Investment year in review.

Nomad

8 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

When does Warren Buffett admit his mistake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wouldn't sweat Warren's decisions too much......he sold for a reason that was important to him and his share holders.  He's doing just fine without those stocks.

• Like 1

I wouldn't sweat Warren's decisions too much......he sold for a reason that was important to him and his share holders.  He's doing just fine without those stocks.

Yes, he’s fine. But there’s no question he made a mistake this time. If he just held on for an extra 4-5 weeks it would have been a huge difference in the loss he was taking either way. He would admit that. If I remember right he had 10% of all the shares of both Delta and Southwest. So again, he would admit it was a rare mistake for him. They both gained 50% in the past month

Yes, he’s fine. But there’s no question he made a mistake this time. If he just held on for an extra 4-5 weeks it would have been a huge difference in the loss he was taking either way. He would admit that. If I remember right he had 10% of all the shares of both Delta and Southwest. So again, he would admit it was a rare mistake for him. They both gained 50% in the past month. He took a $5 billion loss on the airlines, so a 50% gain would have certainly helped

30 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yes, he’s fine. But there’s no question he made a mistake this time. If he just held on for an extra 4-5 weeks it would have been a huge difference in the loss he was taking either way. He would admit that. If I remember right he had 10% of all the shares of both Delta and Southwest. So again, he would admit it was a rare mistake for him. They both gained 50% in the past month. He took a $5 billion loss on the airlines, so a 50% gain would have certainly helped

Maybe he’s done so well he needed the losses

Edited by Zag
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

JETs May open at $18 today?

Could be $20 tomorrow morning. I bought a penny stock last week and today it was up almost 40%. Its been a good run with many of my investments. 

• Like 1

It only makes sense only if he needed to shift capital to another stock.  Someone I know did that.  He was down but he had a feeling FB was going to jump so he exited some of his stocks at a loss so he can pump it into FB.  FB went up from $190 to $230 which made him bit of cash.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Have you considered quitting your day job and going all in at finance?

5 minutes ago, doebuck1234 said:

Still down 2% here but much better than what it was.not big into buying,changing stuff as i dunno WTH im doing.chose to ride it out and coming back

And I should have done exactly what you did. I jumped out and missed a bit of the initial rebound. I probably would have been just where you are now had I left well enough alone. I have a very short horizon though and have just about zero appetite for risk.

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Have you considered quitting your day job and going all in at finance?

No way. I wouldn't want the stress of day trading. I don't like the idea of "going to work and losing money". In a way it's like being a professional poker player. I'm actually pretty conservative with my investments. While my and wife's 401k's are aggresive, I don't move things around much. Although I moved 22% of the balance to S&P 500 and that is having its best 50-day stretch. So while I'm on a hot streak, I wouldn't want to do it daily even though it's fun to watch.

9 minutes ago, doebuck1234 said:

Still down 2% here but much better than what it was.not big into buying,changing stuff as i dunno WTH im doing.chose to ride it out and coming back

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Biz, I'd hire you. I'm still down 7% - I need a boost but have very small financial balls, lol.

401ks? Down YTD? or Rolling 12-months (June 5 2019 - Today)?

I bet you are only down YTD, which isn't bad at all. I'm only up 4-5% YTD in 401k. It's the rolling 12 which is much higher (15-20%)

13 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I bet you are only down YTD, which isn't bad at all. I'm only up 4-5% YTD in 401k. It's the rolling 12 which is much higher (15-20%)

Yes, year to date. But I checked after posting that as the 7% number was from last week. Down 5.8% as of yesterday. Today's DOW start looks helpful!

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

And I should have done exactly what you did. I jumped out and missed a bit of the initial rebound. I probably would have been just where you are now had I left well enough alone. I have a very short horizon though and have just about zero appetite for risk.

Never buy and sell based on emotion, more times than not it hurts you more than it helps. Just my 2 cents. Maybe take the bucket approach going forward. That will eliminate buying and selling on emotion as you have more of a road map.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yes ytd. Up 11% in the last 12mo.

• Like 1

Watch McDonalds Key Bank Five Star Bank IIPR and Apple if it drops to 300 Disney under 110.  Star bux is not bad. If pandemic flares look for dips in prices of these ones and snatch while on sale. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lomax said:

FSPTX  

Fidelity® Select Technology Portfolio

I am up 11% since Oct when I got in and it’s up 42% over last year well worth the 0.71 exp ratio.  One of Fidelity’s best.  

Price is what you pay, values what you get, thats what I say. 

• Like 1