cut into market share JMO

Edited by First-light

3 hours ago, First-light said:

True but people always don't buy the best on market because of affordability. More options for the consumer will cut into market share JMO

It's the other way around - Tesla is eating into legacy share. Tesla dominates the EV market, which is cannibalizing ICE market. The market isn't EV vs ICE. It's cars, period.

Tesla isn't at risk of losing it's market share. Legacy automakers are.

For simplicity sake:

EV Market Share today is 10 units
ICE Market Share today is 90 units

Tesla has 9 out of 10 units in EV (90%)

Future State where Tesla loses "market share":

EV Market Share is 40 units
ICE Market Share is 60 units

Tesla has 28 out of 40 units in EV (70%)

With technology and patents holding the future of EV, Tesla is well positioned to eat a bigger piece of the pie. They also just announced more records broken today in terms of production and delivery.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

It's the other way around - Tesla is eating into legacy share. Tesla dominates the EV market, which is cannibalizing ICE market. The market isn't EV vs ICE. It's cars, period.
Tesla isn't at risk of losing it's market share. Legacy automakers are.
For simplicity sake:
EV Market Share today is 10 units
ICE Market Share today is 90 units
Tesla has 9 out of 10 units in EV (90%)
Future State where Tesla loses "market share":
EV Market Share is 40 units
ICE Market Share is 60 units
Tesla has 28 out of 40 units in EV (70%)
With technology and patents holding the future of EV, Tesla is well positioned to eat a bigger piece of the pie. They also just announced more records broken today in terms of production and delivery.

And solar panels too. Almost all my friends in California have Tesla solar panels on their houses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2