Investment year in review.

Nomad

9 minutes ago, BizCT said:

81M Voted for this America? Yikes.

Alot of this is self-inflicted. Shutting down pipeline development that first week was an omen. I'm not in the camp of placing all blame one way or the other, but there was alot of stuff that got out of whack and it's all supply/demand right now IMO. I was in NYC Wed-Fri and the price increases there were insane from 2021 levels.

One probably has to keep the long game in mind should they have time. I pity those who do not and are not diversified with income streams or where they store/incubate their wealth.

• Like 1

Just now, phade said:

Alot of this is self-inflicted. Shutting down pipeline development that first week was an omen. I'm not in the camp of placing all blame one way or the other, but there was alot of stuff that got out of whack and it's all supply/demand right now IMO. I was in NYC Wed-Fri and the price increases there were insane from 2021 levels.

One probably has to keep the long game in mind should they have time. I pity those who do not and are not diversified with income streams or where they store/incubate their wealth.

You should have hit me up for lunch! I go down to NYC once a week usually. But, yea I'm just pissed I didn't buy a bunch of USO/Oil. It's like we all knew it was gonna happen, but didn't do anything about it. Pricing is insane lately on everything and everywhere. My wife buys the same groceries every single week. We are spending 36-50% more on grcoeries per month, so I know prices have skyrocketed.

I got out of most of my fun money positions a few months ago. Still in a bunch for the long ride. I have a tracker of some of the stuff I was in or interested in being in and holy F. Like holy balls F. 

This will cost a lot more lives then the gun problem they think they're worried about. 

• Like 1

Yes diversify, towards the end of my working years I moved my deferred comp slowly all into the general fund, an interest paying acct. that’s now paying 3%, and NYS tax free withdrawals on the first 20k per year . I’ve not taken any yet. I bought an annuity , something I’m not all that big on , happy now ! Still have stock funds and individual shares , but I’m fine .

Our farm land , we thought of selling, but it’s going up nice , and the farm rents pays the taxes and makes a profit .

Wife is 40/60 equities/ bonds , although she’s not happy .

A woman who’s will we’re in , when her husband passed he left her a good sum, plus a home on the lake which she sold for a pretty penny . She put it all into a bank acct. against the banks wishes ( but I’m happy lol ) seems like a decent move now . She already had $ into stocks, mostly energy !

Anyways you got to divide it all up according to your time horizon and risk tolerance , then you can just let it ride , I’ve got zero moves to make .

I’ve been taking profits and putting them into things the last few years , RV, siding, doors , new energy efficient furnace, central air, vehicles , ammo , pressure canner, vacuum sealer, canning supplies, meat grinder . That worked out well too .

Bring it ! Nomads compound is set !

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Yes diversify, towards the end of my working years I moved my deferred comp slowly all into the general fund, an interest paying acct. that’s now paying 3%, and NYS tax free withdrawals on the first 20k per year . I’ve not taken any yet. I bought an annuity , something I’m not all that big on , happy now ! Still have stock funds and individual shares , but I’m fine .

Our farm land , we thought of selling, but it’s going up nice , and the farm rents pays the taxes and makes a profit .

Wife is 40/60 equities/ bonds , although she’s not happy .

A woman who’s will we’re in , when her husband passed he left her a good sum, plus a home on the lake which she sold for a pretty penny . She put it all into a bank acct. against the banks wishes ( but I’m happy lol ) seems like a decent move now . She already had $ into stocks, mostly energy !

Anyways you got to divide it all up according to your time horizon and risk tolerance , then you can just let it ride , I’ve got zero moves to make .

I’ve been taking profits and putting them into things the last few years , RV, siding, doors , new energy efficient furnace, central air, vehicles , ammo , pressure canner, vacuum sealer, canning supplies, meat grinder . That worked out well too .

Bring it ! Nomads compound is set !

Yup. I would have gone much safer if I was 10-15 years older. 

• Like 1

My accountant warned me back 15 months ago we were all going to pay for the funny money the government was handing out all over the place.

I would think we were all aware the stimulus stuff was silly nonsense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, BizCT said:

You should have hit me up for lunch! I go down to NYC once a week usually. But, yea I'm just pissed I didn't buy a bunch of USO/Oil. It's like we all knew it was gonna happen, but didn't do anything about it. Pricing is insane lately on everything and everywhere. My wife buys the same groceries every single week. We are spending 36-50% more on grcoeries per month, so I know prices have skyrocketed.

I got into USO back in march. Wish it was a larger sum, but it sure has been nice.

This will be an interesting ride.

• Like 1

I have made a rule to myself to not look at my 401k until after the elections lol, just heartburn. I have that in there for many many more years so as always it will come around. Or it will blow up completely. Then my plan is to take over an Amazon warehouse and a Bass Pro Shops. That should hold me for a while!!

• Like 2

I make it a point to not look. I did about a month ago because I had a meeting with my financial advisor. I was down about 20% then and I'm sure I'm down even more. On her advice I moved a few things around and upped my contribution by 2%. Her line of thinking was now is the time to invest when everything is low. She made it make sense so I decided to trust her. 

• Like 3

I make it a point to not look. I did about a month ago because I had a meeting with my financial advisor. I was down about 20% then and I'm sure I'm down even more. On her advice I moved a few things around and upped my contribution by 2%. Her line of thinking was now is the time to invest when everything is low. She made it make sense so I decided to trust her. 

Dollar cost averaging. You’re buying low so that lowers you’re overall average.

45 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

So a good thing like she said?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You remember what Mortimer and Randolph Duke said in Trading Places; buy low, sell high.

Seriously though, I think your advisor is spot on.  You're young enough to reap some healthy returns down the road.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

You remember what Mortimer and Randolph Duke said in Trading Places; buy low, sell high.

Seriously though, I think your advisor is spot on.  You're young enough to reap some healthy returns down the road.

19 hours ago, Moho81 said:

So a good thing like she said?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. because at the end of the day/recession/bear market, it has to go back up. So unless you were retiring in the next 1-2 years, you/we should be fine. and if you were close to retiring the allocations should have be changed already anyway and still fine.

Edited by BizCT
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, BizCT said:

“The stock market is the only place where people run out of the store during a sale”

For sure. I like some of the old guard stocks from an opportunity POV. Walmart, Apple, Toyota, etc. are all places where one could look at a long-term play and invest with some degree of confidence. Hard to imagine their balance sheet can't weather the storm of the next 12-24 months and rebound well enough for shareholders to look back and be pleased on returns. Most of these pay dividends, too.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Joey B just eliminated $10K of student loans and extended the freeze on payments till January. What a joke.

And what about all the people with no student loan debt? They don’t deserve $10K?

And in an inflationary environment where they want to pull money out of the economy, that adds it into circulation.

He’s buying the poor/uneducated vote again so more people rely on free handouts.

Will be curious to see how this affects the market after giving away $300 billion in unpaid debt

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Joey B just eliminated $10K of student loans and extended the freeze on payments till January. What a joke.

And what about all the people with no student loan debt? They don’t deserve $10K?

And in an inflationary environment where they want to pull money out of the economy, that adds it into circulation.

He’s buying the poor/uneducated vote again so more people rely on free handouts.

Will be curious to see how this affects the market after giving away $300 billion in unpaid debt

Dang the bad luck I guess. I have student loans still that I've been sitting on with the freeze in hopes of cancellation. Not going to help me with the income cap. I don't have issue with repaying debts but one must also be realistic if it is enacted that if you quality and don't take advantage of it, you're doing you/your family a disservice. $125K for a family income is one of the worst limits I've seen in a while, esp with inflation and wage growth in past 12 mos. The limits for many other programs are higher at the family level. What that tells me is that he knows his voting base.

3 minutes ago, phade said:

Dang the bad luck I guess. I have student loans still that I've been sitting on with the freeze in hopes of cancellation. Not going to help me with the income cap. I don't have issue with repaying debts but one must also be realistic if it is enacted that if you quality and don't take advantage of it, you're doing you/your family a disservice. $125K for a family income is one of the worst limits I've seen in a while, esp with inflation and wage growth in past 12 mos. The limits for many other programs are higher at the family level. What that tells me is that he knows his voting base.

Exactly. Why are you penalized for doing well?

I was lucky and my parents paid for my college. But they never made much, they just saved a bunch. Why don't they deserve $10K? I guess I'm just pissed because yesterday I literally made another lump sum to my daughter's 529 fund (she's 2.5 years old) and I'm doing everything I can to save for her college while other people get a free $10K, which at 8% return over 30 years is $100K

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had two priorities money wise ,retirement and our kids college . We stayed in our modest home , drove used cars till  they died, and I invested my yearly holiday pay into their  529, along with any birthday and Christmas money they received. Many at work ,lived in nicer homes, drove new pick ups and saddled their kids in debt, at private schools and history ,photography, and fashion merchandising majors . Their choice .

We  said state schools and a major you can actually find employment in .

I may have to double lock my rifles as this may just drive my wife  to the rooftops .

• Like 1