Investment year in review.

Nomad

13 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Max out the 401K every year IF possible. $19500 this year unless you are over 50, then you can do more. I think an extra $5-6K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

those days are over for me. wife, house, and kids.... all means no more five figure checking accounts.  i used to max out 401K and claimed more than 0 so i'd owe a lot but then you could put money into separate IRA to negate the income tax you owe. made an extra $2k a year that way on top of what you said.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jdubs said:

I don't have a link to the thread, but I did screenshot his specific stock recommendations.  How any actual money was invested is anyone's guess, but Apple (up 85%) certainly dominated and the worst pick (DUK) had a total return in the mid-mid-teens.  

20200121_064330.jpg

i have a feeling i read the exact article he pondered that from.

3 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

feels like a down right kick to the balls when a lot of you talk about company match for 401K. my current firm doesn't do that. last company did and i maxed out everything. not anymore.

One of the many benefits of being an "owner" of my firm.  Every dollar for retirement, health insurance and other benefits comes directly from my own earnings - not to mention the extra income tax that I am privileged to pay for being self employed.   Yay! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

One of the many benefits of being an "owner" of my firm.  Every dollar for retirement, health insurance and other benefits comes directly from my own earnings - not to mention the extra income tax that I am privileged to pay for being self employed.   Yay! 

it's no longer about how much you make and can put away. now it's about how much i keep from the federal and state governments getting their 32.7% cut.  also why i drive a stripped down extended cab work truck with power nothing while my wife has a new SUV with bells and whistles. also why i'm still building my garage i started back in the spring to go along with my home that was a foreclosure and a dump. in months i could've had a brand new house and new garage but then taxes would be very real. lol  Call me a lost sheep looking for punishment i guess.

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

feels like a down right kick to the balls when a lot of you talk about company match for 401K. my current firm doesn't do that. last company did and i maxed out everything. not anymore.

And years ago companies had pensions.  Those seem to be long gone for sure.  Even municipalities are running away from them cause of expenses.  Hopefully the 401 won't disappear to.  I think this will eventually push to a govt health care system. Pensions used to cover that expense.  People were more apt to retire at 55.  Now you have to wait til 65 + for Medicaid or pay the crazy insurance rates.  COBRA....ouch like 500 a month.  

I am a conservative except on health care.  All the money that is taken towards BS and pork could easily cover health insurance and should. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

And years ago companies had pensions.  Those seem to be long gone for sure.  Even municipalities are running away from them cause of expenses.  Hopefully the 401 won't disappear to.  I think this will eventually push to a govt health care system. Pensions used to cover that expense.  People were more apt to retire at 55.  Now you have to wait til 65 + for Medicaid or pay the crazy insurance rates.  COBRA....ouch like 500 a month.  

I am a conservative except on health care.  All the money that is taken towards BS and pork could easily cover health insurance and should. 

it's tough because there can't be so much regulation. we had 100% paid health insurance here no matter what but after Obama Care insurance companies changed everything up and now it still close but high deductible with a limit. switched insurance providers multiple times to try to keep that 100% paid intent.  I have a problem with social security. it's a broken system that can't support someone at retirement if they haven't much more. by all means if you put some in you should get some back but we should slowly phase it out. have working people put in less and less and plan on giving them less when they retire but in fair proportion. i say this because for every $1 you put in some of that pays for the government overhead to deal with it, so you don't get the full $1 back. as the baby boomer generation grows older it'll be more of a problem with unbalance of money coming in vs going out. any money the government comes up with to keep it a float would come from us anyway. taking money from one of your hip pockets versus the other makes no difference.

2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

it's tough because there can't be so much regulation. we had 100% paid health insurance here no matter what but after Obama Care insurance companies changed everything up and now it still close but high deductible with a limit. switched insurance providers multiple times to try to keep that 100% paid intent.  I have a problem with social security. it's a broken system that can't support someone at retirement if they haven't much more. by all means if you put some in you should get some back but we should slowly phase it out. have working people put in less and less and plan on giving them less when they retire but in fair proportion. i say this because for every $1 you put in some of that pays for the government overhead to deal with it, so you don't get the full $1 back. as the baby boomer generation grows older it'll be more of a problem with unbalance of money coming in vs going out. any money the government comes up with to keep it a float would come from us anyway. taking money from one of your hip pockets versus the other makes no difference.

i agree at 21years old.  The problem is ive invested so much into it that to close it at this point means no retirement for me.   If I had that to invest myself years ago or they give back what ive put in (never happen) so therefore it will go on and just be another mess to push down the road.  And again they could fund it if they cut the BS they spend our money on.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

16 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Having a balanced portfolio can be tough (to swallow) in years like 2019 but who knows when things will "turn" and that balance saves your bacon...........

That’s us , I’m 50% or so in fixed assets , my wife 60% stocks 40% bonds . As I moved towards retirement I shifted my deferred compensation towards the general fund, so,when I left 100% was in it, balanced by one fund and my individual stocks . The general  paid 4% for years,  now it’s a bit lower, when stocks are down I say “ well look how much I made in DC, “ but when they’re up I then look at the stock side lol  . We’re past the age to, be all aggressive .

Wifes 60/40 blend returned 19% this year , but that amount was double my pension , so I’m ok with “ lower returns .” 

Which brings us back to ,as was said by others Get in early and keep ,putting in what you can . First day a new kid walks  in the firehouse ,we’d ask him if he signed up,for deferred comp ? Then explain why he should , and then consider putting half of each raise in , for as long as possible , some do , some buy new pick ups , jet skis and other rapidly depreciating assets instead .

Well I gotta go return my empty cans .....

• Like 1

in theory the economy should help, but most aren't seeing it. it's really hard to find the talent we've been looking for, and so are many others. One way to attract talent is through benefits. Competition is good for us employees, and yet the health care keeps dwindling and they offer up stuff like "wear jeans to work" instead. 

F your jeans, I don't want to pay $1500 for insulin ya dicks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I just logged into my retirement account and I saw a 23.7% return on my funds. According to the retirement tracker I am on track at my current contribution and company match. I would have loved to see a 30% return like you guys where saying but it is what it is. It's still nice to know I am on track for retirement at the age of 67 which is only 28 years away. I think I will make an appointment to see our financial adviser just to double check on things and to get her opinion because my knowledge is slim to none. I just know its smart to have a retirement fund which I started when I first got a real job out of college. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
you guys wonder if Papist is all torn up that he finally has a chance to come in and make fun of us stock market guys and flaunt his hording of canned foods?

Haha, I’ll take -15% YTD over veggies any day

In 35 years of investments, I’ve never tired to market time . Recently out at 23,000 something , back in at 18,500 ! Worked out ok for now , prior to,that move down 19% overall , got a bunch of that back .

Vangaurd has been emailing the Mrs. her advisor is calling tomorrow,, maybe he wants tips ....

• Like 1

In 35 years of investments, I’ve never tired to market time . Recently out at 23,000 something , back in at 18,500 ! Worked out ok for now , prior to,that move down 19% overall , got a bunch of that back .
Vangaurd has been emailing the Mrs. her advisor is calling tomorrow,, maybe he wants tips ....

I’ve never gone against the market, but hit the SDOW for $8K gain one day and got out. First and most likely last time I’ll ever do that

• 4 weeks later...

I logged in this morning to my retirement account after getting an email saying that my statement was ready. Last year I was +23.7 and year to date this year I am -9.82%. Not to bad all thing considered. At one point it was -14% so it looks like its already recovering and I am still on track to have more than enough to retire at 67. 

Oh and it looks like at the worst time I took a $9,630 hit but its already going back up. 

Edited by Moho81
  • Like 2

I went safe after some moderate losses - should have jumped out earlier. I haven't had the stomach to take any off of the sidelines. Watching and waiting for an opportunity to put half back in something that gains me more than 2%. But I need to see some steadiness first.

Got a friend back in Rochester who told me to ride it out and I shouldn't have jumped out. He was down $150k on a $500k 401k (haven't talked to him in a couple of weeks). I don't have the intestinal fortitude to just let that kind of loss ride. He's 62, and I'm 61.

Edited by Steuben Jerry

I think if your jumping out of the market your basically betting against america which is not a good bet.

If you jumped out during this and your now sitting on the sidelines you were not properly invested prior to this and you probably are not a disciplined investor. Most people who jump out miss a lot of the rebound when it does come back.

I am young enough to just stay the course and ride this out but if I was closer to retirement age I could completely see pulling back a little and forming a new strategy.  On the other hand if I was closer to retirement age I probably would have moved to a safer portfolio before all this happened anyways.