Investment year in review.

Nomad

1 hour ago, Zag said:

I think if your jumping out of the market your basically betting against america which is not a good bet.

If you jumped out during this and your now sitting on the sidelines you were not properly invested prior to this and you probably are not a disciplined investor. Most people who jump out miss a lot of the rebound when it does come back.

Unless it's quick, I don't have time for that. I wrestled with the idea of jumping out for a week before I did. Had to make a decision to protect against continuing losses vs. missing a rebound. I think I saved myself 8-ish percent, but I plan to put some back into higher risk funds at some point. I was down 15% but got some of that back by timing after a couple of good days when the dow was swinging by 1500 points per day. I'm certainly not betting against America, but I'm not betting my retirement on anything at this point.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1

-11.68% YTD in my aggressive 401K. -4.56% rolling 12.

Regular investments I made some back hitting the SDOW for $8K on a one day whim and getting out. I dip back in here and there, but have moved some to cash for now.

Overall between investments and 401K’s, wife and I were down roughly $200k at the worst, we cut that deficit in half. Both our employee annual contributions for 401k hit on 3/31 for 2019. So those helped getting in low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im staying out til fall.  At least thats the plan.  2 reasons - to be sure Trump is re-elected and to see if there is a second wave, either of those two could make a huge drop.  I got out a little later than i would have liked but a little earlier than taking a really hard tumble.  Still on track to retire at 62 now - need to keep it that way.  

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing around with my stimulus money. Figured, easy come easy go. ;). . I like math , and graphs, etc..  Up 26% this last week. Until I came up against this stupid rule requiring $25000 in an account to be a day trader..lol

I've been playing around with my stimulus money. Figured, easy come easy go. default_wink.gif. . I like math , and graphs, etc..  Up 26% this last week. Until I came up against this stupid rule requiring $25000 in an account to be a day trader..lol

that'll getcha

Call Me The Teflon Don

26 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I've been playing around with my stimulus money. Figured, easy come easy go. ;). . I like math , and graphs, etc..  Up 26% this last week. Until I came up against this stupid rule requiring $25000 in an account to be a day trader..lol

you really want to buy and sell the same exact day? I find "weekly" trading during these times to be more fun

10 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

you really want to buy and sell the same exact day? I find "weekly" trading during these times to be more fun

I find the concept intriguing.  BUT I realize most loose their @$$. 

I knew an old farmer. Long story, but after he sold the farm he took up gambling before he came to his senses. He started day trading and made a mint . I wish I had picked his brain before he passed. He was a character. Hair down to his shoulders(until he took his hat off and that was bare) . Some of his teeth. But had well over a million in the bank.. So cheap, that if he stripped out a bolt , he would weld a nut on the end instead of going to town for a new one.

• Like 1

I find the concept intriguing.  BUT I realize most loose their @$$. 
I knew an old farmer. Long story, but after he sold the farm he took up gambling before he came to his senses. He started day trading and made a mint . I wish I had picked his brain before he passed. He was a character. Hair down to his shoulders(until he took his hat off and that was bare) . Some of his teeth. But had well over a million in the bank.. So cheap, that if he stripped out a bolt , he would weld a nut on the end instead of going to town for a new one.

Wonder how fast his computer/internet connection was.

On 4/22/2020 at 2:54 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

im staying out til fall.  At least thats the plan.  2 reasons - to be sure Trump is re-elected and to see if there is a second wave, either of those two could make a huge drop.  I got out a little later than i would have liked but a little earlier than taking a really hard tumble.  Still on track to retire at 62 now - need to keep it that way.  

One thing to always remember is that the market is usually looking and reacting 6 months ahead of where we are right? So this market meltdown was basically looking ahead to what could happen down the road from this. Also keep in mind your buying at price from 3 years ago. Waiting to get in will only cost you future dollars. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ncountry said:

Ha, I normally don’t have time to do my own but this slowdown and free trades with Schwab I’ve been buying and selling a bit. I bought a 3xl leverages fund that’s been going hang busters for me!

• Like 1

f565606fbdb700bdf69f89ddf0a6e3b8.plist

My aggressive 401k that I left untouched thorough this mess. Not up huge, but back in the positive rolling 12-months. It helps my company gave me my large sum annual contribution on 3/31 when things were lower

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zag said:

Ha, I normally don’t have time to do my own but this slowdown .....

Same here. I have been back to work for 2 weeks now. Probably better that I cant day trade.lol. I paid entirely too much time checking my phone for a couple days.

• Like 1

There has to be some tremendous stock bargains out there right now.

I got into JETS etf earlier this month. Buffet dropped airlines so they dropped. Huge upside in Q3 and Q4. I also got Tesla and added to my VOO totals

19 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I got into JETS etf earlier this month. Buffet dropped airlines so they dropped. Huge upside in Q3 and Q4. I also got Tesla and added to my VOO totals

I’m in that as well, bought it to soon so I have to add more to lower my cost basis and will double my money but this one might take awhile.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5/19: 401k back to:
-0.1% YTD
+7.89% rolling 12 months
Mine is still in the shitter. But I'm too stubborn to sell any fraction at a loss and then have to buy something new so I'm gonna ride it out till we go positive again. Got another 30 years to ride it out anyways so I'm not too worried

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, The Jerkman said:

Mine is still in the shitter. But I'm too stubborn to sell any fraction at a loss and then have to buy something new so I'm gonna ride it out till we go positive again. Got another 30 years to ride it out anyways so I'm not too worried

I didn't change a thing. Around 55% of my 401k is in CISGX (Touchstone Sands Capital Institutional Growth) , which is higher now than anytime in 2020.

• Like 1

a9faf38da1129c6527004148ad73e157.plist

401k in the green for the year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

a9faf38da1129c6527004148ad73e157.plist&key=768bd95589940b35fbcb9bc8973883da5d7cb4b655fd76c33188e31e840cdcb9

401k in the green for the year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I don't like you haha. I'm finally almost back at my peak value in Jan. Only took 5k of deposits to get it near there. Bastards!

8 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

I don't like you haha. I'm finally almost back at my peak value in Jan. Only took 5k of deposits to get it near there. Bastards!

this is just 401k, i max it every year so i can't add more. these aren't my liquid investments in the market.

• Like 1

this is just 401k, i max it every year so i can't add more. these aren't my liquid investments in the market.
Nor is mine that way either. But it still irritates me. I want more monster years. I hate losing money on paper even though when it's finally ready to be touched it should be significantly higher anyways

• Like 1